Quick food question

ell you may not understand but with my pups they get the best
I highly doubt your outside dogs that are being fed crap get the best.

Why would you need to buy shampoo and conditioner monthly? Dogs should not be getting bathed more than once a month for their skins sake. My shampoo for 12 dogs lasts be 6-12 months, and I bathe them every 1-2 months.

Brushes..I barely go through those. I have 1 longhaired dog..you don't even have longhaired dogs, why would you replace brushes monthly?

And please tell me how you spend 100$ MONTHLY for red eared sliders? The cost to get all the supplies in the beginning is high, but food for them is NOT expensive..there is no way you spend that every month. I spend about 100$ dollars on ALL my small animal (not counting dog and cat) supplies monthly, and I have a LOT of small animals.

THE VET and every proffessional i have met ( including pro's), have said that they love pedigree and trust others.. PERIOD!!!
Vets are NOT dog nutritionists. Most vets advertise Science diet..which anyone who knows dog nutrition, know is a HORRIBLE food.

I have 15 goldfish.,..there food monthly does NOT cost 20 dollars. Fish food costs about 6-8$, and fish do NOT go through an ENTIRE container of food in a month. Also, filter cartridges are changed once a month, and ONE filter cartridge is less than 4$.

Chemicals to treat the water LAST longer than ONE month. You are pulling these numbers out of no where.

lights that burn out:20
The appropriate bulbs your turtles should have do NOT burn out every month. If you leave it on for the appropriate amount of time and you have both the UVB bulbs and the heat bulbs, then these should be lasting for atleast 3 months.

My mom started out feeding science diet, and went to Beneful...When I got my first job (not that long ago sadly..) I started buying 11 of my dogs Kirkland Signature, and my picky chi Innova evo. Kirkland has done wonders for their coat and skin, and there was a big improvement over the crap food my mom was buying. And now she buys the cats Kirkland brand cat food. She noticed the difference, and has changed her views of dog food. When I first bought the kirkland, she kept saying "The dogs don't like it..I am going to buy beneful again"..but now after seeing improvement in our dog Brad, who had terrible food allergies..she completely understands why before I got a job, I begged her to buy better foods for them!

I highly doubt your outside dogs that are being fed crap get the best.

And please tell me how you spend 100$ MONTHLY for red eared sliders? The cost to get all the supplies in the beginning is high, but food for them is NOT expensive..there is no way you spend that every month. I spend about 100$ dollars on ALL my small animal (not counting dog and cat) supplies monthly, and I have a LOT of small animals.

I have 15 goldfish.,..there food monthly does NOT cost 20 dollars. Fish food costs about 6-8$, and fish do NOT go through an ENTIRE container of food in a month. Also, filter cartridges are changed once a month, and ONE filter cartridge is less than 4$.

Chemicals to treat the water LAST longer than ONE month. You are pulling these numbers out of no where.

The appropriate bulbs your turtles should have do NOT burn out every month. If you leave it on for the appropriate amount of time and you have both the UVB bulbs and the heat bulbs, then these should be lasting for atleast 3 months.

[/QUOTE

umm :popcorn: ok so for my RES filters, food and upkeep should only cost less than 100 per month?? here is the cost for the supplies based on PetCo...

Zoomed repti basking light= $16.00 ( lasts for up to 2,000 hours)
12 hours per day X 7 days X 30 days= 2,520 hours

Seachem Prime 1 8.45 ounces $8.00 treats 2,500 gals
water change weekly aprox 150 gals per change X 4 weeks= aprox 600 gals

white fine filter pads $8.00 for 3 pack X 3 filters
these get pretty dirty so they get changed at least once a week
1 pad per week X 3 filters=

zoomed reptile food 1lb = $6.00
4 turtles each get 2 teaspoons 3 times per day= ( not a math person) so i go thru 1 of these a month

treats 10-15 bucks

grand total per month = aprox 48-80 on the high end ( When not on sale)... apparently you do not buy everything your turtle needs.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
LOL! Someone needs to go back to 2nd grade math class :lol-sign:

There are not 30 weeks in a month, lol! So it would be:

12 hours per day x 30 days a month = 360 hours.

And why are you doing 150 gallon water changes a WEEK? That is EXTREMELY excessive.

Herschel

Hahah! That is exactly the post I was going to make. As soon as I saw that I was amazed that she is squeezing 210 days into every month!

As I said before, some people have financial problems because they never bothered to learn basic arithmetic.

There are not 30 weeks in a month, lol! So it would be:

12 hours per day x 30 days a month = 360 hours.

And why are you doing 150 gallon water changes a WEEK? That is EXTREMELY excessive.
ok so maybe my mind is not perfect and thinking staight, but the point is clear. i apologize for the mistake, the water changes are simple BECAUSE I HAVE 4 RES, and if you know anything about turtles they are very very messy. and needs to be done..

ya know something i think you just have something against me personally that you do not like and will not get over it. and you will not let it go. i am sorry for the mistakes i have made, but do you need to keep shoving them down my throat!!??!

Herschel

ok so for my RES filters, food and upkeep should only cost less than 100 per month?? here is the cost for the supplies based on PetCo...

Seachem Prime 1 8.45 ounces $8.00 treats 2,500 gals
water change weekly aprox 150 gals per change X 4 weeks= aprox 600 gals

white fine filter pads $8.00 for 3 pack X 3 filters
these get pretty dirty so they get changed at least once a week
1 pad per week X 3 filters=

zoomed reptile food 1lb = $6.00
4 turtles each get 2 teaspoons 3 times per day= ( not a math person) so i go thru 1 of these a month

treats 10-15 bucks

grand total per month = aprox 48-80 on the high end ( When not on sale)... apparently you do not buy everything your turtle needs.
Here is the correct math (this post is meant to help you):

Basking light, $16.00 for 2,000 hours
12 hours/day x 30 days/month = 360 hours/month.
That means, 1 bulb = 5 and 1/2 months max
Even if the bulb only lasts half of its maximum life, that is nearly 3 months.
Cost per month = ~$4

SeaChem Prime, $8.00 for 2,500 gallons
150 gallons/change x 4 changes/month = 600 gallons of treatment
That means 1 8.45oz bottle lasts over 4 months
Cost per month = $2

Filter pads (white, fine), $8.00 for 9 filters
1 filter pad/week, 4 weeks/month = 4 filters/month
That means that 9 filters will last you about 2 months
Cost per month = $4.50

Zoo Med Reptile Food (16oz), $6.00
Max of $6.00/month according to you.
Cost per month = $6

Treats: $10-15/month.

Minimum cost per month: $26.50
Maximum cost per month: $31.50

I was very generous in my calculations so the numbers would actually be slightly lower.

yoko

you are right you do not understand, as it stands, like it is any of your business, but, for the sake of proving a point here is where we stand... WE DO NOT HAVE LUXERIES!!

my hubby works full time and gos to school, i work 2 fulltime jobs and go to shcool partime, we have the following bills:
monthly breakdown, these are all BASIC requirments for us to live everyday! no extras!!!
mortgage: 980 ( 3 bedroom rambler)
gas : 100-120*
electric : 130-140 *
gas for car: 150-200( varies)
insurance: 300 ( per year)
furniture payment: 240 per month
cable/phone/internet: 110 ( for business purposes, less than 5% lesure)
family insurance: 250
pet insurance: 150 ( for both)

food bills:aprox..
human: 200 per week
pups: 150
turtles: 80
fish/frogs: 20-30

Pet care:aprox
pups: 100-200
turtles: 80-100
fish/frogs: 50-60

GRAND TOTAL: $3,000 GIVE OR TAKE SALES,DISCOUNTS AND SUCH,. do you see anything on here that is for fun like movies,trips,and the like???

so, do not tell me i can not afford the best for my pets, i give them i give them, like i said you may not understand, but, maybe you do not have to be rude and assume i can not afford them, we BOTH work our butts off to support our family, now, there are alot of things we get that we do not pay for but those are just the basics.. so tell me that i cn not afford them, look at what us humans get VS what our pets get and you tell me who sacrifices more them or us...

MIsc bills:

toys for pets: 100-300 per month based on needs.
i would like to break down for you my budget when i got yoshi *will admit it was a bad time in my life and i had no right getting a dog then*

these are all BASIC requirments for us to live everyday! no extras!!!
rent : 400 per month
gas for car : 20 per month *if i ran out of gas i walked the two miles to work*
electric : included with rent
gas : included with rent
insurance: 600 per 6 months *went without insurance for a while soo... yeah don't do that*
furniture payment: i believe when buying furniture/tvs/anything in paying it off then. i don't have the money i don't buy it. even if i NEED it i don't get it unless i have that money. that's how i got in debt.
cable/phone/internet: i didn't use my tv except for my p2s/i didn't have a phone/i didn't have internet i used the librarys. and that was for work and school
family insurance: i went without insurance
pet insurance: i went without *should have had but didn't*

food bills:aprox..
human: 10/week *i stretched. i will admit but i ate until i was full each day*
pups: 30/month
bird: 15/month

Pet care:aprox
pups: 300 every two months or so
bird: 100 every 6 months

toys or misc: nothing. if yoshi got a toy i made it or i streched like crazy to save up for it.

my monthly salary : $450. was i short a lot? yes. i sold my clothes i myself had maybe 3 or 4 outfits and one pair of shoes for whenever and work. i sold my books. i sold what few cds i had. i sold what few dvds i had. i sold games. i sold my nintendo ds. i sold my plates. i sold my hair *for a knife show*. i had no luxuries. i was the ripe old age of 18. and no, mommy and daddy weren't helping me.

well you may not understand but with my pups they get the best, you dont brush you dogs teeth ... and you dont go out and buy your pup toys, i do not know about you but my babies go throu toys like water, that keeps them from chewing on my things.
i do brush yoshi's teeth and i do understand about the toy thing. give yoshi a ball/kong/anything and it's destroyed in under 5 minutes.

water changes with Prime:7
food for 4 RES: 20
fruits veggies : 10
lights that burn out: honestly he didn't have lights lol
test kits:10-15
i have owned red ear sliders before and i guess i was a horrible owner lol i had drops for the water *a bottle lasted an ETERNITY* had food which i bought maybe every other month. i gave fruits/veggies from my own food sooo didn't every really go out of my way to buy for him. lights needed changed every 4 or 5 months. and i didn't test kit him o_O. also i live in ok. so i'd just set him out during the day with a shade 'tree' and he could be in the sun if he wanted or not *in a kiddie pool*

But, if I was forced to choose between getting her new toys and giving her the nutrition she needs for good health, I'd rather scrounge for tennis balls at the park and know that she has what she needs for her body to function to the best of its ability. I can find ways to amuse her and it's not going to harm her if she's bored once in a while, but I don't want to compromise her health by feeding her Froot Loops (essentially what Beneful is!)
just wanted to note.... high school tennis courts after practice :D you will find a TON of lost tennis balls

Saintgirl

I just wanted to add one little thing before the thread restarts bashing puppylover again that in a recent post in another thread she has said that she is educating herselfs on the importance of nutrition in dogs. Puppylover, although we may never see eye to eye on the importance of nutrition I'm glad that you decided to research it further and investigate whether our claims are valid or not.

ok, here is the breakdown of what i buy for my pups to equal aprox 200 per month:

pet care costs:
puppy shampoo and conditioner: $20 (WHY are you spending that much per month on dog shampoo? :eek:)

puppy brushes: 10 (Again, why are you buying brushes every month? Buy a decent one and it will last for years)

puppy toothbrushes: 20 (WTH? How does anyone spend 20 a month on toothbrushes? I buy raw marrow bones for both of my dogs and don't need to waste my money on toothbrushes and toothpaste....I spend about $8.00 a month on raw marrow bones and my dogs have perfect teeth)

puppy toys:50-60 (Order wholesale and save yourself lots of money. Also try yard sales, thrift shops, Big Lots...I have 200 pounds of dogs here and I make do with spending under $20 bucks tops a month on toys, unless I splurge and make a big order)

blankets/pillows:20 (Again, Big Lots, Yard sales and Thrift shops are your friend. I buy comforters and blankets for as cheap as a quarter at yard sales. You just have to look around.
I understand being on a budget, really I do....I will skimp on a lot of things such as toys, blankets, treats, etc, but when it comes to the staple of their survival - food is energy is life and I find that to be well worth the expense.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I understand being on a budget, really I do....I will skimp on a lot of things such as toys, blankets, treats, etc, but when it comes to the staple of their survival - food is energy is life and I find that to be well worth the expense.
I completely agree!

HEALTH, for life, is much more important than buying a stuffed animal that's going to get gutted and shredded in 4 days. I MIGHT buy my dogs 2 toys per month... maybe. It's better to have a few quality toys that you use often than 100 destructable, disposable toys. Yes, there are initial costs involved with buying two puppies within months of the other. You do have to start somewhere. But, a single bottle of dog shampoo should last for in excess of a year... if it's good quality and you bathe your dogs appropriately. 2 high quality brushes will last for life. A few high quality beds will last for years. Blankets ARE re-usable and washable. A few high quality toys don't cost much and will last for years.

I probably spent $100's more every year when I fed lower quality kibble... especially compared to feeding Raw, now. I bought practically 1 Greenie per day. I gave baths every week. I had to brush his teeth daily. I had to buy chewies and toys to satisfy his natural urge to chew. He shedded excessively. Etc!

mrose_s

BusterLove
a couple of days ago I was flipping through a catologue and TADA! A pet shop was advertising a special on Ennova Evo, I didn't even know they sold it here.
Anyway, mum won't buy it for all of them, she's gonna stick with the high quality end of the supermarket foods, Buster is being swiched over next week to evo.

Actually, one great thing i see about feeding good quality, the differnce in their poo.

Ours get mostly raw, a lot of chicken wings/legs/necks/frame etc also beef soup bones, lamb etc when its around. They also get a good mix of vegies and mince a couple of times a week and their biscuits. WHen eating this their poo doesn't smell that bad, its easy to pick up and doesn't leave our small yard smelling like a dog toilet after a couple of days, now last week we had a few days where we hadn't organised fresh meat, all we had were some low quality processed foods I'd bought without readin the label properly and when I reread it later worked out how gross it was.
Well our yard stank, not pleasent.
Not a big fan of processed food but a good quality biscuit makes it easier to make sure they are getting abalanced diet, they can't live of only meat.

Members online

No members online now.