Which would you switch to?

gale

DH is insisting that we switch from California Natural because it is so hard to find here (if our local guy can't get it, like he could not last week, we have to drive an hour to buy it) and [mostly] because of the high price. We can get Diamond Naturals locally but the store only carries the Extreme Athlete variety with 32% protein and the Lamb and Rice formula. Everything we've been feeding so far has been chicken and rice. Has anyone had problems switching their dog from chicken to lamb? That is the only decent dog food we can get locally (the Diamond Naturals). Everything else has to be special ordered and we've had problems getting it in time even when I've ordered it weeks in advance (this is from 2 sources-our local ag guy and a small pet store).

If it matters our dog is about 15 mos old and is a lab/aus. shepherd mix and is right around 50 lbs.

btw I can get Pro Pac Holisitic locally and it is the same # of stars as the Diamond Natural but it is a LOT more expensive.

eta links:
http://www.diamondpet.com/products/diamond_naturals/dogs/dry_food/extreme_athlete/

http://www.diamondpet.com/products/...ry_food/lamb_meal_and_rice_adult_dog_formula/

http://www.propacpetfood.com/dogs/index.tpl?SKU=20030327154406

Romy

Taxiderpy
Do you have a costco in your area? The kirkland food is milled by diamond and is the same formulas as the Diamond Naturals line of food. Last time I bought a bag it was $27 for 40 lbs. They have a chicken and rice, and a lamb and rice.

gale

No-the closest Costco is about 2 hours away. From what I understand the Diamond Naturals is about the same? the only concern I have is the number of Diamond recalls in recent years. I was looking at dogforum.com and pretty much everyone there hates Diamond foods.

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
i had my dogs on chicken soup for the dog lover's soul throughout the dog food recalls. Awesome food. From what I understand, diamond now checks their product a lot more vigorously than a lot of other places. Naturals doesn't have any of the ingredient that was the cause of the recalls. I fed Diamond Naturals whenever I couldn't afford the chicken soup.

You should be okay switching over to L&R, just switch over a period of a coupla weeks. I have two sensitive dogs so I have to do everything very gradually, myself.

gale

Thank you Suzzie. I did use chicken soup when our dog was a baby but it is so hard to find. At the time I had to have the pet store special order it and one time, they didn't get it in time and we had to drive an hour to buy it. I had given them about 3 weeks notice too. I may call them and see what they have in stock now-they might have changed their stock. They do carry the chicken soup cat food which I feed our cat.

Members online