Agility training

adojrts

We do work on things outside of class. We work every day on my property, and the nearby walking trail. We work on stays and impulse control at hardware stores and the liquor store. His issue is almost always other dogs - without other dogs around, he's much more focused. He finds them so distracting. So no, he's not 100%, but we do work on this a lot and he's not as bad as you might think. I've had multiple people come up to me in public and tell me how well behaved he is and I just laugh. lol

Not sure how long until he gets bored. Some nights it's 5 min, some nights it's 20 seconds. It's really hard to predict. At home he can go rep after rep and ask for more, but in stimulating environments, like classes, I try not to ask for more than one or two reps. And he's subtle about when he's thinking of charging off. I do think he's so impulse that it's not thought out so much as a spur of the moment decision.

Generally I reward every successful recall. In obedience classes, if he's run off and come back, I haven't rewarded him coming back except to tell him he's good and restart the exercise (modifying the exercise so that running off wasn't an option anymore). In agility, I have rewarded him for coming back, mostly because I was shocked he bothered to come back at all in a few cases. lol
I didn't think he was bad or you were not doing a good job :)

Ok, that ^^^^ is the problem, behaviour chain. He is being rewarded for leaving in agility. When he comes back, get him to do something/anything, spin, trick, back up to reconnect with you and then reward.

I agree with the others, expecting novice/young dogs to work in agility with more than one dog out at time is difficult beyond belief for the new agility handler. Yes it can be done and a lot of trainers do it, BUT those young dogs grew up that way and it has been trained from the get go.

Another question :) has your dog been allowed to play and socialize with other dogs at anytime in the working environment?

Elrohwen

I didn't think he was bad or you were not doing a good job :)

Ok, that ^^^^ is the problem, behaviour chain. He is being rewarded for leaving in agility. When he comes back, get him to do something/anything, spin, trick, back up to reconnect with you and then reward.

I agree with the others, expecting novice/young dogs to work in agility with more than one dog out at time is difficult beyond belief for the new agility handler. Yes it can be done and a lot of trainers do it, BUT those young dogs grew up that way and it has been trained from the get go.

Another question :) has your dog been allowed to play and socialize with other dogs at anytime in the working environment?
Thank you for th insight!

Allowed? No. Has it happened? Yes. Ugh. I know that's an issue because he always thinks today might be the day it happens again.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yes, Jess's (Jess Martin) online course, the course started last week, but that wouldn't put you behind and I am sure she can add you.
Do you know if she'll have another one coming up? The next few weeks are really busy for me so I'm not sure I could keep up.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
This is our first agility class and as basic as they get, so no options there. There aren't a lot of places to take classes and we're at the most basic level at our regular facility too (no rally or formal obedience, still foundations). He's never been off lead except for formal recalls which he adores. I think you're thinking we are more a advanced than we are. lol I feel like my question is what to do when your dog fails foundations classes. Maybe the answer is to just keep doing foundations classes for another year until he grows up, but I can't help thinking that I'm missing some things in training if a whole year of basics with a 16 month old isn't enough to do one jump or tunnel off leash.
Have you thought of taking him out of class until you get this all under control? I guess that's what I meant :)

And it's NOT because you're a bad trainer or he's not a good agility dog - it's just for your own sanity and so that behavior chains are not allowed to begin in the first place.

I also love the idea of Premacking like ado suggested. I think it's just important to take all of this stuff outside of agility then bring it back in slowly (i.e. at a speed that you will be successful at). And I know that money doesn't grow on trees, but you could even start back in foundations classes when you think he's almost there just to further proof. Stand back and don't feel pressured to go off leash until you are ready/you think he's ready.

Elrohwen

Have you thought of taking him out of class until you get this all under control? I guess that's what I meant :)

And it's NOT because you're a bad trainer or he's not a good agility dog - it's just for your own sanity and so that behavior chains are not allowed to begin in the first place.

I also love the idea of Premacking like ado suggested. I think it's just important to take all of this stuff outside of agility then bring it back in slowly (i.e. at a speed that you will be successful at). And I know that money doesn't grow on trees, but you could even start back in foundations classes when you think he's almost there just to further proof. Stand back and don't feel pressured to go off leash until you are ready/you think he's ready.
My worry is that without professional help, I'm not going to get it under control. That might be off base, but I'm afraid if I pull him from classes, we won't improve or get anywhere on our own. I did decide not to sign him up for obedience again in January because I think he's bored there and not making much progress. I did sign up for one more agility foundations class so I'll see how it goes. At home he's just such a different dog because there aren't other dogs around (or they are far away).

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
seriously focus on working the TRICKS as a reward. And, probably the thing that made hands down the biggest difference? Ditching the sit-stay for lead outs. She has a sit/ stay& does it but she's looking around, being distracted& disconnects from me while waiting for her release word. Then she zooms around doing bad things.

I don't know if it helps or not ..but I wrote out my Jess Martin/ focus saga on my blog. Starts here& continues here& here!

It is always good to hear other people struggle with the same things ..gives a glimmer of hope, at the very least aha

DJEtzel

First time back to agility after a month or so... Not the prettiest, but we did Q and come in third! We're waiting for standard now.

Fullhouse- my first time running it! 26 points in 31 seconds, and Recon's first time jumping 20" at a trial.

[YOUTUBE]http://youtu.be/625Sw51ZRV8[/YOUTUBE]

krissy

Does anyone have any suggestions or products to recommend for keeping my dogs warm at agility and when training?

Kili is a HUGE wuss about the cold. Today at agility class she was pokey, avoiding jumps, harder to engage (more distracted) simply because she was cold. I could not get her to engage in play with me (with or without a toy) and even her favourite activity of chasing me... she mostly refused to move faster than a trot. She wears her sweater for class and training now that it is cold, but evidently it is not enough. And it was cold today... but if she would just get her little butt moving she'd be fine. After the first 10 minutes I took my jacket off and worked in my sweater for the rest of class with no problems.

I kept her out of her crate most of the time and while the other dog was working I jogged and walked her around the arena and tried to engage her in play activities. Nada.

So now I'm basically looking for things I could buy that people have had success with. I'm thinking of those of you living in northern climates with thin fur coats (Penny's mom!) and what you do to keep your dogs warm when working in sub zero temps.

I am thinking about getting her a "Back on Track" coat to try to warm up her muscles at least. I know it won't really make HER warm (core temp) but if her muscles are warmer maybe that will help. Are there any jackets that are easy on-easy off or that allow enough mobility that she can run in them that also offer superior warmth? Keeping in mind that most coats for regular dogs don't fit my greyhounds well, so it's preferable if there is a "long and lean" variety of the coat (was super happy to see that Back On Track offers a greyhound coat).

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Does anyone have any suggestions or products to recommend for keeping my dogs warm at agility and when training?

Kili is a HUGE wuss about the cold. Today at agility class she was pokey, avoiding jumps, harder to engage (more distracted) simply because she was cold. I could not get her to engage in play with me (with or without a toy) and even her favourite activity of chasing me... she mostly refused to move faster than a trot. She wears her sweater for class and training now that it is cold, but evidently it is not enough. And it was cold today... but if she would just get her little butt moving she'd be fine. After the first 10 minutes I took my jacket off and worked in my sweater for the rest of class with no problems.

I kept her out of her crate most of the time and while the other dog was working I jogged and walked her around the arena and tried to engage her in play activities. Nada.

So now I'm basically looking for things I could buy that people have had success with. I'm thinking of those of you living in northern climates with thin fur coats (Penny's mom!) and what you do to keep your dogs warm when working in sub zero temps.

I am thinking about getting her a "Back on Track" coat to try to warm up her muscles at least. I know it won't really make HER warm (core temp) but if her muscles are warmer maybe that will help. Are there any jackets that are easy on-easy off or that allow enough mobility that she can run in them that also offer superior warmth? Keeping in mind that most coats for regular dogs don't fit my greyhounds well, so it's preferable if there is a "long and lean" variety of the coat (was super happy to see that Back On Track offers a greyhound coat).
Izzie has 2 BoT coats for different weather. Get the Rain Rug from BoT, it's thicker and insulated so it actually keeps them warm. I wouldn't ever recommend running them in coats though. When you need to warm up muscles quickly do short fast strokes along the grain of their fur especially along their neck and spine and down the legs. This warms up muscles nicely.

adojrts

seriously focus on working the TRICKS as a reward. And, probably the thing that made hands down the biggest difference? Ditching the sit-stay for lead outs. She has a sit/ stay& does it but she's looking around, being distracted& disconnects from me while waiting for her release word. Then she zooms around doing bad things.

I don't know if it helps or not ..but I wrote out my Jess Martin/ focus saga on my blog. Starts here& continues here& here!

It is always good to hear other people struggle with the same things ..gives a glimmer of hope, at the very least aha[/QUOTE

Agreed!!

Elrohwen and Lauren, strongly suggest you look into Jess's online courses. Email her and which one would better for your dog. Online puppy classes are just not for puppies :)

yv0nne, two of Jess's students, Ann & Jazz 12" division and Karey & Reason 20" are doing very well (both top 2) going into the finals today at the AKC Invitational in Orlando. Jess is down there with them coaching :)

krissy

Izzie has 2 BoT coats for different weather. Get the Rain Rug from BoT, it's thicker and insulated so it actually keeps them warm. I wouldn't ever recommend running them in coats though. When you need to warm up muscles quickly do short fast strokes along the grain of their fur especially along their neck and spine and down the legs. This warms up muscles nicely.
Which one is the rain rug? On their website I only see the "regular" and the "mesh" therapeutic jackets.

I don't like running her in a sweater but she will flat out refuse to move without some sort of coat on. The BoT will be nice, but I'm not even really thinking about it for keeping her warm in winter... more just for spring and fall. It'll be nice if her muscles are warmed up from it, but I don't think that's enough to actually keep her warm. And if her core isn't warm she's just frustrating to run because she just trots and jaunts and acts miserable. I might have to invest in another pair of thicket 4-legged PJs for her and run her in that and then have a top coat that I put on and off. I am seriously wondering if there is such a thing as a heated dog coat.

adojrts

Which one is the rain rug? On their website I only see the "regular" and the "mesh" therapeutic jackets.

I don't like running her in a sweater but she will flat out refuse to move without some sort of coat on. The BoT will be nice, but I'm not even really thinking about it for keeping her warm in winter... more just for spring and fall. It'll be nice if her muscles are warmed up from it, but I don't think that's enough to actually keep her warm. And if her core isn't warm she's just frustrating to run because she just trots and jaunts and acts miserable. I might have to invest in another pair of thicket 4-legged PJs for her and run her in that and then have a top coat that I put on and off. I am seriously wondering if there is such a thing as a heated dog coat.
Both the BoT coats are therapeutic, the heavier one is what they call a rug, the mesh ones are light weight for the warmer months :)

I don't use my BoT coat to keep my dogs warm but use it prior too or after training. It isn't enough to keep my short haired dogs warm when it is really cold out. I layer, put a fleece coat under a heavy winter coat and once my dog is warmed up I remove the outer coat and work in fleece one. I have a couple of different coats as the first layer, one is similar to the Chilly Dog coats, the other one looks like a mini fleece horse cooler :) I have also heated up oatbags wrapped them in towels and put them in my crate.

If you have access to electricity then a very good option is baby pig heating mats :)

http://www.qcsupply.com/250205-kane-electric-baby-pig-heat-mat-27-60.html

yv0nne

Vizsla mom

We have a Ruffwear fleece& she wears it while she runs agility+ an insulated blanket we wrap her in while she's waiting her turn. It was -19C Friday evening so I know all about the horrors of freezing to death slowly LOL!

Elrohwen and Lauren, strongly suggest you look into Jess's online courses. Email her and which one would better for your dog. Online puppy classes are just not for puppies :)

yv0nne, two of Jess's students, Ann & Jazz 12" division and Karey & Reason 20" are doing very well (both top 2) going into the finals today at the AKC Invitational in Orlando. Jess is down there with them coaching :)
Puppy classes so aren't for just puppies ..I still do so. many. puppy things with Penny that sometimes I feel exhausted from them ahah

That is awesome!! I am jealous ..I wish I was closer to be able to train with her more than a handful of times a year.

krissy

I like the idea of the heating pad. I'll have to look into that.

What's the insulated blanket you use? I'm wondering about using a survival blanket over her crate to try to reflect heat back in.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
I'm going to be honest.. I stole it from work so I'm not entirely sure but it's beautiful& very toasty warm! I will check tomorrow (if I don't have a snow day)& see if I can find the brand-name for you :)

adojrts

We have a Ruffwear fleece& she wears it while she runs agility+ an insulated blanket we wrap her in while she's waiting her turn. It was -19C Friday evening so I know all about the horrors of freezing to death slowly LOL!

Puppy classes so aren't for just puppies ..I still do so. many. puppy things with Penny that sometimes I feel exhausted from them ahah

That is awesome!! I am jealous ..I wish I was closer to be able to train with her more than a handful of times a year.
Jess comes to my place once or twice a month (Oct - May) to give lessons and workshops during the fall/winter/spring :) I had just started going to her place for lessons this summer when Punk got hurt :(

Btw, her Jrt Hijack? He is Siri's and Punk's littermate :)

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Jess comes to my place once or twice a month (Oct - May) to give lessons and workshops during the fall/winter/spring :) I had just started going to her place for lessons this summer when Punk got hurt :(

Btw, her Jrt Hijack? He is Siri's and Punk's littermate :)
I am sooo jealous ..is it reasonable to move to be closer to amazing agility people?!!

She was telling us hilarious stories of that boy when she was down. Neat to know he's one of yours! I will be grateful to Jess forever for being SO kind when Penny made a fool of me at her first seminar. I was so embarrassed and she was like 'I love Penny. I'll run her for you.' I know a lot of 'instructors' who wouldn't be so forgiving of the bad dog!

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug

I don't know why it's not listed on their website but it's different than the regular and mesh, it's thicker and actually insulated. My friend is a distributor for BoT.

dog by mandypug, on Flickr

It's #3250

krissy

I don't know why it's not listed on their website but it's different than the regular and mesh, it's thicker and actually insulated. My friend is a distributor for BoT.

It's #3250
Hmmm... Do you know if it comes in a greyhound variety? I noticed that the regular does but the mesh ones not (at least it's not listed).

I wonder why it's not on the website. I wonder if I could e-mail them to order it?

Members online

No members online now.