DNA Testing

I'm sure there's already threads on this but the search tool has been holding out on me for a couple hours, so sorry to post again. :( I know there are a few different DNA tests out there that will supposedly determine your mixed-breed dog's heritage. I can't say I have a whole lot of confidence in them and I'm pretty sure most of us are the same.

http://youtu.be/4a4CDvK868w

That's probably one of my favourite videos explaining how the tests aren't accurate - a champion dual registered AST/APBT came back as mostly Border Collie, with Boston Terrier and Bulldog in the mix.

What articles/research/material have you found that weighs for or against the DNA testing? I've read a few articles suggesting the tests ARE accurate, but these always cite the companies' websites or employees so I'm pretty sure that's a strong bias. At this point I'm more interested in any material that suggests the tests aren't reliable.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Many times I have read it is far more about who is reading the test (the techs) than how valid the mapping system is (which still needs time but it has proven to get better with time and experience).

I have a few friends who've DNA'd their purebred dogs and received proper readings.

I wish it was cheaper though, I'd run my pit bulls just for the humor of it.

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
I tried it when they first came out, so they had less breeds in the database. My dog looked like a square German Shepherd. (The seller said part Malinois.) The DNA test said St. Bernard, Collie and Shiz tzu. If you have the money to spare, have fun with it, but I wouldn't take it seriously.

MoparStar

Try not; DO or do not
while i have not got the info you are asking for

My vet, who is also my best friend, and Idecided to test the accuracy or the wisdom panel which is purported to be the most accurate. We sent samples for the following dogs of known parentage: purebred pedigreed dogs: dachshund, rottie, bichon, siberian and lab. Mixed breeds: cocker/poodle, lab/poodle, yorkie/pom pug/beagle and chi/pom. Interestingly enough out of all of these samples not one of them was accurate at all. Mind you this was several years ago and we blew some of our tax refunds doing this lol. It was fun but that is all it was. Try searching google scholar for more peer reviewed studies and publications. Back when we did our little experiment there was already quite a bit of data, Iam sure that has grown.

Members online

No members online now.