Unequal pupil size?

Romy

Taxiderpy
Do dogs get this as a symptom of concussion?

Earlier today we noticed that Charlies pupils were vastly different sizes. The right was very dilated, and the left like a pinpoint.

It's back to normal now. I put a blanket over his crate and they were both huge, then shined a light in his eyes and they both got small.

What could it be? The websites we looked it up on all said it could be from neurological problems, or cancer, or pressure inside the eye, etc. but none mentioned head injury.

Now, the way Charlie plays is very rough. Basically he rams into things at top speed. Once he broke our gate by ramming into it. I'm wondering if he might have rammed a fencepost, or the corner of the garage, or a tree, or the ground, etc. and gave himself a concussion. Especially since it's gone for now.

If it comes back, we will definitely take him to a vet. I might just take him in to be cerf'd anyway, since it's only $25 or so. Do they test eye pressure at all in the cerf test?

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
It's called 'anisocoria' so if you didn't know that, you can try searching it for a more specific answer.

It can be caused by a lot of things: head trauma, nerve damage, glaucoma (water pressure in the eyes), cancer in the eye (lumps putting additional pressure on the eye), problems with the...cerebellum I think (since that's where the optic nerves feed into), etc.

My guess is the head trauma, especially since it went back to normal. Also since both eyes reacted to the light stimulus I'd say there's no nerve damage. Glaucoma is a possibility but I don't think that'd readily go down though. I don't know that much about glaucoma though other than what causes it (blocked Schlemm's canals).

Romy

Taxiderpy
Thanks guys. I checked his pupils again today. They both reacted to light again, but the right one isn't shrinking down to the extent the left one is when I shine a light it in. He can follow my fingers with his eyes all right. The soft tissue around the right eye also looks irritated/red.

So today I started using the eye ointment we got for Strider's eye on Charlie too, in case his cornea got scratched or something. It's the neo-poly-bac-hyrdo, and seems to be helping the soft tissue a lot.

We're scheduling a CERF for later this week as well. Just to make sure nothing else is going on. Plus, it won't hurt for him to be CERF'd. Fortunately, we've got a canine ophthalmology clinic in town and the lady vet the runs it is supposedly among the foremost in the country (whoooo, fancy!).

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
Thanks guys. I checked his pupils again today. They both reacted to light again, but the right one isn't shrinking down to the extent the left one is when I shine a light it in.
That's not a big issue. Pretty sure it's actually normal.

Romy

Taxiderpy
That's not a big issue. Pretty sure it's actually normal.
Thanks GO, your comments helped my husband not explode from anxiety, lol. He still insisted Charlie get checked out, so I took him in today. He's fine. The soft tissue around his eye is a little irritated and she gave us ointment for it.

Members online

No members online now.