my dog wont stop barking

My dog is 12 years old. He has always barked a lot when we brought in the other dog and not him or something but we ignored it because it wouldn't be for very long. Now she is dead and he barks constantly unless we bring him inside or go outside and pay a ton of attention to him.
I can not bring him inside all teh time I go away to college and mom and dad can't either.
I have tried ignoring him when he barks and praising him when hes good. Even a shock collar but it doesn't work either he keeps on barking even right after it shocks him. I spent 10 hours with him once inside then put him outside just to go pee and within 2 minutes he was back at the door barking and didn't even go pee yet.
My mother says she is afraid someone might hurt him because of how loud he is being and we can't bring him inside so what do we do?
How do I make him stop barking?

Maxy24

Why can't he live inside?

What do you have out there for him to do? Outside can be VERY boring, some dogs won't play with toys by themselves so consider a treat filled toy that will keep him occupied. what exercise does he get? What kind of dog is he? If he is full of energy but is not getting enough exercise it could contribute to the large amount of barking.

he is a pomeranian. he cant live inside because it affects my moms lungs. we have toys and everything but he usually jsut lays around anyways even inside or outside

lizzybeth727

Dogs, especially companion dogs like poms, CRAVE to be near people or other dogs.... THey're very social, and poms in particular were bred to be nothing more than a companion and be around people all the time. Shock collars don't work because they don't address the root of the problem - he's lonely and bored and probably a bit scared.

I don't understand how you can bring him in the house for 10 hours, without that affecting your mom's lungs? Is there a way that you could keep him inside, and have him sleep in your bedroom or somewhere away from your mom, but then out in the rest of the house as long as your mom can handle it?

Otherwise, your other options are basically, get him another friend (although when he dies, you're back to your original problem with the new dog), or rehome him somewhere where he can live in the house like he needs.

noodlerubyallie

Sprayin' the spiders
You may not want to hear it, but he needs a new home. The barking is because he's lonely and bored and wants the attention. If he can't live inside with you, and you can't have someone exercise him quite a bit more than it sounds like he's getting now, then he needs a new home. The barking is going to continue and probably get worse.

I am gone to college most days of the week only back on some weekends. SO even if he could com inside it wouldn't help because I am not here only my parents nad mom can not take it.
Is there another way to make him stop while im gone? Our other pom never did this.

ALso I'd never give him a new home. 1 I have raised him I ownedh is parents even. 2 he hates others he growls at them and everything. Plus I love him too much to ever get rid of him.

lizzybeth727

Is there another way to make him stop while im gone?
You could have him go to doggy day care every day. Or to a friend's house during the week and then back home with you on the weekend.

Again, he's barking cause he's lonely. He will continue to bark until that emotional need is met, no matter what kind of training techniques you use.

bubbatd

Agree with all above . This is no life for a Pom . If you love him as much as you say , you would see to it that he has a better life . :(

Pam111

I agree with everyone else. It's a dog that was bred to be nothing but the best friend to its people and it's stuck outside all day with no interaction. Of course he's going to bark! I really don't know what to suggest if there isn't a way to give this dog the interaction it NEEDS...

noodlerubyallie

Sprayin' the spiders
This is going to sound really rude. But I don't think I'm alone in this opinion, especially on this forum.

Dogs are companion animals. I have no issues with dogs living outside when they get sufficient interaction/exercise every day to keep them healthy, mentally, emotionally and physically, and if the weather isn't too harsh for the breed.

From what you have said, the dog cannot live inside with his family because of your mother's health. That is perfectly fine, and not the first time a dog/family has been in that situation. However, you said that his barking is constant. There is something lacking in this dog's life to make him miserable enough to constantly bark. He is not getting enough exercise, mentally and physically. So to displace his stress, and relieve his boredom, he is constantly barking.

He needs an entire lifestyle change. It sounds like your family doesn't pay him enough attention to keep his stress levels down from living alone outside. He needs much more exercise than he is getting, and in his elderly years, he deserves it. He needs a family to interact with him, and provide for his mental, physical and emotional needs.

We all love our pets and want the best for them. At this point in his life, since you are at college and he has no one else to really care for him, he needs a new home, period.

Since he is a small breed, he stands a better chance of getting adopted. Give him a chance at an indoor life.

Do you live in an apartment at college that allows pets? If so, then take him with you. He deserves the companionship.

Maxy24

I would most certainly look into a doggy daycare or a family member/friend to take care of him while you are gone.

weve bred poms though. when we left the other poms alone by them selves even for just an hour they never barked like this.

noodlerubyallie

Sprayin' the spiders
Every dog has it's own personality.

Living outside with little to no human interaction or physical or mental exercise might have been ok with your other dogs, but apparently not for this one.

Everything that has been said so far is an option. I'm not entirely sure as to what you want us to tell you.

lizzybeth727

weve bred poms though. when we left the other poms alone by them selves even for just an hour they never barked like this.
Have you done anything differently with this one?

I'm just curious, really, don't take this the wrong way: Why have you had poms all this time if your mom can't handle them? Why not a lighter-shedding breed - chihuahua, chineese crested, poodle, etc? They have similar temperments but it would seem that they would work better for someone with allergies.

bubbatd

If your Mom has bred Poms , how did she manage taking care of the litters ? Surely they weren't whelped outside . Is this the 1st time the Pom's been alone outside ????

I also wonder how you possibly bred poms when you have to keep them outside for your mothers health? Did the puppies live outside?

This dog is OBVIOUSLY bored out of his mind! Sure, dogs bark (Especially certain breeds), but a dog that barks NON stop and lives outside with nothing to do....yeah, they will bark a LOT.

Try to imagine living by yourself. Outside. With nothing to do at all. Would you enjoy that life? I doubt it.

I also agree with rehoming him. Do whats best for HIM!! Who cares if you bred poms,and the others didn't do that. He IS doing it. He IS BORED. 12 is not extremely old for a pom. They have long lifespans (Though, a dog that has lived outside for so long with litter human interaction will have a shorter life span). And I think you could find a really good home for him, where he will get the attention he deserves..And where he can live inside. It is NOT right to force a Pomeranian to live outdoors.

Members online