What breed has the least...........

Amstaffer

What breed has the least amount of genetic problems. I was having a discussion with someone and it got me wondering. I have heard that the ACD has the world record for single oldest dog but I am wondering on average what breed overall is the genetically healthiest breed.

showpug

I have heard Border Terriers are called the "Timex watches" of the dog world. One breeder I am friends with says they just keep on ticking!! LOL!

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
Acd's can suffer from PRA and BAER but other than that are a pretty healthy breed. Also very minimal hip dysplasia in the breed...........I believe what the other poster said about the Pharoah hounds is true, but then again they are not a well known ordinarilly owned dog (very rare). Remember the more common the breed the more health problems ;)

NemoGirl

:confused: I think every breed has something or another.. I know the small breeds are prone to Luxating Patella.Nemo had surgery for that in December...
Andrea

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
I have heard Border Terriers are called the "Timex watches" of the dog world. One breeder I am friends with says they just keep on ticking!! LOL!
apparently theres something called spikes disease that is getting more common in the breed, no idea what it is but i've seen it mentioned on a few breeders sites

RD

Are you dead yet?
Border Collies are very healthy for the most part. Eye problems are common, mainly CEA and PRA, but the heritability of these conditions is crystal clear and they are easy to avoid.

OCD is very common, but there is no evidence to prove that the breed has a genetic predisposition to it - a lot of environmental factors come into play with that condition. A lot of physical stress or poor nutrition at a young age can cause a dead sound dog to develop OCD.

CL is a serious condition but so far it has only been found in Australian and New Zealand show lines.

elegy

overdogged
Border Collies are very healthy for the most part. Eye problems are common, mainly CEA and PRA, but the heritability of these conditions is crystal clear and they are easy to avoid.
don't forget epilepsy.

pharaoh hounds have NO documented genetic health problems.
I knew someone who bought a pharoah hound. Their reasoning behind that myth was, "Oh pharoah hounds dont have hip dysplasia because they have been around for so long, so you really don't even have to OFA them."

When you look for 'healthiest' you are looking for something impossible. EVERY breed has health problems. Most breeds do not health test everything under the sun. There are tests for hip dysplasia, elbow dyspasia, luxating patellas, BAER (hearing/deafness), CERF for eyes, Thyroid, Von wildebrands, progressive retinal atrophy, CEA which I believe is collie eye anomaly, cardiac issues, etc. The list goes on. No one breed actually tests it all, plus there are diseases that are genetic that can be passed on that cannot be tested for, such as seizures. Either the dog has them or not.

My point is, these common problems exist in every breed, maybe only rarely, but the possibility is still there, they are all canines. Every breed has problems. In fact in ACDs we test for CERF, OFA hips (some do elbows) and we do BAER test on ears, and there is a genetic PRA test. Nothing else. I have a bitch with hypothyroidism, and I know multiple ACDs with epilepsy. Just because most breeders test for the 4 main tests, doesn't mean there arent other genetic problems out there.

mrose_s

BusterLove
most rough working breeds are pretty good.
i think ACD's CAN SOMETIMES suffer blindness or deafness at birth due to their dalamation heritage.

kelpies are also very healthy dogs.

most rough working breeds are pretty good.
i think ACD's CAN SOMETIMES suffer blindness or deafness at birth due to their dalamation heritage.

kelpies are also very healthy dogs.
Not blindness, only deafness. The dogs that are born both blind and deaf are the double dilutes which you can only have with the merle gene. It is the piebald gene in ACDs that causes the deafness.

ks02

I don't know how accurate it is, but I know I've heard somewhere that Tibetan Mastiffs have very few health problems and are very robust for their size. Supposedly they don't fully mature until 3-4 years?! For such a large dog, they have a very long life expetency as well...I think around 15 years. Maybe someone who knows more could chime in because I'm not 100% sure of the accuracy of this. You would think ANY dog that big would be prone to joint problems.

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
:(
Cocker Spaniel

Allergies
Anasarca
Atopy
Atresia of lacrimal drainage apparatus
Cataract, bilateral (Juvenile cataract)
Cataract with microphthalmia
Opaque lenses with small eyes.
Associated with retinal folds.
Cerebellar degeneration
Chronic hepatitis
Circumanal neoplasia
Clefts of lip and palate
Median fissures due to nonclosure of bones.
Corneal dystrophy
Cranioschisis
Soft spot in cranium
Cryptorchidism
Deafness
Distichiasis
Two rows of eyelashes (usually upper lid) resulting in irritation and epiphora.
Ectopic cilia
Ectropion
Outward rolling eyelids.
Elbow dysplasia
Entropion
Upper eyelid
Epidermal cysts
Esophageal achalasia
Factor X deficiency
Severe bleeding in newborn and young adults.
Mild bleeding in mature adults.
Prolonged prothrombin time, PTT and Russell's viper venom time.
Food hypersensitivity
Gingival neoplasia
Glaucoma ( acute primary narrow-angle glaucoma)
Glaucoma ( secondary to subluxation of lens)
Hemophilia B, Factor IX deficiency
Prolonged bleeding, abnormal prothrombin consumption and thromboplastin generation and reduced Factor IX.
Heterozygotes with Hemophilia B bleed more than heterozygotes with hemophilia A.
Hermaphroditism
Hip dysplasia
Deformed coxofemoral joint with clinical signs from none to severe lameness.
Radiographically, there may be shallow acetabulum, flattened femoral head, subluxation, and/or secondary degenerative joint disease.
Hydrocephalus internal
Dilation of brain ventricles with increased cerebrospinal fluid pressure.
Hypertrophy of the nictitans gland
Hypoplasia (or aplasia) of optic nerve
Hypothyroidism
Idiopathic facial paralysis
Inguinal hernia
Defective formation of linea alba causing protrusion of abdominal contents through the inguinal canal.
Intervertebral disc disease
Predisposition possibly due to breed confirmation and other factors.
Lip fold intertrigo
Malasezia dermatitis
Nasolacrimal puncta atresia
Oropharyngeal neoplasia
Otitis externa
Over and undershot jaw
Abnormal relative growth of mandible and/or maxilla.
Oversized palpebral fissure
Oversized upper eyelashes
Patellar luxation
Medial or lateral.
Most common are medial, accompanied by tibial rotation on the long axis, bending of the distal end of the femoral shaft and shallow femoral trochlea.
Lameness at 4-6 months of age.
Patent ductus arteriosus
Persistence and nonclosure of ductus arteriosus between aorta and pulmonary artery with left to right shunt.
Persistent pupillary membrane
Polygenic behavioral abnormalities
Portosystemis shunts
Primary glaucoma
Increased intraocular pressure associated with lens luxation.
Primary hypothyroidism
Progressive retinal atrophy
Dilated pupils react sluggishly.
Night blindness progressing to blindness.
Atrophy of retinal vessels and increased reflectivity of tapetum lucidum.
Progressive retinal degeneration
Protrusion of the gland of the third eyelid
Redundant skin of the forehead
Renal amyloidosis
Renal cortical hypoplasia
Polydipsia, polyuria.
Renal dysplasia
Retinal dysplasia
Reverse rear legs
Sebborhea, primary
Skin neoplasia
Tonsil enlargement