Big day is coming

sarge

Just a pup
My dog is getting neutered on Wednesday. The vet said not to feed him after 7 p.m. the day before. My parents dog was neutered and he was fine afterwards, but people have been telling my husband and I that our dog is going to run away when we bring him home. They also said that he won't trust us anymore. We live on a farm so I let Sarge run around outside when I am milking cows and then I let him out of the house when he has to go to the bathroom. He stays around the farm. Hunting in the fields or down to the neighbors playing with their spayed dog. I don't want him to run away or loose trust in us. The same day our cat is also being neutered and declawed. I don't want him to have trust issues with us either. Also is there anything I should do post neutering for my dog and cat?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
If your dog didn't run away before the surgery, he's not going to run away after. If he trusted you before the surgery, he'll trust you after. He may not like car rides as much for awhile, but that's tolerable. :)

The things you can do is try to keep him as calm as possible, no running or jumping about and keep him from licking the incision site. You may need to buy an Elizabethan collar if they vet doesn't give you one; that's the "lampshade" that will prevent him from licking himself, but he can still eat and drink with it on.

Let us know how it goes! Oh, and depending on how soon after the surgery you pick him up, he may be very groggy and lethargic. This is normal; scary to see, but normal.

sarge

Just a pup
the vet said that he can come home the same day, but my cat has to stay overnight.

My 5 month old Collie was neutered last Wednesday 11/8. He did great!! I dropped him off around 9am and picked him up at 4:30pm. I called at noon and they said he was finished and doing fine.

He did come home with a shot of pain meds and was quite groggy. If your pup is small enough to fit in a crate I would bring it because even though Colt had a seat belt harness on, he wanted to stand and I was worried about him losing his balance and falling. Bring a favorite blanket or toy when you pick him up to comfort him.

Colt wore an Elizabethan collar and the first one did not fit well. I noticed he could still get to the site and lick and nip. Fortunately, the emergency vet service in my area sold me a larger one. This is quite common with dogs with longer snouts so be on the look out. Also, Colt wore the collar for 6 days - I only took it off him to eat and under CLOSE supervision. He was insane about getting to the incision!!

You must supervise your puppy closely in the days following the surgery. Colt would do to much activity and then the incision would swell and be painful. He would cry and it was very sad. I had to put him away in order to make him rest and recover properly as he obviously didn't know enough to limit himself.

It is 7 days post surgery and Colt is doing GREAT!! No trust issues here at all. He seems to love us just as much. I will say that this was a bigger deal then my friends made it out to be. They told me he would be fine the next day and he wasn't. It took about 5-6 days before he was back to normal.

Good luck and if you have any questions, please ask.

Members online

No members online now.