What Brand Of Dog Food Do You Feed?

• Thread starter savethebulliedbreeds
  • Start date

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
The only "brand" I use with Gonzo is Farmore raw. It's really good, I use it as a staple.

Fozzie also gets Farmore, and he still gets the occasional meal of California Natural kibble.

tara

I feed my dogs Performatrin Ultra. I think it's a really good food other than the fact that it has menadione in it, but I haven't had any problems with it! They have super shiny coats and after I switched our older dog over to it we noticed a BIG (healthy) difference in his "doggy business" lol.

we feed

Wrigley gets Eagle Pack regular adult in the blue bag--loves the stuff--coat is shiny and stools are normal and twice daily.

Fran27

MOODYGIRL said:
What is bad about Pedigree and this is my first time in this forum.
Ok excused then :D

It's a very bad quality food. Try to do a search on Pedigree in the forum, there are several threads about it.

Toaster

Right now I'm feeding my dog Purina Beneful kibble, mixed with a can something.

He stopped eating the NutroMax kibble completely.... but he does like the Nutromax canned.

.......After the above post, how is Purina Beneful?

pup-man

Permanent Troll
Beneful is in the same line with Pedigree. Ingredient wise, it's really bad compared to many other brands readily available.

Pedigree foods contain BHT which is a harmful preservative. And lots of corn which is not very digestible and is just a filler. I fed beneful before comming on dog forums and really looking at it. I even didn't believe it to a point because I had fed Pedigree products for years. They can live on it, but they don't thrive on it. I had always wondered why Kota broke out on her rump and after switching foods it went away. So Kota must have had an allergy to her food. Her coat improved, no break outs anymore, lots more playful, loves her food instead of just tolorating it..

I've saw a huge improvement in her. I said I'd try it for a month just so I could be sure the forums advice was all BS. Well, let me tell ya it's been 6 months.. and I'm not switching! A big foot in mouth for me!

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
I couldve sworn I already posted but I dont see my post so here it goes again:

I am currently feeding Beneful and yes I know its a yuck food but Lizzie is doing fine on it. Because I know its not a good food im switching to Exclusive, im probably going down to the shop tomorow to buy a bag.

Now I know Exclusive isnt as good as Natural Balance or Canidae but I live in Puerto Rico and thats whats available to me. Its either that or Royal Canin and RC is ridiculously over priced. I called a pet shop and they had their 15 pound bags for 34.99 and I am not paying that much for a 15 pound bag.

I have been feeding Royal Canin mini special 30 to my pup since he has not done well on other high-end foods (Wellness, Timberwolf Organics, solid gold, etc)...however, after I finish this bag, I am going to see how he does on Canidae (chicken and rice) mixed w/ the new EVO red meat.

He always gets EVO canned for breakfast (really likes the new EVO 95% venison!), and his dry food for dinner.

Herschel

I've flagged (in bold) all of the ingredients to avoid, with descriptions below.

Pedigree:

GROUND YELLOW CORN, MEAT AND BONE MEAL, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH BHA/BHT), WHEAT MILL RUN, NATURAL POULTRY FLAVOR, RICE, WHEAT FLOUR, SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, CARAMEL COLOR, VEGETABLE OIL (SOURCE OF LINOLEIC ACID), VITAMINS (CHOLINE CHLORIDE, dl-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN E], L-ASCORBYL-2-POLYPHOSPHATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN C*], VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], BIOTIN, d-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT [VITAMIN B2], VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT), MINERALS (ZINC SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE).

Toaster said:
.......After the above post, how is Purina Beneful? [/B]

Ground yellow corn
, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), rice flour, beef, soy flour, sugar, sorbitol, tricalcium phosphate, water, animal digest, salt, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, sorbic acid (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, dried peas, dried carrots, calcium carbonate, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), added color (Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 2), DL-Methionine, zinc sulfate, glyceryl monostearate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, manganese sulfate, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Meat by-products: Pet grade meat by-products consist of organs and parts either not desired, or condemned, for human consumption. This can include bones, blood, intestines, lungs, ligaments, heads, feet, and feathers.

Meat and bone meal: "Meat and bone meal" and "beef and bone meal" are inexpensive sources of animal protein. The protein in a meal containing a large amount of bone may be poorly digestible and fail to provide adequate nutrition.

Corn: Corn products are difficult for dogs to digest. (in other words, they are a filler)

Animal Fat:
Animal fat is a "generic" fat source that is most often made up of rendered animal fat, restaurant grease, or other oils too rancid or deemed inedible for humans. Look for a named fat source, such as poultry or chicken fat, that is naturally preserved. (Tallow is a low quality fat.

BHA: Banned from human use in many countries but still permitted in the US. Possible human carcinogen, apparently carcinogenic in animal experiments. The oxidative characteristics and/or metabolites of BHA and BHT may contribute to carcinogenicity or tumorigenicity.

BHT: Banned from human use in many countries but still permitted in the US. Possible human carcinogen, apparently carcinogenic in animal experiments. The oxidative characteristics and/or metabolites of BHA and BHT may contribute to carcinogenicity or tumorigenicity.

Vegetable Oil: The source vegetables for this oil (and therefore the nutrient properties or lack thereof) are unknown. Wouldn't you like to know just what exactly you are feeding your pet?

Sweeteners: Sweeteners such as corn syrup, sugar, and cane mallases are usually added to lower quality foods to increase their appeal. Dietary sugars can aggrevate health problems, including diabetes.

Menadione http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=menadione

For reference:

Ingredients in Canidae:
Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal, Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory root), Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Ingredients in Solid Gold:
Turkey | Salmon | Turkey Meal | Potatoes | Salmon Meal | Eggs | Olive Oil | Flaxseed Oil | Blueberries | Tomato Pumice | Broccoli | Carrots | L-Lysine | L-Carnitine | Dried Chicory Root | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Marigold Extract | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

Sources:
http://www.feedmypet.com/dog-food-comparison.html
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/
http://www.canidae.com
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com

Members online

No members online now.