6 months or 24 weeks?

When I first visited my vet I enquired when I could get shadow spayed. I was told 6 months or her first heat, whichever was sooner. Now I want her done asap, cos she spends a lot of time with Lee's parents dog Monty, who hasn't been done. And I dont want any "accidents" what so ever!

Now my question is, when the vet says 6 months does he mean six months as in she was born on 7th April, that means she cant be done until 7th Oct? Or is like 6 x 28 days which means I could have her done 22nd Sept?

Any advice? Its just Im feeling really twitchy eveytime he tries to mount her, I now she's only 4 months a the moment, but man, it makes me so uncomfotable when I see him trying to do that! :eek:

Since they're doing very young puppies now, I can't imagine that a few days will be crucial. I think the earlier, the easier. My first dog was spayed, back in the 1980's, as an adult who'd had a litter, and it was very hard on her. My next two were both spayed before their first birthdays, and seemed nearly unaffected by the procedure.

Thats good to know, I'll have to give the vets a ring to check with them, see what they say. I just really dont want her to get accidentally pregnant, there are quite enough mixed breeds in the shelters at the moment without me adding to them.

showpug

A week or two doesn't make a difference. The vets are not that picky. It just needs to be done around 6 months. At the vet clinic I worked at they always said 5 1/2 to 6 months was fine. As far as the mounting goes, he's just playing and trying to exert dominance. Mature males generally don't mount until a female is in standing heat etc. If both dogs are young, it's play...BUT, you are very responsible and better safe than sorry ;)

caseyolee

Border Collies R' Us
My friends 7 mon old heeler pup ALWAYS tries to hump the crap out of my 7 mon ild BC pup. It's SOOO annoying.

Members online