Need help/advice

Barb04

Super Moderator
Lady our 9 years old lab has ATL liver level of 220 (2 x's the normal).
Vet went ahead with teeth cleaning.
She went under anesthesia & sedative.

Vet called after hours that they forgot to give Bordatella Intranasal before she left for home.

The vet is closed tomorrow so wants me back in 2 days to give her the Bordatella.

He said there are no animals with kennel cough in their facility so WHY DO I NEED TO GIVE IT? He said I have to and won't refund my money. He said they were busy and forgot.

I don't like to give anything my dogs don't need and never give bordatella.

The vet said it would prevent her from getting kennel cough even though they don't have kennel cough there.

What would you do?

Thanks
Barb

momto8

I'd lose the money, we don't ever get it. Years ago Lilly and Gunner got the nasal bordetella at the vet (when we were stationed at ft carson) and out of all 5 of our dogs ( thats all we had at the time lol) they were the only 2 that got kennel cough, so never again for us!

Barb04

Super Moderator
I read somewhere that the vet wants to cover his #ss because he didn't give it.

I thought it takes a few days to take effect anyway. It's like giving the flu shot when you already have the flu.

Lady went for the teeth cleaning, nothing else and now the vet is arguing with me over this vaccine.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Yea I'd probably just not go back for it. Unless she needs it for boarding, it's really not a vaccine I'd give.

Why on earth does she "have" to have it now that she's already gone? If it's their fault they forgot to give it and I didn't want to give it, I wouldn't be going back and I'd be raising holy hell until I got a refund.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I would leave it and loose the money. No sense in going back. Unless you wanted to go back and raise some hell to get your money back. It was their fault they forgot. Remember isnt the customer always right?

crazedACD

You especially don't want to give vaccines to a dog that isn't 100% healthy. If her liver is having trouble, it won't be able to filter any toxins in the vaccine. I'm actually surprised they went ahead and put her under anesthesia..that doesn't seem quite right to me.

elegy

overdogged
Yeah, I wouldn't go back for it either. You are correct- it takes several days to take effect. Even if they had remembered to give it, it wasn't doing anything for your dog while she was there anyway. Unless you need it for boarding, I'd just let the money go.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Why on earth does she "have" to have it now that she's already gone? If it's their fault they forgot to give it and I didn't want to give it, I wouldn't be going back and I'd be raising holy hell until I got a refund.
THIS. And I'd be letting them know unless they change their tune I'd be finding another vet.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Thanks everyone. We will be researching to find another vet. I am totally disgusted. They won't give money back because we are obligated to bring her back in to get the bordatella - NO WAY!!!!!!!!! I might live in the south, but I'm still a NYer at heart and can speak up!

Taqroy

Thanks everyone. We will be researching to find another vet. I am totally disgusted. They won't give money back because we are obligated to bring her back in to get the bordatella - NO WAY!!!!!!!!! I might live in the south, but I'm still a NYer at heart and can speak up!
In what way are you obligated to bring her back? That makes NO sense. I don't give bordatella and I'd be ticked if the vet gave orders to give my dog a vaccine without my explicit approval - and then tried to charge me for it.

Barb04

Super Moderator
The vet kept saying that I have to bring her back because they charged me for it, won't give me a refund, and she was supposed to get it before they released her! It doesn't make any sense to me either why I "have" to do it because "I am NOT going to do it". This vet has really gotten to me at this point.......looks for new vet.....

I'm astonished that they're being so stubborn about this. What does it gain them to not refund your money? What crappy service and a crappy way to treat a client.

Taqroy

The vet kept saying that I have to bring her back because they charged me for it, won't give me a refund, and she was supposed to get it before they released her! It doesn't make any sense to me either why I "have" to do it because "I am NOT going to do it". This vet has really gotten to me at this point.......looks for new vet.....
Yeah a new vet is probably best! What a jerk.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I'd be asking to speak with the office manager and/or practice owner about a refund. When you talk to them, explain 1. you don't want the vax because it's not protective retroactively, she is not healthy and they are designed to be given only to healthy animals, and you don't need it for anything else and 2. you'll be finding a new vet because of the way you were treated. They need to know *why* you are leaving the practice - maybe it'll spur some change down the line.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
2. you'll be finding a new vet because of the way you were treated. They need to know *why* you are leaving the practice - maybe it'll spur some change down the line.
This exactly. Even if the vet IS the practice owner, I would make it clear to him that you're now finding a new vet over this and they can look forward to sending your vet records elsewhere soon.

Kilter

I don't do much for vaccines and certainly not kennel cough. The worst cases of kennel cough I've had to deal with were the dogs that had the vaccines for it. Since not doing kennel cough it's been pretty easy, Storee was the last one to go through it and she coughed about five times in one day, three the next and that was it. We go to shows, training and the boarding kennel were I work without issues or coughing. The kennel doesn't even require kennel cough on the boarding dogs and has never had an outbreak.

Members online

No members online now.