How to shut up a bratty bored dog?

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
Apparently when I leave for work every day, Tori, the 8 mo old pup, screams and warbles all day. How can I shut her up? I tried a stuffed kong, shes not interested. I let her out all morning to play and she doesnt play a lot. Im getting a bike in like a month so i can roadwork her in the morning to tire her out, but thats not right now. I tried to tell the roommate to ignore her and she WILL shut up, but she doesnt seem to get that and I can only assume shes talking to Tori thru the door all day long or something.

Any ideas to shutting her obnoxious ass up?

milos_mommy

First of all...I'd be very wary of biking with a 9 month old dog, because of it's affects on bone/joint development.

Instead of telling your roommate to specifically "ignore the dog til she shuts up" can you word it like "I'm trying to work on Tori staying quiet and calm in her crate, so if you hear her barking or whining throughout the day, please don't speak to her through the door, especially if she cries because she hears you".

Does she spend any time crated while you're home/around?

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
Simple trotting and running on the flat is still bad for a puppy? its no more than she does, herself, doing zoomies around the yard?

and yes, when Im home shes not in the kennel at all, she gets as much "out" time as I can possibly give her. Shes not much into toys other than tennis balls, and oddly isnt into chewing on things like kongs or bones :/

milos_mommy

Simple trotting and running on the flat is still bad for a puppy? its no more than she does, herself, doing zoomies around the yard?
Yes, it's generally consider (and I believe proven) to be damaging to puppies that aren't fully grown. There is a HUGE difference between "free play" where they're running around, sporadically, starting and stopping whenever they want, and jogging or running straight with a person. It's not recommended to jog or bike with a puppy under 1 year, and even longer for larger breeds. Zoomies in the yard is way, way different on growing bones than trotting along a bike for a mile is.

I would start crating her for bits of time when you're around, in the room or around the apartment, and just try to work with her on being calm in her crate when you're around. If she learns crying won't get her out when people are there, she'll not likely cry when no one's home unless she has separation anxiety.

Yes, it is. And unless your yard is made of concrete and asphalt, it isn't the same at all (and even if it's not, it's still your responsibility to not allow a growing puppy to overdo it - particularly a mix that isn't all that structurally and biomechanically sound to begin with - the DOG doesn't know that humans have bred it to be that way).

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
We are/were having the same issue with Siri, who at 15 weeks is quite a bit younger than your dog, but I can tell you what worked for us.

We play music to drown out noise from the hallway. If you play noise then maybe she will not be able to hear your roommate moving around or talking to her?

Tiring her out mentally/physically before leaving. I try and do a lot of mental work as well as taking a walk right before I leave. When she comes in from the walk she literally goes right into her crate and I leave.

When I get home things get REALLY boring. We go out to potty and then more often than not she gets stuck in her xpen for another half hour. Hoping that my coming home gets boring enough that she cares less about my coming home and doesn't scream to try and get me there.

If she is making noise when I get home, I absolutely do not go in and reinforce it. I have stood outside my apartment door for 45 minutes waiting for her to calm down before. Once you reinforce it even once, it is going to be that much harder to break.

Try different setups. Siri started in a large crate with enough room for a bed, water bowl and puppy pads. Moved her to an xpen to see if having more room would calm her down. Now she stays in her little crate that she can stretch out laying down, but that is it. I also cover her completely and she gets a filled kong, a hoof with some peanut butter, and some kind of squeaky toy to keep her company.

I dont know if she is completely silent, but I do know that she doesn't bark for hours upon hours like she was.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
she CAN be kenneled when im sitting here, she doesnt fuss, i just dont do it because i want her to have as much time playing, sniffing, being a dog, as possible.

do you think those treat cubes that they roll around would work in a kennel? or is there not enough room?

ill try the music but i think nobody will be home today so it will be guesswork to see if it helped lol

Try filming her. If you have a video camera, great, but even a cheap digital camera with a hefty memory card in it should be able to get a good hour or so of video before it runs out of space or battery.

Watching her on film might give you a better idea of why she's doing the barking. You'll be able to tell if it's outside noises that set her off, if she's actually stressed and upset, or if she's just bored and yelling. That'll help point you in the right direction.

Crate games, basically anything that makes the crate a fun, happy, relaxing place, are excellent for this. The crate doesn't have to be a bad place, and you don't need to feel bad for putting her in there. Practicing crate exercises is mentally stimulating and can be just as fun and engaging as playing, sniffing, and 'being a dog'.

milos_mommy

The treat cube may or may not work depending on how big she/the kennel is. I've given them to dogs in crates before, but only in roomier crates.

How many different things have you tried stuffing the kong with? Peanut butter, spray cheese, wet cat food? It could be that she doesn't care much for whatever you're filling it with. Have you tried a bully stick or RMB (make sure she won't choke) in the crate?

I agree with something to create background noise, that's a really good suggestion.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Tire her out. 'Letting the dog out' doesn't really do much if you are not there to interact with her and tire her out. Flirt pole, training session, playing ball, walking, etc. I agree do not run her on pavement until she's fully grown. You can't really expect a dog to tire themselves out. Most won't.

Mia does much better in an ex-pen than in a crate. I keep the crate for classes and taking them in the car or to a trial. the pen is always heavily heavily rewarded. She gets food toys in there,chews, stuffed kongs, etc. End result is that Mia is always excited to go into her pen.

Sometimes with room mates you have to compromise. I had Summer with her SA and two room mates. I left earlier than them and instead of her barking it out and waking them up (they were not happy), I arranged to let her in my roomie's room to sleep on her bed.

Members online