Im thinking about....

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Didn't border collies branch off for more specialized work after the advent of sheepdog trials? That was my understanding.

USBCHA is going to be geared towards BCs and not a tending type of breed. That said the USBCHA trials I've gone to have had a fair amount of kelpies running them successfully too. But then again they work in a very similar manner from what I could tell- heavy eye.

Dekka

Just try me..
I am curious, what makes you (terrier owners) think that your terrier has herding instinct? I've never been around them, so I have no idea. But I know quite a few members have said they would like to try them out on stock.
Herding is truncated prey drive. Terriers tend to have loads of prey drive ;)

Kaiden will help move sheep, nothing formal. I used to look after a friends sheep farm (their retired and got out of sheep) a few times every year. Dekka is pretty decent too but gets carried away and wants to bite the sheep. Both dogs want to control the sheep vs just chase them. I think sheep are too big to just run up and eat lol.

I don't see the big deal. Its like telling people who own pugs, or other non typical agility breeds why bother? BC excel in agility too, yet loads of people want to do sports with their dogs. Its about enjoying the dog you have ALL the time, not just for sports. I mean why bother doing dock dogs with Dekka? She's not a water breed... and she is little so will never get the big titles.

I do all the things I do with her because WE enjoy them. Do I care if she will ever make it big in dock dogs? No. She loves to go SPLASH lol I love watching her have a great time. I would like to try herding with her, when lure coursing she does the same thing to the lure that the BC do (OMG why LC with BC!!??!! the insanity of it all) and tries to control it vs chase it.

Not all that long ago herding dogs were dogs who herded, not just select breeds. Not saying terriers would rock herding, but who says they can't do it?

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Not looking to ruffle any feathers, but ANY breed of dog can be trained to herd or drive sheep. What they lack in instinct can be covered by training and handler knowledge.

I agree that the stock's well-being should be taken into account, but can't imagine the stock owner and/or people holding the clinic would allow an aggressive dog to hurt or intimidate their stock. But some non-herding breed dogs have a pretty good driving instinct (even some terriers), so what's the harm in them having some fun? I know my AHTs would be too aggressive on stock, but my ex's Westie was very gentle and was a decent little drover dog. Definitely, the chase and bite dogs shouldn't be allowed, but I've seen some herding breeds (several Aussies and Collies at the last HIC I went to) that were waaaay too aggressive for the stock and what their breed's working style SHOULD be ....

Members online

No members online now.