Obedience Class

grayada1

I have enrolled in an Obedience class and went one week and then had to miss two weeks because of holidays. In that time i read culture class and really learned alot about dog learning and training.

The class is a "positive reinforcement" class and i say it like that because it does use treats and praise, but they also want you to use a choke or prong collar. there are alot of leash corrections that they instruct you to use.

When i came back to the class, there was a lady walking a young german shepard before the class started she was yanking on the leash hard non-stop and when the dog crossed in front of her she kicked it in the face! i couldnt believe it. Now i know alot of people use choke collars and prong collars (my mother is one of them) and i see that then can be used causing minimal pain to the dog, but some people dont mind that their dog is terrified of them and that is why it is "behaving"...

sorry just a rant!

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
but they also want you to use a choke or prong collar. there are alot of leash corrections that they instruct you to use.
That's not a positive reinforcement class. I would very much suggest finding a different class.

grayada1

I know i think its what Jean Donaldson describes a balanced training approach positive reinforcement and aversion. I am looking for a different class, and i have ditched the choke collar and went to the last class with my no pull harness. working on LLW with a flat collar just didnt want to mess up my progress because of the new enviornment we werent ready for!

Corgi is absolutely correct. See if you can get a refund and find another class to attend. Even if you can't get a refund, don't waste your time in this class any longer. Most classes will let you sit in and observe before signing up. That will give you an idea what the class is all about.

Members online