Old photos and History of your Breed

How old is your breed? What were they developed for? Interesting facts? Share some pics!

The earliest record of the Beauceron dates back to 1578. It was bred to drive and protect sheep and cattle as well as guard the homestead. The Beauceron was used in both world wars as messenger dog, supply transport dog, land mine detection dog, search dog, police dog and rescue dog. Also referred to as the Bas Rouge and Berger de Beauce.

Redbone Coonhounds date back to the 1840s and were used for... wait for it...racoon hunting (and bear, couger, bobcats)! They were originally called saddlebacks because they had a black saddle that was eventually bred out to be solid red color. The name "Redbone" does not actually come from their red color, but an early breeder named Peter Redbone.

May or may not be a beauceron

Harlequin

1950s VOUGE print

I think this is probably a Redbone x Beagle

I find Beauceron history fascinating. I grew up in Switzerland (near the Alsace border) and just about every farm had a Berner and a Beauceron. 10 year old me assumed they were dobe/GSD crosses and didn't get why they were EVERYWHERE. They are definitely very cool dogs!

APBT history (I think the closest thing there is to 'my' breed :p ) is just too charged a topic for me to care much about anymore but I always find vintage photos of breeds interesting, so here are a couple I pulled from google.

Members online

No members online now.