My Littlest Chi get Infections from Rabies Vaccine.....

JoJoGal

Hi all. I have a 3 1/2 year old chi, and starting with his first rabies vaccine, the injection site gets infected. I notice it, about a month later, as a little fluid pack builds up, and gets bigger and bigger until the vet has to lance it, and then he puts him on double antibiotics.

I don't know what to do. My 2 smallest dogs (he's the smallest) go potty indoors on wee-wee pads, and don't go outside much at all. If I do take him out, he is in my hands at all times. At this point, I am very inclined to simply not give him the rabies vaccines at all. He gets it subcutaneous, and I realize there is one they can administer IM, however, he is so tiny, that an IM shot would really cause him pain for several days. (I fostered a little one like him a few years ago, and the IM vaccine caused him so much pain).

Also, here in Florida, the 3 year rabies vaccines is not recognized, nor used. At least here in Central Florida. Anyone have any ideas? I just hate to see him go through this year after year after year, as the infection usually is not gone for sometime; usually around 3-4 months.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
you would have to see your vet and see if they would be willing to write a note for your municipality that excuses him due to "allergy"

i have a note from my vet excusing ruby because the rabies vacination almost killed her due to a bad allergic reaction.
she says its likely going to be the same for jasper.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Hi all. I have a 3 1/2 year old chi, and starting with his first rabies vaccine, the injection site gets infected. I notice it, about a month later, as a little fluid pack builds up, and gets bigger and bigger until the vet has to lance it, and then he puts him on double antibiotics.

I don't know what to do. My 2 smallest dogs (he's the smallest) go potty indoors on wee-wee pads, and don't go outside much at all. If I do take him out, he is in my hands at all times. At this point, I am very inclined to simply not give him the rabies vaccines at all. He gets it subcutaneous, and I realize there is one they can administer IM, however, he is so tiny, that an IM shot would really cause him pain for several days. (I fostered a little one like him a few years ago, and the IM vaccine caused him so much pain).

Also, here in Florida, the 3 year rabies vaccines is not recognized, nor used. At least here in Central Florida. Anyone have any ideas? I just hate to see him go through this year after year after year, as the infection usually is not gone for sometime; usually around 3-4 months.
The 3 yr is accepted in quite a few areas in central Florida ... you might want to investigate that a little further!! Where I am (Pasco), they recognize the 3 yr vaccine, but you have to buy a license every year. :confused: When I was in Pinellas, they had a 3 yr license.

Edit - I just verified that Hillsborough and Polk also accept the 3 yr vaccine.

I had a dog who also had issues with rabies injection sites... you should talk to your vet about a note.

If your dogs are going potty indoors and spend little time loose outside, they are really at pretty low risk for rabies... but there is a risk and that is a personal decision you need to make.

JoJoGal

The 3 yr is accepted in quite a few areas in central Florida ... you might want to investigate that a little further!! Where I am (Pasco), they recognize the 3 yr vaccine, but you have to buy a license every year. :confused: When I was in Pinellas, they had a 3 yr license.

Edit - I just verified that Hillsborough and Polk also accept the 3 yr vaccine.

Hey there. Yes, in Pasco county they do recognize it as my friend gets that for her dog (my penny's puppy). However, as far as I know in Seminole County, they do not recognize the 3 year rabies, but may the 3 yr annual vaccines (minus the rabies)>

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Hey there. Yes, in Pasco county they do recognize it as my friend gets that for her dog (my penny's puppy). However, as far as I know in Seminole County, they do not recognize the 3 year rabies, but may the 3 yr annual vaccines (minus the rabies)>
I've heard about the tougher regs in Seminole. :( They only allow 2 pets per household as well in some areas I think.

I found this on their website, but it doesn't mention the frequency.

Section 20.51 RABIES VACCINATION REQUIRED

It shall be unlawful for the owner of any rabies-susceptible animal, for which a licensed vaccine is available, to fail to have said rabies-susceptible animal vaccinated against rabies by a licensed veterinarian of his choice.
I wonder if you contact them and explain the problem maybe you can get a waiver if you get a letter from the vet and agree to titer test annually??

If you would like to register a complaint or if you have any questions about these ordinances, please call 407-665-5110.

ponbc

I'd also talk to the vet about getting a waiver. And never give up hope! We're your neighbors in Lake County and just went to 3 year rabies not too long ago!

Members online