Nail Dremmels

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I have to buy one for the dogs, since the new place has hardwood and Im so worried the dogs are going to wreck my lovely wood floors, so they are getting weekly dremmels.

But I have no idea where to start with dremmels, what works and what does'nt?

So what are every ones prefrences when it comes to Dremmels and what should I stay away from?

Saeleofu

I have a cheap cordless Dremel brand dremel. I love it. It was around $20ish and is perefect for nails.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I use the Dremel MiniMite. Its "low" is a bit higher than the low on their pet dremel, but the "high" is the same. Fairly similar machine and I think the price is pretty much the same too. I bought mine on clearance somewhere for $15 or $20 and I love it.

I've also used my regular 5-speed Dremel on the lowest setting. It also does the job but I like the cordless one better just for the sake of being easier to manipulate. BUT... remember to charge it frequently, or buy a second battery, because the battery dying when you're halfway through is very annoying. =P

I have a corded one, think the cordless would be a bit more handy, but I didn't buy it for dog nails.

All I can say is I think it's the best thing I ever tried. I've been clipping forever till just recently and I don't know why I let that thing sit in my garage and not think of using it on the dog's nails. They're awesome.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I have a corded Dremel as well, though I also did not buy mine for the purpose of dog nails.

lizzybeth727

I have a mini-mite too, and I LOVE it! We have a non-dremmel at work (it's some off-brand rotary tool) and it's horrible - it's really big and heavy; also the motor just doesn't feel as good of quality as the dremmel. Every time we use it, we just say we're one day closer to when the thing finally dies and we can buy a dremmel. :)

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Dremel multi pro with 10 speeds. I didn't buy it for dog nails. A cord can be a pain, but cordless can sometimes lack power and run out of juice prematurely.

Toller_08

I have a corded multi speed Dremel and I did buy it for the purpose of dog nails. I have a cordless one too, but it dies (well, slows down/loses power considerably) after just one dog. My Doberman breeder has always used the corded one, and so I decided to get one for myself. Much better than the cordless one! I do use an extension cord with it though just to make sure the cord stays out of my way.

I think this is the one I have. I'm not at home so can't check.

Toller_08

The cord has never really gotten in the way, but I worry it might with Dance because she's really awful for nails sometimes and I have to hold her awkwardly, but otherwise the cord has never caused any issues. I just like to make sure there is extra so it really doesn't get in the way/pulled tight.

SaraB

I bought a normal corded one but it was SO loud. Like you should be wearing earplugs loud. Plus on even it's lowest speed I burned myself once or twice because my hand slipped. It was just too powerful.

Went out and got a cordless Dremel brand one, I loooove it. The high speed doesn't burn you if you slip and it's much quieter.

Red.Apricot

I have the one Fran linked to, and I like it a lot. The low speed works great on my dad's puppy when she comes over (her nails are teeny) and the high speed works well on Elsie's monster-claws.

I only do 2 paws at a time, though, so I don't worry about the battery.

GoingNowhere

I bought that dremel that most people dislike :)rofl1:) for like $10 at petsmart. It's called a Peticure I think...

Anyhow, for 10 bucks, it works nicely. That being said, it has several safety features some of which I appreciate, others not so much. The "protector shield" I actually really like because it saves me from having to stick Boo's paws in panty hoes first to make sure her fur doesn't get in the way. The thing also has a mechanism that makes the machine shut off if too much pressure is applied. This is nice in that it saves me the worry of "what if Boo's long fur did somehow get caught in the machine!?" That being said, it often shuts itself off while I'm dremelling her nails just because I accidentally put too much pressure on the grinder which can get quite irritating.

It doesn't have a whole lot of power, but it's enough to take several mm off of Boo's nail without effort. That said, it's cordless and lightweight which is a plus.

For a dog any bigger than Boo (she's ~55 lbs) or even a medium sized dog that will let you do all 4 paws in one sitting, I'd steer clear. But if you have a small dog, a dog that you just want to take a teensy bit off of the nails each time, or a long haired dog, it works alright and saves you some worry. I've never regretted my $10 purchase, I can tell you that much.

FG167

I have THIS one. I love it. I can dremel four dogs feet in one sitting, one battery charge if I'm efficient (i.e. they aren't problem dogs). I have had it for 4 years or so and it just died, I bought a new battery and we're back to work!

This one, from Walmart^^^
Wasn't too happy to find out they no longer make the older style after the battery died cold dead on my old one, so we wound up having to quick buy a new one, and this is the most similar model that was at Walmart (We wanted to be able to use our old attachments with it, which is why we went with another dremel over a "pet" one for their nails). The battery sucks! literally! It takes only 3 hours to recharge, but don't expect it to hold that charge for a week. Someday we need to buy a couple extras for it, before they trash this style to and reinvent it again.

Members online

No members online now.