I sawa bald eagle today.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
The eagle was going in lazy circles right over the woods behind my home. I have seen one up by smithville lake, but that is the only one I have ever seen in a natural setting. Neccy and I were out for her stroll. I am just so dang happy, it was beautiful. We have red tailed hawks, and a variety of owls, and some of the smaller hawks, but no eagles that I know of so this was quite a thrill.
On my bucket list is a trip to Squaw Creek where I heard that the eagles migrate with the snow geese. I always wanted to see the snow geese come in, and see them fall to the water where they earn their name. Maybe one day. I would love to take that trip with Hyia.

Saeleofu

Eagles are so amazing. We see so many raptors in our yard - the last two months alone I have seen a snowy owl, bald eagle, golden eagle, and various smaller hawks. I caught and released a hawk the other day, actually - he made his way into the chicken run going after some starlings and couldn't find his way out.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I love beyond measure living next to the woods like this and being able to hear the owls at night. I know some people think they are a bad sign, but I see them nothing short of wonderful. WHen I grew up my Mother's house sat almost the same way this one does. Way up on a hill, with thick woods behind dropping down to a creek below. IT's nice because in the summertime the attic fan (my Father put one in that seemed as big as an airplane propeller) that brought in the cool air from the creek below, we never had air conditioning and I don't remember ever feeling too hot to sleep even tho in Missouir it can stay hot at night. Because the windows were always open you could hear the owls. WHen my daughter was born she and I shared that room and when she was 2, we would listen to them together. TO see an eagle was quite a treat. I hope he/she sticks around for awhile, probably won't, probably migrating but I can hope.

Yes,my mom has a pair that live on her bluff. SO beautiful. I actually saw one flying above my house last summer...assume the drought and low river levels caused it.

Growing up it was rare to see a Bald Eagle, but they have since taken off here. I'd say for at least the last decade and a half, bald eagles are a regular sight around the state. In Winter along the Mississippi River is a gold mine, you can see them by the hundreds on any given day. It really is a great turnaround they've had here. I imagine it will become more common place in other areas as well in the coming years.

It is awesome to see the flying high again.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
WE had a flock of seagulls this morning. They have been around once in awhile for about a hear now, odd of Missouri, hadn't seen any for the last 40 years but do now.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
last winter when Hyia was in the hospital and I was super stressed I drove down the the Platte river. There were snowflakes falling the size of quarters over the river and the seagulls were flying through them, it looked almost like they weren't moving. Victor and I sat in the car watching them and he thought it was the most exciting day he had had in a long time. They were so close he was drooling. It was beautiful, the white flakes, the white gulls, against the grey sky and river. I would have liked to paint it but I doubt I could have done it justice.

RTH . . . . :rofl1: You're just not right :p

There's a good population of Bald, and I think some Golden eagles over along the Dandridge and Newport areas of Douglas Lake here, and there was a nest at the farm.

I think the redtails are probably my favorites though. Bimmer had one who hunted with him out at the farm.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
ONce when VIctor was much younger I was driving down the road, windows down. Victor is in the front seat. I am coming up on an intersection when a squirrel runs right out in front and a red tailed Hawk just about came through the window where Victor who saw the whole thing before I did was ready to catch it. He made a snatch at the wing, the bird careened away and I didn't hit anyone. Talk about close. I don't know what would have happened if he had snatched the body or if the hawk would have made it all the way in the window or not. It was freaky. I could watch hawks play on the thermals forever. It was my favorite thing to do when I was little to sit in the field where the horse pasture was and try to see when they would flap their wings if ever. They have to be playing up there, just having fun, how could they not?

RTH . . . . :rofl1: You're just not right :p

There's a good population of Bald, and I think some Golden eagles over along the Dandridge and Newport areas of Douglas Lake here, and there was a nest at the farm.

I think the redtails are probably my favorites though. Bimmer had one who hunted with him out at the farm.
That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me :) Thanks

I saw a Golden once out west, but almost so long ago I can barely remember. Lots of immature baldies around that look similar, but smaller and don't have feathers all the way down their legs. From a distance I can't really tell. I just assume they are all immature bald eagles around here.

I like watching the Mongols hunting with the Goldens, very cool how they use them.

Airn

I saw this on my news feed today and thought I would just put it here instead of opening a new thread.

"Leu, the leucistic bald eagle has migrated to Beaver Lake to spend the winter yet again. For a fourth year in a row, Beaver Lake has been blessed with this magnificent bird. We don’t know a lot about this eagle, like whether it’s a male or female. It is estimated that Leu is somewhere between 5-8 years old. He/She is a mature eagle therefore is at least 5. What we do know is that he/she is absolutely gorgeous and we love the fact that Beaver Lake has become its wintering home. Leu is a very rare eagle; according to Cornell University Leu might be the only living bird of his/her kind. Leucism in birds is a fairly common occurrence but for it to be in a bald eagle and to this degree makes it that much more special. A couple tips for those who may come across Leu or any other bald eagles while out on the lake. Please keep your distance. Try to get your pictures while putting minimal pressure on the birds. All of us here at Beaver Lake are thrilled to have Leu back in town and we just had to share the news!! Thank you Patsi Henderson for providing such great pictures as always!!"

To see more pics of Leu "LIKE" our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/beaverlakeusace

Eagle by ChrisandErinn, on Flickr

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Breathtaking and WOW.Thank you so much for sharing. I can't wait to show Hyia. She has been watching and watching for our eagle but so far no reappearance for us. A neighbor saw it however. I would fall over with joy if I saw like the photo you posted.

Members online

No members online now.