Which one should I get?

Ladydame

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum. I am currently looking another dog. I already have a 6 year old Basset Hound who is queen of the house. I have always wanted a siberian husky or a german shepherd. I live in a townhouse currently, but we are moving after we get married in September. I exercise everyday, with walks outside. I don't know which one I should get. I'm a nurse at a hospital in NC and work two 12 hour shifts a week. I just need some help in deciding. I know you read all the techincal stuff, but until you talk to people in similar situations you don't really know what to think. Any suggestions on which one?
Thanks!

Brattina88

Who takes care of your dog while you are working those shifts?
Wow, the energy level/exercise needed compared to a basset is going to be drastically different.
It really depends on what your looking for in a dog. Huskies, while very beautiful, tend to be harder to train, and can not be trusted off leash (w/o a fence)
Both breeds need an owner who can establish who is in charge, and implement some serious obediance training.
Were you wanting a puppy or an adult?
Are you up for the shedding :eek: lol

Siberian Huskies are very independent and can be difficult to deal with at times. They NEED tons of exercise a day to keep them contained or else they can become very destructive and can be escape artists.

German Shepherd Dogs are divided into little mini breeds. Research the lines you want and what you can handle before going out and getting one. There are many different kinds of GSD's (unfortunately due to bad breeding). You can go with American Show lines who are fairly easy to deal with and most pocess little drive making them easier to deal with. American working lines are a step up but easier to handle than a german working line GSD. Then you have Czech working line who are hard dogs unlike the american bred. Then you have your west german and DDR lines. DDR's are very hard and have alot of drive. West German Working line dogs pocess a little edgy attitude to them. I like to think of it as more personality but many can be hard to handle. Most working GSD's come from lines other than American bred. Look what you want and see what you can handle. But please do not run out and get a GSD and not know anything about the line then you have a disaster. I've seen that happen too many times. Thats what happened to my Caza. This family imported him from Germany from West german working lines. At 7 months old he challenged the father and he was out. I blame the family for not researching it and jsut buying a dog out of no where. Caza would have probably been euth. a LONG time ago for biting someone. Even now he's still a freak, lol. But he knows better than to try anything with me. The difference between me and the family is that I handle him like he should be handled whereas they treated him as a teddybear. Just some things to think about, :D

anna84

no offense but other then the fact that their both beautiful i can't see deciding between these two breeds to be difficult, their so different.

GSD's are far more trainable meant to work with people, great watch and gaurd dogs. shed constantly

Huskies are independent known for not being dependable off leash, very dog and people friendly, blow coat i think once or twice a year

both are really intelligent though in vastly different ways both need a lot of physical and mental stimulation

L

LabBreeder

My question is how will the basset hound (who is "queen") react with a new dog...whether it's male or female? Puppy or adult?

pitbulliest

Do lots of research on the breeds...make sure they will fit your and your basset's lifestyle, and that you can provide both dogs with everything they need to be happy and healthy....also keep in mind your basset...she might get jealous with a new dog in town....and whatever you decide, please rescue..do not buy from a pet store or from a backyard breeder.

Like others have said, Siberian Huskies and German Shepherds are VERY different.

Siberian Huskies are high energy, high drive, super friendly dogs that love everyone! They have intense prey drive and therefore can;t be trusted around small animals (this includes little dogs too!!!) and livestock. Expect to be challenged throughout the dog''s life as they are quite dominant. Don;t expect a push-button dog because they are very stubborn and independent. Sometimes when I call Ronan in he stand there with a very blank expression on his face just staring. He knows the command "come" no questions about that, he simply does not care. The fact that they don''t take commands to well isnt a question of dominance though some misinterpret it as such, it''s simply the independence shining through.

I hope you enjoy 1-2hr walks daily because that is what these guys need. The faster the pace the better for them. When summer time comes its ok to reduce this and decrease the pace simply because of the heat but they still have to get out there. Also they need training to keep their minds busy. They do love to learn once you find their motivation and they can be trained just takes extra effort with them.

If their excercise need aren;t met they will find an outlet for their energy in less desirable ways...AKA completely gutting your house and ripping everything to shreds. Remember, a tired Sibe is a good Sibe.

A Sibe from show lines will have that look you see most often in the media, the stocky, thick look like the dogs in 8 Below and Snow Dogs. These guys are a little calmer and laid back but still high energy. A Sibe from working lines would be a little rangy-er and more high energy. They''re constantly on the go and super fast too!

Remember, Sibes can NOT be trusted off leash in an unfenced area and for complete peace fo mind they must have a 6ft fence or be tied up. When they get loose they run fast and far whether you;''re along for the ride or not. I had a mushing friend lose two dogs and the next day they were a few hours drive away!!!! They ran all day and all night before they were caught and when he did pick them up they were ready for more!

Balto

I have never had a GSD so not sure on that (have heard great things about them)

I have a Husky, she is pretty much what every one else has said. TONS of energy, loves to go go go. My wife and I along with our Lab will be dead tired from our long walks, but she wants to play ball or play afterwards :eek: she would also jump over our chain fence (reg size fence) but she would not do this around us. She acts perfect when we are around and minds well. Unliek others have said our Husky listens to us /shrug

She listens ALOT better then our Lab (both same age)

So mainly just know if you pick a Husky you will more then likely (in my exp) get a dog with TONS of energy and loves everyone, BUT in reguards to them not listening to you is pretty much going to be a dog by dog thing were training and experiances will mold its personality and behavior :)

PS. wrote this fast (at work) so sorry for bad grammer

Members online

No members online now.