More food?

Jazzie

Hi everyone,
Murphy is now 11 weeks old and has been with us for a week.When i picked him up the breeder said he was not eating brilliantly but not too worry too much just keep an eye on him.
I am feeding exactly as she ordered,a mixture of all in one foods soaked and 4x's a day.
The trouble is that he is polishing up every meal within seconds and asking for more.I rang her and said was it ok to increase the quantity and she agreed,my only worry is that i am giving him too much,he is definatly having more than the recomendations on the side of the packet,getting on for double.
Am i doing the right thing? Any help apreciated

Kerry

First, what kind of food is it? He may not be getting enough nutrition. And he's going to be a big dog, so he's going to be growing at an unreal rate for a few months now. It may also be time to back off of the liquid in his food. He needs to start learning to actually chew his food and not just swallow it, like he can do with the soft, wet food, so you might want to slow him down by giving it to him dry.

bogolove

Brady went through fazes when he was a pup. He may scarf it down for a few weeks and then a few weeks later he may just gradually eat it whenever he became hungry. Just keep an eye on it and know how much you are giving him. Now Brady just eats when he is hungry. I can put the food in his bowl, and that is the last thing on his mind. Playtime comes first in his book. Now my cat is a different story. she is ALWAYS hungry and I have to monitor her food so carefully because she is a big cat, and no matter how much I monitor it, it seems like she won't lose weight. So I would just keep an eye on him and his eating habits for a while. I think you will see that he slows down a bit in a while.

Jazzie

I have managed to gradually get him on to just one food now and that is the ProPlan puppy,this seems to be fine and he has not had an upset tummy.
I have lowered the amount of water i mix with it and he has some of it in its dried form that i add to his bowl as he is eating.(providing i can get there quick enough)The ProPlan is very expensive so i hope it is a good one,i want him to have the best as he had a slow start.

If this is Purina Pro Plan, please, please reconsider feeding it to your puppy. If you will look at the link http://www.fda.gov/CVM/efoi/dfchart.htm , you will see that Purina Pro Plan, along with most of the Purina foods and "grocery store" dog foods, tested positive for pentobarbital, the drug used to euthanize pets. Ask yourself how this drug ended up in dog food, and there's only one logical answer: use of cadavers of euthanized animals in the production of the food - now, do you really want your puppy consuming a death drug with every meal?

There are several threads here dealing with quality dog foods and nutrition. I really hope you will read them. Brady is adorable and you love him so much already, and being a Bearded Collie I know you must have made a substantial investment when you brought him home.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Pro Plan is not a good food, and IMO it is FAR more expensive than it's worth. For a few extra bucks you can get something REALLY good, and the pup will probably have to eat less of it because there are less fillers. :)

Jazzie

Thanks everyone,i am looking further into which one to get but it seems like a never ending list at the moment.
I dont mind how much i pay as long as Murphy is getting the best,that is my main concern.
Thanks again
Kerry

I did not see the two magic phrases in Chicken Soup's nutritional claims or ingredients: "organic" or "human grade." Without that, well, you just don't want to imagine where the ingredients might come from and what kinds of hormones and chemicals they've been treated with prior to slaughter.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Chicken soup is a good kibble, but I agree with Renee, it's not THE best.

I have tried almost every kibble on the market, from Science DIEt to chicken soup to Solid Gold and Canidae, and my favorite of them all was Innova, ingredients-wise.

Members online

No members online now.