Awkward swimming

Elly

I take Zoe to the lake across the road.She loves to just walk in the water and run in and out. I dont push her to go out farther.

She seems to be afraid of the deeper water. I had thrown a stick and it went a little bit farther but not too much. She didnt want to go and get it.

When I went out with her a little deeper she seemed really awkward like she wasnt exactly sure how to swim . It was really cute.

Do dogs have to learn to swim? I thought it was always an inborn instinct.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Some dogs just seem to know - others have no clue and sink like rocks lol

We had two Shelties that had NO CLUE how to swim, but our other little group was great little swimmers!

lol Our one male named Laddie sunk like a rock.. it was kind of funny actually!
We placed him in the water and he just slowly started to sink - didn't move a muscle and just watched us as he went under. We scooped him up quickly after that. We tried a few times, but he never really got the idea of "swimming".

My belgian on the other hand is a WONDERFUL swimmer. He really likes it when i'm in the water with him though, he'll "herd" me in the water - doing circles around me until i'm at the shore again lol!

Our newest Shelties haven't really experienced swimming yet. I put them in the water when they were puppies. Jada was fine with it as long as I was right there next to her holding her "saftey harness", but Crosbie.. omg.. he clawed the crap out of my sisters arms, chest and back trying to get OUT of the "disgusting" water hahaha!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Sometimes it takes them a while to get the hang of it. My Aussie basically had to be taught, and he was not the most graceful swimmer in the world at first either--lots of useless splashing. But now he's gotten used to it and will swim to his heart's content....or out to the middle of the lake to rescue Mommy from the evil waverunner. :rolleyes:

Roxy's CD

LOl. that's too cute elly!

I've never known of a dog that couldn't swim though... I assumed it was innate to at least try to save yourself if sinking under water! LOL

You could try holding under her belly and giving her a bit of support until she gets the hang of it. It's funny because Roxy will swim in the swimming pool, but she won't swim in the lake, I think she feels the curent and it makes her nervous.

bubbatd

I don't think poor Chip ever had a chance to swim before I got him. He never went deeper than his knees until last summer when EliN's Hunter showed him what a blast it was to swim. After that, he loved it !!!

when poppy first tryed she panicked (she went in after some birds) she splashed alot for the first few times after that she loved it and has learnt that she will not drown if she gose in.

R

RedyreRottweilers

I've never had one that did not have to learn. At first the paddle wildly with the front feet, slapping the water, and forget to kick the rear.

The tenser they are, (just like us) the more they sink.

If it's warm enough to get in where you are, take your puppy gently out into the deeper water with you, and support her while she learns to keep herself horizontal in the water.

A float coat can help in the beginning stages, and can be a great help for dogs who love to swim. Keeps them a float even after they are tired out.

:D

Elly

Thanks it was neat reading about other dogs and how they do in the water.:D

I take Zoe down to the water every day as it is summer here and the water is nice.

I guess she will get the hang of it eventually.Its not that important to me that she is a great swimmer. I thought it was funny though her being a lab. I just figured they would be born swimmers:)

I will try taking her out and supporting her in the deeper water to get her used to it.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Not all labs are natural born swimmers. They should naturally like the water but not all swim gracefully, especially thier first couple times.
They try paddling upwards instead of forward. Some never learn to swim and some learn in thier first few tries.
This is the main reason my puppies are swam in my bath tub when they are 4 weeks old.
Just keep her interested in the water. If you have a friend who has a dog who swims plan a swimming play date. Sometimes having another dog there to show your dog what fun it is, is all it will take.
My puppies at 4 weeks old swimmin in the bath tub...Had to share!:D

L

LabBreeder

OMG Mom that is SO cute!!! :)
How deep is the water? Is it where they could still stand or a little deeper so they have to swim?

Tira has always liked water; swimming, splasing, playing, laying, etc.
Gunner swam in a pond with his mom/dad/siblings before we got him but since then it's just been bath water cause there is no place around here to let a dog swim. :(

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
LabBreeder said:
OMG Mom that is SO cute!!! :)
How deep is the water? Is it where they could still stand or a little deeper so they have to swim?

Tira has always liked water; swimming, splasing, playing, laying, etc.
Gunner swam in a pond with his mom/dad/siblings before we got him but since then it's just been bath water cause there is no place around here to let a dog swim. :(
I fill it up enough that the end is deep enough to swim in without touching and one end is shallow enough for them to barely touch.
I love watching them swim and play. A few of them were already retrieving in the water. It was very cute! Good way to give them a head start on what they will face in thier life. This way nothing is a suprise or out of the norm

R

RedyreRottweilers

by gosh by golly, Momof7, I am going to take your advice with my next litter, and everyone will have swimming Rottie babies!

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
RedyreRottweilers said:
by gosh by golly, Momof7, I am going to take your advice with my next litter, and everyone will have swimming Rottie babies!

Thats great Red! I am really into puppy socialization.

Elly

Those pics are so adorable . :)

I had Zoe at the water again today. . It is almost like she is trying to practice today . She stepped out a little farther then went in a circle and back to where she can put her feet down.

I think she will be a good swimmer in time.Loves to pic up a stick tossed in the water and carry it all the way home:D

Zoom

Twin 2.0
She'll get it! I also found it was useful to toss treats (that will float) into the water at ever increasing intervals. They get so engrossed in getting the food they forget that they can't touch the bottom anymore.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
LOL MOm that picture is just TOO cute!!

Here is Jada and I's first time in the water at the cottage

This is how we introduced her into the water

Riot got introduced into the water by me throwing sticks in - hes stick obsessed. He'd go in and bring them back. Eventually they got deeper and deeper until he was swimming. First time he swam he got a huge round of applause and praise.. he loved it.

Riot bringing his stick back

Members online