Good or bad idea?

I have a 7 month old female pitador and my dad got the idea in my head of possibly breeding her(on her 2 or 3 cycle) with my brother's 19 month old shepherd/Akita mix. According to him a lot of people around here want good guard and hunting dogs. But idk if it's a good idea or not.

Kilter

Bad. There are thousands and thousands of dogs needing homes, creating more mixed breed dogs isn't a good plan. There's lots of guard/hunting type dogs in shelters already, no need to make more.

You could loose your dog in the process - it happens. Would you have the money to pay for an emergency c-section and then after care, while bottle feeding the pups? Do you have 12 homes willing to put down a $200 deposit for a pup, or just lots of window shoppers saying they'd take one but backing out at the last minute? Are you willing to pay to have clearances done for both dogs on the diseases related to all four breeds before you breed, so the pups have a better chance of being healthy? Do you know much about the background of each dog and their health, how long they lived, any allergy or other issues that might pop up? Are you going to keep or take back any pups produced at any time if they need a home? What if it's ten years later and the dog has cancer and gets dropped off needing expensive treatments? It happens!

In other words I'd just save up the money and get her spayed. Your brother's dog should be snipped too, he's likely old enough to be fully grown or close to it. They can always get spayed and neutered, then get 'married' and go to the shelter and adopt puppies for you to spoil then rehome.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Bad. Bad bad bad bad bad. For a multitude of reasons.

You don't know their genetic health. You don't know their genetic temperaments. Their pups could be horrible hunting/guard dogs, then what are you going to do with ten mix breed puppies? People who seriously hunt and seriously need a protection dog aren't going to want to take the chance on a pup with mix breed heritage - especially from unproven, untested, unknown parents.

Your bitch could die. The puppies could die. They could require thousands in vet care due to an illness. All of them may not find homes - what are you going to do with five eight month old puppies that need spayed, neutered, fed, and vetted? Dump them off at the shelter? There is not a demand for large, big mutts. There just isn't. Especially mutts that 3/4 of the breeds used are banned by insurance, cities, and landlords and many people are afraid of.

Just...a bad idea. Please don't do it. Get your bitch spayed and the dog neutered. Neither one of them have any business procreating.

Another idea from a breeder friend(he breeds American bullies) was thinking of breeding his male with my girl and that he would help selling the pups.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Another idea from a breeder friend(he breeds American bullies) was thinking of breeding his male with my girl and that he would help selling the pups.
Just so you know, I almost lost my female and ALL the pups recently when her uterus ruptured. The C-section was in the thousands. Then I had to wipe all nine of their butts with a wet wipe every two hours for the next several days to make them poop and pee so they wouldn't die. And I had to supervise them while they nursed to make sure she didn't accidentally squish them (if I hadn't, there would be 2 puppies out of 9 left. oi). This meant I didn't get to sleep AT ALL for several DAYS.

And that's just one tiny thing that can go wrong.

That doesn't count the cost of food.

Or the cost of formula if she had problems nursing them.

She will never be bred again. I'm not putting her through that. Please don't do that to your dog.

Plus, German shepherd + akita + labrador + pit = big dark mutt. Those are the most difficult dogs to place and the most commonly euthanized. People who want hunting dogs are going to get puppies from dogs that are proven hunters. Do either of your dogs go out hunting for real? If not, those people are not your market.

People who want a guard dog and get a buy a big dark mutt are likely to get the dog and just tie it out in the yard its whole life. Are you okay with the possibility of your puppies spending their entire lives on a chain? Are you okay with them becoming junkyard dogs? Are you willing to microchip them before they leave, and take them back if the shelter calls a couple years from now when a buyer dumps your puppy at the shelter?

There's also basic costs beyond food:

Shots - $10 each. They should get their first shots at 8 weeks, then 10, then 12. You're looking at a couple hundred dollars for shots alone if you have around 10 puppies. They also need to be wormed which costs $$$.

Basically, breeding is a total crapshoot. Your dog and all the puppies could die. Your dog could have major complications and live, and all the puppies could still die and you'll lose a lot of $$$. Your dog and puppies could live, and you lose a lot of $$$. Sometimes everyone can live and everything goes perfect, and you have perfect puppy buyers who are wonderful people and they're all sold and maybe then you'll break even :p.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Same problem. ESPECIALLY with American Bullies.

Stud is big and wide. Female is not. C-section can result, or death of bitch and puppies.

Then you are left with Pit Bull/Lab mixes. The two most popular breeds....and the two most popular breeds to be found in rescues, shelters, and being euthanized daily. No one is going to want to spend money to purchase a Pit/Lab mutt. You *might* be able to break even in regards to bitch care/vet bills/puppy care/health issues...but its doubtful.

Don't breed your girl. Get her spayed. Period.

Teal

...ice road...
Are you serious right now?

Spay your bitch, please. Leave the breeding to people with dogs who have proven they are worthy of creating a next generation.

Xandra

I would say no. lol not that there's anything wrong with a nice mix breed dog but there is such a surplus of them out there. So many of them are put to sleep for lack of a home in the USA (even puppies) that it really only makes sense to breed more dogs for a very specific purpose or to maintain a breed. Like Romy said, typically if people want hunting dogs they want pups from parents that have proven to be good on coons/hogs/whatever. People seriously wanting a really good guard dog usually get theirs from a specialized line/breed. People who just need a dog that barks and might bite can get a dog just about anywhere. And ditto Romy again--will the dog sold as a guard dog be given enough attention? what will the new owner do with it if it doesn't guard?

Keep in mind that even if you bred the most amazing guard/hunting dogs together, it's very unlikely all the pups in a litter would be as good as their parents and probably a few would kinda suck lol. Also, even if a pup looks promising it might grow up to be not so hot. So what do you do if the the pups don't look so promising even from the start? What if people don't want them once they're bred?

Now you have a bunch (could well be 8 pups, my dog was from a litter of 13!!) of growing puppies eating, crapping, chewing, needing lots of attention, needing to be socialized, getting into trouble (perhaps resulting in vet visits) etc. And of course the older they get, the harder they are to find homes for as the cute wears off. Gives me hives just thinking about it lol!

Breeders very often fill a waitlist BEFORE they breed and potential puppy buyers have put down about a $300 deposit to be put on it to help ensure the breeder DOES NOT end up in the above situation lol.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Go to a local shelter. Tell them you'd like 10 pit bull mix puppies. Wait 10 minutes while they gather leashes. It'll save you so much time and expense to go this route. I bet you could even pick what color you got. I bet a dozen that look just like your dog are available.

Seriously unless your bitch poops golden unicorn giggles there is almost no valid reason to breed a pit mutt. There are enough pit mutts euthanized in this world already, and nothing about your bitch is that special except that you like her. I'm not saying you have to spay her - there's just not a good reason to breed her.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Breeders very often fill a waitlist BEFORE they breed and potential puppy buyers have put down about a $300 deposit to be put on it to help ensure the breeder DOES NOT end up in the above situation lol.
Yeah, we had a waitlist with deposits, and even with 9 puppies there wasn't enough for everyone that wanted one. The deposits are what funded all the emergency vet bills. lol

Ok did I say I was breeding her no, it was an idea just that. We never planned on breeding her. Only dog we are thinking of breeding is our purebred miniature dachshund with a chihuahua possibly.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Ok did I say I was breeding her no, it was an idea just that. We never planned on breeding her. Only dog we are thinking of breeding is our purebred miniature dachshund with a chihuahua possibly.
Also a terrible idea.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Again, I beg you to seriously look at and answer the chart I posted earlier. It's really a pretty simple and easy to use way to figure out if you should breed your dog, regardless of breed.

rubygirl

..... why.....? I will never understand.... just why....? *slaps forehead particularly hard*

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I think my brain just imploded. Either you're planning to breed or not. Also the world has enough chi mutts. It doesn't need more. Do us all a favor and have your dogs spayed or neutered and perhaps spend your time volunteering at a shelter instead.

Members online

No members online now.