childhood pets

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
so I was going through old photo's and found these of my childhood pets. These are pictures of pictures---so again, not the best quality. But they made me smile. And they are OLD pics--look at the haircut, and clothes!
First, this is my beagle (look at the size of him) Bulldozer--I think he is why I was so drawn to Wilson.

This is what we did to our poor critters when we were bored! This is Dutchess, and Nimbus

Beautiful Dutchess--English Setter

This picture reminds me of smkie's Victor

that's all--just thought I'd share my trip down memory lane!

Brattina88

Oh - that makes me want to go through old picture albums to find my childhood pets! Especially Buffy, "my" first Cocker. My parents had her when I was born, and that was the first dog I knew/grew up with. She's in many pics of me in my crib or swing, she was laying underneath it. :) She passed away before I was in the middle years of elementary school... but I vaguely remember her presence. My Mom was just saying the other day how Maddie looks like her now... :)

That last pic does look a lot like Victor! Wow!

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Here are mine :)

This was Timber my GSD mix

and this was Zero (not sure what she was mixed with (Aussie and something we think)

here is my first childhood dog. So a great girl, put up with a baby and never steped a foot wrong. her name was CJ, her old owners took her to the vets to be PTS. Luckily my family 's vet called them seeing as they put down their poodle a few weeks ago, and asked if they would take her, so glad they did. (got to love the crappy old blue nasty wall papper.
Here is CJ and I I was 20months old and he was 8. 1987

And I was just about 4 in this one, which would make her 10. (got to love the chair)

Next came Lassie.
Got her when I was 4.
we were have our family photos done professionaly. and offcourse Lassie had to get in the pictures too. My brother, Lassie and I. 1990. Lassie wasnt even a year old in this picture, probably around 8 months old. So still growing a coat

After Cj died, we got another poodle that year. When asked what I wanted to name her "CJ" is what I said, so she became CJ the second.
First day we got her. 1990 picture was taken by the lovley polaroid 600 displayed behind me. we were in the mall witht he puppy to buy some stuff for her, when a sales person spotted us and took our picture

And being is how my family is irresponsible with pets, CJ had 3 litters all by accident before being finally fixed. What came of the first litter was Sweetie, half poodle half chihuahuah (however you spell it lol) in 1992.

here is a group shot of all 3 of them They were all seniors by then. I thik this photo was taken in 2000 (give or take a year)

So thats it for childhood dogs. If I ever had a extra 30 hours in a day I could post all my other child hood pets. but with having over 20 pet rabbits, numerous small animals (hamsters, rats ect) frogs, iguanas, anoles, long tailed lizards, birds and turtles, it would take forever to post them all.

Gah, I will have to find my pictures! So for now, descriptions!

My first dog ever was a Toy Poodle named Joey. He wasn't too fond of us children, but hey he was here before us!! He was killed at 13 years old by a stray husky we had found. (This was about 10 years ago).

Then we got Hannah (standard dachshund) when I was 2, and that is when my mom got hooked. (She had them growing up, but like I say she said she wanted to try something else...but ended up going back to dachshunds lol).

I also had Syrian hamsters since I was about 5, and I will probably always have a Syrian hamster. I got my first rats at 14.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Here's Misty, my parents got her before I was born. She was born in their carport in Missouri, she was a singleton kitten.

We also had a black cat named Franco who my parents got when they bought a pool table - it was a package deal. I don't have a pic of him on here though.

And this is Coco, the Chessie I always talk about being aggressive. I don't have a pic scanned in of him young, he was 13 in this pic.

Toller_08

Sabi, our first Rottweiler. Dad found him in a newspaper ad when he was about a year old.

Sky, our Dalmatian. A friend's mother got her kids a Dal, didn't research the breed, and she was offered to us.

Jesse, our Dachshund. Given to us by a vacuum salesman. He came to our door, wanted my dad to buy a vacuum, and offered him his wife's "stupid, misbehaved dog". My dad felt bad for her, and bought her right then and there. She was neglected and abused, and lived in the basement all by herself. It took a really long time to gain her trust, but she turned out to be a fantastic dog.

A couple more..

Last edited:

Toller_08

Bianca, our second Rottweiler. Had health issues and minor conformation faults, so her breeder was rehoming her.

Echo, our third Rottweiler. Had to be PTS in 2005, at the age of 5yrs old for Megaesophagus and cancer.

I know I have a better picture of Jesse somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment. We also had Tuffy, a Bichon Frise, but I don't have any pictures of him on the computer.

Last edited:

Phoenixangelwyngs

Zookeeper Extraordinaire!
I grew up with Borders.... my parents had Boxers when I was really little; one growled at me and was rehomed and the other was put to sleep when her cancer made it hard for her to breathe. My mom had a black and tan tortie kitty when I was little.... then there were a string of other kitties.... Abby was our first BC... we lived in the country- she fell off the back of a pickup (broke a rib, punctured a lung and broke her jaw but recieved vet care and lived), got shot through the neck by a neighbor who didn't want her help with his sheep and lived, ripped her belly open clearing a barbed wire fence and lived.... she eventually died cause she got hit by a truck... her daughter was poisoned by another neighbor for barking.... and then we moved out of the town due to sadistic people. Then we had Lou and her pups (2 litters) and Dez- one of Abby's pups that came back to us because her owner couldn't keep her in the back yard and hadn't bothered to spay her so she had had several aborted pregnancies from random unknown dogs... I felt bad for her. Lots of Borders.... I'll see if I can scan and put pics up.

Kayota

I don't have any photos but my first pet ever was a black cat named Percy... all I remember of him was being out in front of the house trying to feed him grapes and french fries. o_O

Juicy

I've owned a pit bull mix? [not as dog savvy as I am now so its just a guess], a pom,,,,I don't know how to spell the names for these two, weird names my mom came up with.

The only one I have a pic of....

Munchy...cocker spaniel? Those are my little legs lol.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I like this thread.

Here's two of mine. Pete has never been see online, I don't hink. I finally found a pic where he doesn't look like a black blob. (We had bad cameras back then) I WILL dig up a picture of Rosie too.

Shack and Pete:

Rofl. Pete was a gundog and Shack thought he was a gundog.

Just Pete (and Dad):

And Just Shack. I adored Shack so much. I want a pure GSD someday.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Our old Golden Retriever, Tuffy, with my little sister. My parents got him from a neighbor long before I was born. He was HUGE!

We got Shushu when I was around 5. He was an older Bichon Frise puppy, who my Dad's friend gave to us out of nowhere... he was severely abused by her husband, but he was the sweetest little guy. I taught him literally every imaginable trick when I was a little kid, he could even climb ladders.

Then, my older sister adopted Penny, a Chi x Beagle mix, from the pound. She was a HUGE troublemaker.

Shushu, Penny & Cheeto cat. ; )

Members online

No members online now.