Help me pick a dog breed! Please!

Hi! I have been searching for months for a perfect dog breed for me, and STILL cannot find one! Please help.
My info:
I want a toy or teacup sized dog
I want a non-yappy dog, something quiet
I want a fairly inexpensive and easy-to-find dog
I want a dog who is not too agressive or active, a pal to just cuddle with and play with a bit
No small children or other dogs are around
Plenty of room, but there can also be a small area shut off for the dog
I have work for 6 hours, so it would be alone, but would recieve lots of kisses and attention after that
Please help out a confuzzled girl :confused: :confused:
Thxx
Skylar

BagelDog

Not crazy...
Most all toy, or teacup dogs are expensive, and yappy. I wouldnt get a puppy if its going to be alone for 6 hours most days. You may want one really bad, but thats not fair to the pup, at that crucial stage of its life. Thats all I can say. Other wise most little toy dogs like being lap dogs, and dont really need a big yard as much as a big dog would, so you good there.

Vickih

What about going to your local pound/animal shelter and asking the people there which dogs they have that need adopting and might be suited to living with you?

Although I agree with the fact that adoption is a loving choice, I consider buying the best choice for me. Plus, I mean yappy is allright, but I do not want somethig as high-strung and yappy chi. When I mean expensive, I mean, lets look for under $500

BagelDog

Not crazy...
That's unfair to a puppy in my opinion. What child would like to be left alone for 6 hours to entertain themselves? None. Buying may be a good choice to you, but consider if it is a good choice to the pup.

Also with the yappy-ness, it can depend on the dog. Iv met yappy high strung chi's, and quiet laid back ones. (Just using chi's as an example)

Vickih

I think we do understand, but dogs are like humans, they have their own little personalities, so although breeds have their general characteristics, its difficult to pin down the 'perfect' dog for you based on a breed type.

Twice I've gone along to the pound with the 'perfect' breed in mind, and twice I've come home with a dog completely different, but both dogs have been loved and have become a very good friend :)

If you buy a puppy and leave him on his own for 6 hours you're probably going to struggle because puppies are excited by everything new, usually want to be part of everything and want to explore their little worlds...usually that means saying goodbye to furniture they've chewed on, shoes, and anything else they've taken a liking to. An older dog who's used to being on his own for a few hours might just fit into your lifestyle a whole lot easier :)

ok...

I understand that animal cruelty is an issue, and that can be discussed on another board, however on MY board, MY question is not getting answered :eek: ! please only post reponses to my question from now on :D

EliNHunter

You asked for our OPINION... and you're GETTING IT. Just because you don't agree with it and are getting all snippy back at us because of it, don't blame us. It is VERY UNFAIR to get a puppy and leave it alone and think you're getting a great dog. You're just asking for trouble -- a.k.a. yipping, hyperness, etc. So, if you don't like our advice, maybe you need to find another board.

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
i think you should goto an shelter and get a slighty older dog thats trained and youll also know the size its goona be and its temperment good luck and dont yell at me for giving my opinion

EliNHunter

Now that I've calmed down from your attitude, I will add DO NOT get any kind of sporting breed (e.g. Jack Russell). You're just asking for trouble because they need to work and have attention all the time. Perhaps a teacup poodle is more you cup of tea...

EliNHunter

Well, I'm listening to my neighbors shiztzu (sp) barking her head off on their deck for the past two hours and she's always running off and not listening to them when they call. How she gets out. I don't know since they've got a fenced in back yard area for her. So, once again, you're not guaranteed anything by the "breed" you're getting. You're only guaranteed what type of dog you're getting if you get an adult and they've already been screened for their behavior patterns. Good luck.

Saje

Island dweller
Ok here's my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Puppies - it is a lot of work to have a puppy. You WILL come home and find messes if you leave them alone for a few hours. They will get bored and chew/destroy things. Their first months are a crucial age for training. While it is possible to teach older dogs new things some habits are formed.

Once you decide on a breed you can rescue an older puppy/younger adult from a breed specific rescue. For example if you decide you adore poodles you can search "poodle rescue" in goole and come up with lots of hits. Even if there isn't one in your area they can help you find one. There are also purebreds at local shelters as well but you may have to wait awhile to find what you are looking for. You can search www.petfinder.com for your breed as well.

If you choose to go through a breeder learn about reputable breeders. I know you think 'yeah, yeah, help the population' but it helps you too. Reputable breeders don't breed animals that carry breed specific disorders. While, that doesn't guarantee that the dog won't have a problem it helps eliminate it.

www.dogbreedinfo.com has some interesting articles and tools that you could use.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/ready.htm Are you Ready? Is a good article that you should read.

Here's a quiz you can take that helps you find the right breed http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm

I plugged in some answers for you, although you haven't given us enough for all the questions, and this is what they recommended.
American Hairless Terrier

Bichon Frise

Bichon/Yorkie

Bolognese

Cairn Terrier

Chinese Crested (hairless)

Chi-Poo

Chippiparai (photo needed)

Coton De Tulear

Havanese

Lowchen* (Little Lion Dog)

Maltese

Malti-Poo

Miniature Poodle

Raibs Suns

Seidenspitz

Shichon

Toy Poodle

Wirehaired Fox Terrier

Xoloitzcuintle

Yorkipoo

Yorkshire Terrier

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
6 hours your not gonna be home ! are you gonna have someone come and take care of the puppy cause do you have any idea what kind of mess youll come home to if you leave it that long small breeds to not like to be left alone at all they want to be with someone constantly and how do you plan on potty traning a puppy when your not there my guys go out at least 5 times in an hour even if you use puppy pads (which i dont believe in) you will have to put like 7 pads down can you answer all these question if not then i dont think you should get a puppy

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
same here there dog dont shut up 5 of my neightbor have them :eek:
EliNHunter said:
Well, I'm listening to my neighbors shiztzu (sp) barking her head off on their deck for the past two hours and she's always running off and not listening to them when they call. How she gets out. I don't know since they've got a fenced in back yard area for her. So, once again, you're not guaranteed anything by the "breed" you're getting. You're only guaranteed what type of dog you're getting if you get an adult and they've already been screened for their behavior patterns. Good luck.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Check out Victor..in my gallery. i found him at petsavers.com. there are dogs that need you desperately out there..and a wonderful way to greet a new friend is to be a friend in need. An older dog..or an old dog would be a good choice if you are going to be gone that long unless you have a doggy door and a fenced in yard.

Saje

Island dweller
Also forgot to mention that dogs from rescues usually come spayed and vet checked which will save you $$$

bubbatd

xox,,,,you"ve gotten some good advice here. You're only 13 and I don't know why you're wanting a tiny, frail dog. Is it your parents ??? Please at least check out adoption or go into sites that choose to pair up breeds and people. Small dogs can be very hyper, yippy and demanding time which obviously you do not have at your age.

Members online

No members online now.