Need Raw help for Neon

StillandSilent

Poor boy is not having a good transition. I started him with chicken quarters on Thursday. He ate enthusiastically, no troubles there. He is on a probiotic, which I started Wednesday, and getting some proenzymes on his meat.
Friday, his poop got very loose, but only in the morning (early morning, all over my kitchen floor). By that evening, it was a little soft, but formed. Saturday, he was better, still a little soft.
Sunday was the same, but yesterday and today, we have had poop like water. He is still eating happily, playing like a maniac, and drinking well.
What else can I do to help him? Argon only had one day of loose poop when we switched, is that normal?
To make matters worse, when he is having normal BM's, he will go to the door to tell me he needs to go out, but when it's loose like this, he is running away and hiding to do it in a corner. I have never yelled at him or been angry, but I'm wondering if the previous owner might have gotten upset about mistakes. Suggestions for this also?

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Maybe start slower? With kenya, we didn't add ANYTHING at first for atleast a week

It was chicken quarters, twice a day, for a week to get her body used to it

then we started adding stuff..

maybe that will help?

StillandSilent

He isn't getting anything added, like organs or yogurt. Just the probiotic, which is a chewable he takes, and the proenzyme, which is a powder. Should I stop those?

BabyDane

I would try chicken with a bit more bone in it...like chicken backs. Not sure how big your dogs are from your sig pic, but even chicken wings have a bit more bone in them, but I would only give them if you have small dogs that wont choke on them. Unless your dog is a thorough chewer...one of our dogs is capable of swallowing chicken wings whole but spends her sweet time chewing them...

Whenever you notice your dog having loose stools on raw, adding more bone always firms them right up.

BUT since you are just starting up, its not uncommon at all for some dogs to have diarrhea like you are saying. Some consider this the "detox" stage...

DanL

you need to give it a couple more days. Some dogs adapt easier than others. But if after a week he's still not coming around, you might need to try some other food source- sometimes a dog will have a reaction to a certain type of meat.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Adding some canned pumpkin and/or green beans as half of the meal, and amping up the bone content a little, always works for me... those first few days can be a real pain! But the fully transitioned raw poops are awesome. :p

StillandSilent

Apparently I spoke to soon, because as soon as the message went out, the poops stopped doing so! He has had very nice stool the past few days, thank DOYC.
Argon is so jealous of what Neon is getting, even if he is getting the exact same thing, plus organs and whatever. Just like little boys, I swear! :rolleyes:

cricketsmygirl

Angels in waiting....
Glad to hear his stools are looking better, just thought I would add though that stools are sometimes softer with raw then with kibble. That it normal.

DanL

Glad to hear he's doing better! Sometimes it just takes a bit to get used to. If you just started him, I'd keep him on one food source for at least a week, and then gradually introduce new things one at a time, a week apart. This way you can watch for potential reactions to certain meats, etc.

Members online

No members online now.