Nikon D60 VS D40! VOTE! and share your oppinions (and pictures :) )

d40 or d60

• Nikon D40

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Nikon D60

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
PRO?
CONS?

which do you think would be best for me?

im a beginner in ever sense of the word, right now i just have a lil sony point and shoot. Im looking for a great camera that will take high quality pictures of people, my dogs. and other stuff.... just for fun :)

I need a camera that acomplishes that with a really fast picture taking speed! lol nothing annoys me more than waiting for a camera to take a picture! ughh my dogs move fast, my friends are hyper, im hyper, i need a camera that can keep up with them and not test my patience

ive gotten very mixed opinnions, some say the extra price isnt worth it, some swear by the D60 and some say that for my needs.. the D40 would serve me well

thanks for your help :)

Toller_08

I have the D40, and have been told there isn't much of a difference between the two. When I was looking at cameras last March before I bought mine, I couldn't see any real big differences between the two either, so I went with the best deal at the time (which was the D40). I think they're both pretty similar, except for the fact that the D60 is a newer model.

The only problem I have with my camera is that it's kind of slow when taking indoor pictures (with [internal] flash or without). That probably also has a lot to do with the fact that my house doesn't have very good light, and I only have the two kit lenses still (which I've been told are both slower lenses)... and no speedlight yet. In good lighting though, it's excellent and there's nothing else about the camera that I don't like. :)

jess2416

Who woulda thought
I have the D40, and have been told there isn't much of a difference between the two. When I was looking at cameras last March before I bought mine, I couldn't see any real big differences between the two either, so I went with the best deal at the time (which was the D40). I think they're both pretty similar, except for the fact that the D60 is a newer model.

The only problem I have with my camera is that it's kind of slow when taking indoor pictures (with [internal] flash or without). That probably also has a lot to do with the fact that my house doesn't have very good light, and I only have the two kit lenses still (which I've been told are both slower lenses)... and no speedlight yet. In good lighting though, it's excellent and there's nothing else about the camera that I don't like. :)
Ditto to this...

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I'd go with the D40x. It's practically the same as the D60 for cheaper. :)

Chewbecca

feel the magic
I'd go with the D40x. It's practically the same as the D60 for cheaper. :)
When I was looking to buy a DSLR last May, the D40x was WAY more expensive than the D60 because the D60 is the replacement for the D40x.

I'd go with a D40 only because the extra megapixels aren't going to matter unless you are going to blow up pics to poster size, and the self cleaning sensor thing? yeah, not REAL important.

Also, the D40 goes higher in shutter speed, and the D40 functions better at higher ISOs (for whatever reason, I don't know, but it does.).

For those wanting to take faster indoor shots: Get an external flash. If you go with the SB600, you can set your shutter at any speed you'd like.
If you get an SB400, the highest your shutter will go is 1/250 (but that's usually fast enough for indoor shots).:D

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
amazon has the d40 and the d60 at practically the same price

the D40x is 543.00
and the D60 is 534.88

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Weird! Everywhere I was looking (not Amazon) had the D40x for less money which is why I went with that one!

S

Squishy22

I miss my D40. I thought my point and shoot cannon was a good camera before I got a D40. Now that I am back using the cannon again... its crap... garbage... slow. lol. I've never used any other DSLR cameras, but I my expectations with the D40 were exceeded so much that I dont care to look at any others considering its price as well. If only I could find the person who stole it!! Grrr.

CaliTerp07

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Fran, seriously check out adorama.com

They have really great deals and different kits/prices for extras you can get with the camera (lens, memory card, etc.).

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I've got the D50 (which was replaced by the D60) and I absolutely love it with a few exceptions. My ISO only has four settings, 200, 400, 800 and 1600. I need a few others in there but I think since I'm getting a speedlight, that problem will sort of resolve itself.

Anyway, all of these were taken with the D50: http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t96221/

xpaeanx

I've never used either, but if they're both about the same price with similar features, why not just go a the D60? It's supposed to be the "upgraded version" with about about 4 more megapixels.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I've never used either, but if they're both about the same price with similar features, why not just go a the D60? It's supposed to be the "upgraded version" with about about 4 more megapixels.
The D40X and the D60 have the same munber of pixels. :)

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
I love my D60--but I am a real newbie to SLR's, and full use of one. I think you should look at them at a store, feel them in your hand--then you will have a better idea of what feels comfortable to you.

I'd be prone to going with the d60 as it's a newer camera than the d40x (I'm guessing you meant the d40x and not the d40 which is a 6 mp camera).

Before committing to any camera first, try out a couple in the price range you're willing to spend. Layout and overall feel of the camera body go a long way towards using a camera effectively.

Cheers!

Toller_08

Not to take away from the thread, but...

For those wanting to take faster indoor shots: Get an external flash. If you go with the SB600, you can set your shutter at any speed you'd like.
If you get an SB400, the highest your shutter will go is 1/250 (but that's usually fast enough for indoor shots).:D
Which do you think is best for a D40? I want something that I can use in the house, but also in low-light indoor dog shows (where the dogs are generally far away). I've heard that the SB400 is more practical weight wise and for people just starting out, but that it's no good for portraits. Then I was told that the SB600 would be way too heavy on my camera and that I probably wouldn't be able to use it properly due to inexperience, therefore I'd be wasting my money. So now I don't know what to get! Any suggestions?

Members online

No members online now.