Since I'm on such a hound kick lately, which are your favourites?

smeagle

Beagles will always be the perfect hound to me!

The perfect Goldilocks dogs - not too small, not too big, juuuust right :)

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Pops I thought it was illegal to hunt deer with dogs here in the us? I know I've seen deer hurt by a poor shot and then tracked with a dog (deer swam the Chattahoochee and got away in the end, but the dog tracked for a good two miles, I got to handle the dog, it was pretty awesome) but I thought actually running them with bay or catch dogs was illegal. I'd be very very interested in doing that if its not.

My favorite hound in the world is a black and tan coonhound named Cali. She is so awesome and full of win itits ridiculous. She's not like a hound at all, except for the bay, lol, she's like a border collie in a coonhound body. Sticks close to her owners, is very smart and responsive, incredibly willing to please and sweeter than sugar.

I love beagles, but God love them I could not have one. They're hilarious little dogs though.

I'm partial to Borzoi, greyhounds, whippets, have only met one iggy I liked though. No bloodhounds please. In fact, most scent hounds I'm not a fan of. I love their hound dog looks, but the independent streak is a bit much. I like clingy dogs lol.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Scenthounds:
Redbone Coonhounds, Posaic Hounds, Bluetick Coonhounds, Treeing Walker Coonhounds, Finnish Hounds, and 'houlas.

Sighthounds:
Pharaoh Hounds (probably my favorite), Beezers, Saluki, Azawkh (never met one, though), Borzoi, and Whippets.

Beagles are adorable but I've never met one I liked. I find that very sad.

Pops2

Charliedog
you can run dogs on deer in some part of nearly every confederate state. as i recollect in GA dogs can only be used on private land.

Pops2

check for boundary lines in VA they can only be run east of the blue ridge line. NC has a similar line. KY & TN its in the western parts only. in MS & AL its's the southern haf of the states.
Sonic's breeder in columbus caught deer w/ his dam, her siblings, & her forebearers.

smeagle

Beagles are adorable but I've never met one I liked. I find that very sad.
Oh that's sad :( I do think beags are quite an 'acquired' taste. My beag is VERY busy and is usually disinterested in most people when we are out and about so she doesn't appear very affectionate when people pat her which can put people off. The qualities I love about her are often qualities others dislike in a dog.

Lyzelle

I don't particularly like scent hounds. But I do like Catahoulas. Pretty much all sighthounds. Ridgebacks, the more I look into them.

Almost had a chance to get a Norwegien Elkhound pup this past weekend. 6 months, male, rehome case. Passed him up because 1) male and 2) $400 rehome fee. Kinda wish I could have at least met him, though.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Oh that's sad :( I do think beags are quite an 'acquired' taste. My beag is VERY busy and is usually disinterested in most people when we are out and about so she doesn't appear very affectionate when people pat her which can put people off. The qualities I love about her are often qualities others dislike in a dog.
Actually it's funny, what puts me off of the beagles I've met is that they are WAY TOO into me- ditching their owners to go jumping up on me, clawing my legs, howling for attention. It's very off-putting. When their owners allow them to be nuisance and I end up with ripped pants or scratched up legs, it's hard to enjoy them.
It sounds like I would much prefer your dog. ;) I'm not one of those people who feels like every dog should be happy to meet me.
Please know I'm not putting down your breed. I've just somehow met the ones with owner problems.

smeagle

Actually it's funny, what puts me off of the beagles I've met is that they are WAY TOO into me- ditching their owners to go jumping up on me, clawing my legs, howling for attention. It's very off-putting. When their owners allow them to be nuisance and I end up with ripped pants or scratched up legs, it's hard to enjoy them.
It sounds like I would much prefer your dog. ;) I'm not one of those people who feels like every dog should be happy to meet me.
Please know I'm not putting down your breed. I've just somehow met the ones with owner problems.
Oh not at all, beagles aren't for everyone. It's funny, I don't really know many that would act like that, especially when out and about... like my beagle most I know are more interested in scenting than pats from other people. She does like the sound of her own voice though LOL

Freehold

Well, I guess it's obvious ;) but Irish Wolfhounds top my list. But I have a beagle x dachshund who is awesome, and was chosen as we were looking for a doxie to be a family dog. I tried taking home an adoptable beagle from my work (at a vet clinic at the time) who was adorable, and I'd have loved to keep her, but she wasn't particularly house trained and I wasn't in a position to deal with that at the time. I also fell in love with a senior basset hound at the clinic, and would be interested in trying one as a foster some day. Might be a breed I'd get into, but not really sure. My current foster (well foster-fail as I just adopted him) dog is a Treeing Walker Hound, and is a fantastic boy. I fostered another Walker just before him who was also wonderful.

I guess I just like hounds in general :)

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Dachshunds of course ;) but I mostly prefer sight hounds. Whippets for example <3 99% sure that a whippet will be my next dog. I got my sister and a friend of mine hooked on them as well.

Poitevin
Porcelaine
Billy
Foxhound
Harrier
Beagle
IW
Borzoi
LH Whippet
Petit Griffon Basset Vendeen
Wirehair Standard Dackshund:
They are superb hunters and absolutly,fearless.
Both my parents have one and both got boared,by a wild Pigs.They were lucky but didn't learrn,from it.

Last edited:
I love borzois, irish wolfhounds and salukis, But I doubt Ill ever own one.

Not much of a scent hound person. and this is coming from a scent hound owner lol. I only ave the beagle because he needed some one. And I was there to help. Id never get rid of him. love him to death. Sweetest funniest dog ever

Members online

No members online now.