No Bulldog or Pekenese will Compete at Crufts

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Are they not allowing any of each breed not make it to Group, or just the single dog? What I mean are they checking the "runners up"?
As far as I can tell, they only check out the BOB and if the BOB fails, they strip the BOB and no dog from that breed goes to group.
I would rather them take a look at the BOS and if THAT dog passes, give that dog BOB and put that one up in group... but I suppose you're getting into sticky stuff then.

Maybe dogs should all have to pass a qualified independent veterinary exam before they even get into the ring instead.

One show isn't going to change a few hundred years of ingrained culture, but it's a start.

I like how they're doing it. It forces judges to put up good dogs, or better at least. Not so freakish. If they don't, they just get dq'ed and there is no do over. Sure i'd love to test them all, but then you start to run into real logistical problems. Just testing the best in breed is fine with me, in time it will force judges to put up more correct dogs.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
As far as I can tell, they only check out the BOB and if the BOB fails, they strip the BOB and no dog from that breed goes to group.
I would rather them take a look at the BOS and if THAT dog passes, give that dog BOB and put that one up in group... but I suppose you're getting into sticky stuff then.
Just keep in mind this is a first iteration. Tweaking in the future would be expected. I'm just glad they are trying something.

By the way I do happen to agree that the BOS should get a shot to pass the exam if the BOB fails. And hopefully what they learn this year will allow them to do a better job next year in terms of scope, accountability, etc.

Man, folks are up in arms. Buck up and breed healthier dogs. I for one am against a lot of controls when it comes to breeding dogs, but you've got to have your head far under the sand to disregard the problems affecting purebred dogs these days.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
This just came across my Facebook - I can't tell you how much this disappoints me.

A note from Dennis Sprung (AKC President) regarding the outrageous actions of the KC at Crufts today:
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2012 5:26 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Fw: Any advice for Bulldog Club of America (BCA) and the other targeted breeds??

Pat, my response to staff is below and I am sending to you for PCs to know what is going on as emails and texts are flying (Unfortunately tonight BOB was also taken away from the Clumber Spaniel).

Sent: Friday, March 09, 2012 08:44 AM
To: Robin Stansell; Sheila Goffe; Margaret Poindexter; John Lyons
Cc: Gina DiNardo
Subject: Re: Any advice for Bulldog Club of America (BCA) and the other targeted breeds??

We should prepare a statement after all facts are in. However you can assure and share with everyone that AKC will NEVER allow any such practice to occur. Our Parent Clubs own their respective standard and we support them 100 percent. Furthermore a Judges' decision is final and we respect that as well. The situation is a very disappointing one here from the point of view of breeders, exhibitors and judges and fanciers from around the world. In summary while our PCs have a right to be upset and concerned I will never allow this wrongful practice in America. Never!!! Dennis

Sent: Friday, March 09, 2012 08:30 AM
To: Sheila Goffe; Margaret Poindexter; John Lyons; Dennis Sprung
Subject: Any advice for Bulldog Club of America (BCA) and the other targeted breeds??

The Bulldog & Peke were eliminated from advancing beyond BOB because of the mandatory vet inspection of these "targeted" breeds:
Basset Hound, Bloodhound, Bulldog, Chow Chow, Clumber Spaniel, Dogue De Bordeaux, German Shepherd Dog, Mastiff, Neapolitan Mastiff, Pekingese, Shar Pei, St Bernard, French Bulldog, Pug and Chinese Crested.
See: http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/4199/23/5/3

1. Do we have any advice concerning information for these parent clubs in the US regarding this practice?
2. Will AKC address this issue?

Respectfully,

Robin L. Stansell
Vice President
Event Operations

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
And then I see this on fb this evening - I didnt even know how to respond. o_O

Crufts this year had been un-freakin'-believable...everyone who's involved with the Kennel Club should quit, everyone who's at Crufts should refuse to show up tomorrow and Sunday...just go home. Nothing is worth the embarrassment that the KC is inflicting on these dog owners.

Dogs In Review
A witch hunt at Crufts?
By Allan Reznik, Editor-in-Chief, Dogs in Review

Day One at the venerable Crufts Dog Show ended on a profoundly sad, upsetting note, as the Pekingese and Bulldog, after being declared Best of Breed by knowledgeable, Kennel Club-approved judges, had their awards withheld by "independent" veterinarians. Thus, no Peke and no Bulldog in Group competition.

How was the absence of an English Bulldog explained away to an English television audience, I wonder? The Bulldog has represented the Brits since Winston Churchill's time and before.

This morning began with the news that a third Best of Breed winner, the Clumber Spaniel, had that award withheld.

The Kennel Club is determined to make the point -- in full view of the public -- that it takes soundness in purebred dogs very seriously. Perhaps these gestures are meant to appease the Animal Rights extremists. Ironically, the Kennel Club's actions will probably do no such thing. The AR militants will smugly conclude that they were right all along: purebred show dogs are damaged goods. The KC has finally seen the light.

What a shame that in such a public venue, The Kennel Club has chosen not to support the world-class breeders of Pekingese, Bulldogs and Clumber Spaniels who are committed to producing sound AND beautiful dogs. What an insult to the judges who after careful examination found their Best of Breed winners most worthy. What an insult to the dedicated breeder-exhibitors who brought their best, at considerable personal expense, to an event they considered a showcase for the great dogs of the world.

There are more breeds to be judged at Crufts that appear on The Kennel Club's dreaded "List." Let's see how the Bassets and Bloodhounds fare; the Neapolitan Mastiffs and the Dogues de Bordeaux. Perhaps there will be no more examples made of dogs that are designated Best of Breed by expert judges only to be disqualified by a veterinarian. But the damage has been done. Breeds have been demonized, and world-class breeders and exhibitors have been humiliated.

An old expression comes to mind: "With friends like this, who needs enemies?"​

I'd say the breeders/exhibitors brought the embarrassment on themselves by showing dogs that don't meet the health requirements...

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I really don't get how people complain that the 'fancy' needs to police itself and then they bitch when the KC tries to do something that would head in the right direction.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
I really don't get how people complain that the 'fancy' needs to police itself and then they bitch when the KC tries to do something that would head in the right direction.
Different people.

The degree of self-delusion in some of these breeders is amazing. One of them was ranting about how the Pekingnese hasn't changed in thousands of years, how they saved the breed from extinction during the Revolution, how dare anyone . . . . (I'd post the article, but I don't remember where I saw it)

Excuse me, ma'am, but:

Modern Pekingese:

The Pekingese that existed for hundreds of years and were smuggled out of China, preserving their bloodlines from being wiped out in civil chaos:

1850's

From 1896, stuffted after this death

From 1900

1904:

I hate to break it to you, lady who is so upset that the Pekingese flunked her health test (I think the person who said it might have been the DQ'd dog's breeder, don't remember). Anyway, I hate to break it to you, but you did not SAVE this breed. Despite preserving the basic bloodlines, you cheerfully proceed to DESTROY this breed.

Mike, after reading the woman's claims and looking at these pictures, described the reasoning of the breeders as "Smoking their own Kool-Aid" which I think pretty much grabs the level of surreal denial involved.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears

Members online