Grrr, animal shelter says keep the dog outside!

Honey_Bear

Horses, Dogs, God-Love
I am really not trying to be rude, but when I first read this I thought you where pulling my leg... Dogs shed, they pee in the house if not trained, and any dog can be obediance trained. If they like it outside better in -30c I would be surprised unless they are huskies.
Chinooks were bred in Alaska for sledding dogs. I'm sure that if she can live in Alaska, that she can live in Alabama. (Not trying to be rude. I apologize if I am)

Yes, but dogs are not children, they are dogs and have different needs. I am guilty of anthropomorphising at times, too, and thinking that my dogs need exactly what I need, but that's not true. I am human, they are canine.

The ad is not saying - leave your dog outside to roam around and be unsafe. It's my experience that shelters are against leaving dogs outside so they probably have a very good reason for stipulating this.

A life on a farm, outside to romp around and have a great time, would be ideal for a dog - matches their needs, their psyche, and their expectations in life. Sure, probably wouldn't be great for us, but we're not dogs, are we? Although we love them and treat them like our babies, and do our best for them - it has to be what's best for THEM, not what would be best for us if we were in their positions. Like it or not, there is a difference between us and they have different needs to humans.

I would imagine that if you wanted to adopt this dog, they wouldn't be saying not to let it inside ever, they would be saying, provide a safe environment, with shelter, a place to sleep, and a lifestyle that is majority outdoors, because that's what this particular dog needs.
No I never wanted to adopt the dog actually, I came accross this add while looking for a different dog breed. This is in no way personal on my part.

Heres is my reasons for being against this, in no particular order, and I am sure I will think of more.

1) Weather. The coat is not good enough for cold winters here. This may be a location thing some people cannot understand unless you have lived up north.

2) Socialization. To many people leave there dogs outside and treat them like nothing more than a convenience.

3) Barking. Yes i've dealt with this one myself. My neighbors see fit to leave two dogs outside most of the time and frankly it can get very annoying, rude and makes me want to cry for those two dogs.

4) Stolen. Yes dogs get stolen every day. So you have a fenced in yard, it happens.

5) Breaking out. Dogs get out of there yards all the time. Do I have to say that this can lead into them being hit by a car? kicked by terrible people with nothing better to do? Please head over to the articles section, there are many stories listed there about this happening.

6) Poison. Yes it happens. Your dog barks to much when left outside, the neighbors are not as nice as me, they get upset, toss over some food, dog DEAD. Yes it happens. How do you prove it. Good luck.

7) Dog does not need a walk syndrome. People think they are outside in the yard all day, they don't need a walk do they? Takes away more time they can be spending with there familes.

8) Health. How can you notice changes in your dog if you are not there?
Diarea issues, upset stomach, coughing, etc. Yes you may notice, but many people would not when there dog is always outside.

9) Being teased over fence. How many people here have posted about there dogs being teased by kids over the fence and this causing possible agresion issues with children. I believe this even happened when they where home. How do you know what happens when you are not there?

That is 9 things just off the top of my head.

Yes, not all of these are going to happen, and maybe none of them. The difference between me and owners who will leave there dogs outside is I am going to ensure there is next to no chance of it happening. It may happen to me when I am in my yard with my dog, but I have a much better chance of saving my dog than people who just leave them outside all the time do.

LacyGirl

The One and Only...ME!!!
Alot of dogs NEED to be outside. Like a Great Dane shouldn't be inside. It's just to big. I can see that a Chahuahua needs to be inside, but sometimes dogs should be outside.

Honey is a chinook (prt. German, Bernard, and Bernese Mt.) who can never run enough. Oscar is a timid, playful, pitbull/lab mix. I'm not pulling your leg, just saying that outside is better suited for them than inside. Small dogs (like Princess) should stay inside. I agree a hound coat is not well suited for Canada's climate at all, but our dogs are thick furred.
I understand. I can respect your opinion, but I would be driving myself crazy if I had outside dogs of any kind honestly.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Alot of dogs NEED to be outside. Like a Great Dane shouldn't be inside. It's just to big. I can see that a Chahuahua needs to be inside, but sometimes dogs should be outside.
Great danes actually make great apartment dogs, btw :)

Dogs do not "need" to be outside... you can't generalize like that.

A great dean should be inside? I completley disagree with this. I know at least one person on this forum has a completly gorgeous great dane, and I beleive she is also a show dog? Not sure, but I doubt that dog is outside. Not to mention the coat on a great dane, they have a short coat, definatly not a good outside coat for -30c.

Honey_Bear

Horses, Dogs, God-Love
She means that sometimes dogs are better suited outside then in. Our houses are WAY to small to house a great dane.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
A great dean should be inside? I completley disagree with this. I know at least one person on this forum has a completly gorgeous great dane, and I beleive she is also a show dog? Not sure, but I doubt that dog is outside. Not to mention the coat on a great dane, they have a short coat, definatly not a good outside coat for -30c.
I completely agree... I couldn't imagine a great dane as an outside dog...

If its -30c no dog should be outside.. period!!

Even my sisters mountain dog comes inside when its that cold.

bubbatd

My dogs have all been family dogs ... those that want in , fine . Those who want out, fine . At the end of the day they all wanted in with us at night . I feel this ad was for a wonderful dog who was untrained and destructive in the home . Hopefully the new owner will slowly adapt it to be a family dog .

LacyGirl

The One and Only...ME!!!
My dogs have all been family dogs ... those that want in , fine . Those who want out, fine . At the end of the day they all wanted in with us at night . I feel this ad was for a wonderful dog who was untrained and destructive in the home . Hopefully the new owner will slowly adapt it to be a family dog .

I agree!! The dog obviously needed to be outside because he has no house manners or distructive!

Members online

No members online now.