D60 + Sb400

Chewbecca

feel the magic
+18-55mm VR kit lens and/or the 55-200mm VR lens. The SB400 flash is an inexpensive flash that goes for $97-$100 new.
No post processing done, except for the third pic, I burned her pupils because she had slight bulb eye from the flash. No sharpening applied.
Oh, I DID crop the pics to get out some of the unwanted background stuff.
But NO sharpening.
I am AMAZED. I'm never selling this camera. And for the people out there (not here) that want to bitch about the kit lens not being sharp enough???
BS.
There is a REASON I have not sold this lens yet.
Is this sharp enough for you?

And the 55-200mm VR lens.
I had to burn her pupils in this pic and crop it. But nothing else was done.

THE END. Just took out my D60 and decided to give my SB400 a whirl on it (I had only used that flash on my D300), and these were the AMAZING results.
Well, I think they are pretty amazing. hahahaha.

Last edited:

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Do you like that flash? Good for a first flash?

Great pictures, I'm jelous! *goes to read manual for the first time* :eek:

Chewbecca

feel the magic
Thanks, guys!
Nolu,
NO sharpening applied what-so-ever!:D I couldn't believe it!!!
I mean, here I am with all of these lenses in my bag, and honestly, WHY?? :lol-sign:

Lizmo,
The SB400 is excellent for a first time flash. My first flash was the SB600, and granted, the SB600 can be used OFF camera if you want to do portraits and shoot through an umbrella or bounce it from somewhere else, but honestly?
The SB400 is perfect for simple inside shots. You get nice balanced lighting, you avoid "bulb eye" (as long as you turn the reflector/bulb up to bounce off the ceiling), it's SOOOO much lighter than the SB600 (which is why I have it), and it costs less.:D

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I have the SB-400 flash. Waiting for that softbounce? thing to come as it was backordered. And I have the Nikon D40 and I lurves it (cuz I have no lighting in my house whatsoever).

Chewbecca

feel the magic
I have the SB-400 flash. Waiting for that softbounce? thing to come as it was backordered. And I have the Nikon D40 and I lurves it (cuz I have no lighting in my house whatsoever).
You got a bounce thing for your SB400?? How are you going to connect it?
There's no velcro on the SB400.

I didn't have a soft box on mine. I just pointed the flash up at the ceiling and snapped away.

You can use yours now.:D
Do you shoot in manual?

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Uh.. I forget what the correct term thingie is on it.

No.. not in manual yet. I've had a busy week and not taken maybe photos... though I did try it in the action mode tonight and got some cool bitey face pics!!

>>It's this thing: http://www.adorama.com/SFOM400.html

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I want to get a flash like that...

I know what you mean by "burn" her pupils, but how did you do it?

Chewbecca

feel the magic
Zoom,

Since her bulb eye was not full blow laser eye, I was able to use the burn/dodge tool in GIMP.
I zoom in to about 150%, select the burn tool, put exposure up to 100%, and went over her pupils 3 times each with the tool.:D

Chewbecca

feel the magic
Uh.. I forget what the correct term thingie is on it.

No.. not in manual yet. I've had a busy week and not taken maybe photos... though I did try it in the action mode tonight and got some cool bitey face pics!!

>>It's this thing: http://www.adorama.com/SFOM400.html

That looks like it might be a little too big for the SB400?
Did you make sure it would fit your flash?

Phoenixangelwyngs

Zookeeper Extraordinaire!
Ella's ears have a personality all on their own! She's such a character! She's got such personality! The last one in particular, she has this look in her eyes as though she were looking for someone else to tell you to get the camera out of her face..... like she's tattling on you! SHE'S TAKING MY PICTURE AGAIN!!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.