Horse Flies

jess2416

Who woulda thought
** Not sure where to put this** Please move if necesary(sp)**

Does anyone know of any kind or if there is any ointment that will repel horse flies (not sure if that is what they are really called but they are bigger than normal flies) Today I was outside with Chloe and I saw one on her and it bit her and there was a spot of blood....We have a lot of cows around and their grazing field in right beside our backyard and I dont know if these flies will hurt Chloe by biting her hard enough to draw blood ...It was a very tiny spot but it was still a spot of blood...

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Ugh, horseflies are the bane of my existance!

There are some fly-repllents on the market, look at your local tack or feed stores.They are made for horses, which don't really lick themselves, so I'd check to see if it's toxic for ingestion or not. But they should work. Otherwise just carry around a fly swatter!

Poor little Chloe....horse fly bites hurt really bad!!! When I had my horse I got bit many, many times by them. I'm not sure what you could use that would be safe for dogs. Maybe call your vet.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Thanks....we dont have "horses" around but I know its because it is grazing time for the dairy cows...because this week was the first week they have been out and I havent seen any horse flies till today :(

jess2416

Who woulda thought
I know....I am going to either call the vet tomorrow or go buy the feed and tack store and see what they have.....

Well, I found this stuff
Farnam Flys-Off Ointment
Special formula ointment for dogs, ponies and horses; protects wounds and sores from house flies, stable flies, face flies and horn flies. Also kills them on contact.
I just hope that someone in my area sells it....because they are bit her mostly on the head and ears and I feel sorry for her cause she cant reach those areas.....

Last edited:

bubbatd

I can't remember what we used on our horses...... a feed store should help but make sure it's safe for dogs.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
bubbatd said:
I can't remember what we used on our horses...... a feed store should help but make sure it's safe for dogs.
I definitely will :D

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I was told by our vet that horse stuff is a no-no. Not just the dog will injest it but because it's made for a larger animal and is too strong for a dog.

Oh, they said use normal people stuff and be carefull of the eyes

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Well, if I can find it I will probally get this
Farnam Flys-Off Ointment
Special formula ointment fordogs, ponies and horses; protects wounds and sores from house flies, stable flies, face flies and horn flies. Also kills them on contact.
and ask my vet what he thinks of it,

Snark

Mutts to you
I use Flys Off spray (it's for dogs) on Holly - for some reason, she's the only one who had flies go after her ears - she can be fine in the morning and by afternoon she's got a bloody spot on her ear (probably because she insists on sleeping under trees instead of in the house like everyone else). I've also used SWAT ointment on her ears if I find a sore - it keeps flies off and heals the sore.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Snark said:
I use Flys Off spray (it's for dogs) on Holly - for some reason, she's the only one who had flies go after her ears - she can be fine in the morning and by afternoon she's got a bloody spot on her ear (probably because she insists on sleeping under trees instead of in the house like everyone else). I've also used SWAT ointment on her ears if I find a sore - it keeps flies off and heals the sore.
Where can you find that at ???

Members online