Under dosing?

Amstaffer

I was talking to a vet tech I know who has APBTs. Because her dogs are slightly over the dosing cut-off for Advantix (her dogs like mine are between 60 and 70lbs) 21-55lbs and way at the bottom of the next step up which is 55.1 and up...., she under doses them and gives them the 21-55lbs dose. She says that it is safer and still gives them good protection.

What is your opinion on under dosing? Is the protection still good? Is it safer?

DanL

If your dog was 60lbs I think you'd be ok. But 70? That's pushing it. I guess it depends on how much is actually in each dose and if you notice any fleas or ticks with the lesser dose. Maybe it works as well but for a shorter period? We do the one that repels mosquitos, and I can tell they need another dose when they start landing on them again vs hovering over.

Amstaffer

I am just wondering about a dose that would work on a 150 Bullmastiff is the same dose that my 70lb Sal would use? I guess I could just try it and keep a close eye on how it goes.

I was just wondering how much safer chemically under dosing would be? or if I am just being a worry wart.

DanL

They might give a different dose for a giant dog- I know that Daisy gets 2 heartworm pills, one for large dogs and one for small to add up to enough for her weight, that's per the vet directions. They might do the same for a real giant dog like a mastiff. (Daisy does get a single dose of flea/tick stuff, the same size Gunnar gets.)

Members online

No members online now.