How does the female feel?

How does the female feel after having her pups taken away from her after they are sold? Do they feel depressed, or don't they care? Someone said to me that they are relieved, but is this true, or do they get depressed? Also, if a female doesn't have her pups taken away, do the pups stay with the mother all their lives and never leave the pack?

:)

bubbatd

By the time my pups were 8 to 9 weeks old , my females were ready for them to start their new lives. Having been well weaned , they were mainly interested in each other and the human contact. As to your last ???, have no clue !

Athe

Different dogs react differently...My Newf for instance was taken away from her pups at about 3 1/2 weeks of age...the reason, the pups are getting teeth and the mother (at least with all the Newf's) no longer enjoy nursing....the breeder will not leave the mother alone with the pups as the pups could get stepped on etc. My Newf never missed her pups, not even when I brought her back to the breeders house to visit...she NEVER wanted to go down to the whelping room. The breeder takes the mother away early as Newf pups learn nothing from the mother except that they can rip and tear away...Newf's will just sit there and let the pups do whatever they want :) . The Newf pups turn out wonderful and are much more human orientated than dog orientated...that is just for Newf's though. There are many breeds that the mother does teach the pup a lot. ;)
I have also dealt with many mothers that you had to force to nurse the pups...I took care of a Corgi with a litter that you had to hold down, put a pup on eat nipple and supplement nursing on the bottle...I had to clean the pups myself. As soon as you let go of the mother she was gone quicker than a flash of light.

After Chloe had her pups, they went to their new homes gradually, so she wasn't to concerned. She would be a little concerned, but she was used to me taking them out of the room and handling them. She acted a bit lonely and sad for a few days, but for the most part did just fine.

Athe

Also, if a female doesn't have her pups taken away, do the pups stay with the mother all their lives and never leave the pack?
In studies of feral domestic dogs, yes, the pups usually do stay with the mother for awhile, at least until they have another litter. Dogs are more scavengers than hunters by nature so they do not require a pack to survive. Packing is above the genes and is used by some species to survive. For instance Coyotes do not normally pack, but, will if the hunting in the area requires a pack to survive. Wolves that normally do pack, sometimes do not pack depending on the prey objects in the area. For domestic dogs where they are scavengers and usually will just scavenge off human waste rather than hunt large prey will keep small "groups" not "packs" usually living a semi solitary life...why would they require a pack to eat waste :) The male does not stay with the mother, and does not help to raise the pups like a true pack does...the male dog just breeds and goes :D

Athe

Yes they are dead beats...haha I have a dead beat dad Newf at home....never pays pup support :mad: I am so ashamed of him. :( :)

after the last of tess's pups left (about 3 weeks ago) her personality totally changed. she wasnt the least bit depressed, actually it was the opposite, she was like a puppy again! running around, playing with her toys... and the cat! she is so happy and full of energy now.

Members online

No members online now.