The problem with anti-chaining legislation

Why spend more time/money in more legislation that won't be enforced before we enforce what's already law?
Why? Because it's a cause legislators can make noise about, tie it to words like "dog fighters" and "abuse" and most voters are so ill informed that they rush out and vote for the crank yet again. After all, he/she is taking care of the poor little doggies.

It's cheap votes.

And I have to wonder how much HSUS donates to some political campaigns . . .

ACooper

Why? Because it's a cause legislators can make noise about, tie it to words like "dog fighters" and "abuse" and most voters are so ill informed that they rush out and vote for the crank yet again. After all, he/she is taking care of the poor little doggies.

It's cheap votes.

And I have to wonder how much HSUS donates to some political campaigns . . .
Oh I understand fully why legislators want to do it, I just don't understand why VOTERS keep getting sucked into the whole thing..............sort of like the abortion thing. It's just one more way to say "look over there" and get to people's emotions. :rolleyes:

Voters need to stand together and say no more wasted ink and paper making new laws until we see the OLD laws being enforced. PERIOD. No excuses about not enough officers, because to THAT we need to say FINE........you can take a hike and for the amount we pay YOU we can hire SEVERAL new officers ;)

Dogs6

Plus One
I have a large unfenced back backyard with just a small bit fenced at the back door for the dogs. When I am out the front I like to take the dogs to bask in the sun but it is not fenced and it would be unsafe and irresponsible to let the dogs roam free.

Leashing and teathering

I live in Alaska in the middle of musherville, and home of the Iditarod. Most sled dogs are not trained to "come" "heel" "sit". There are intricate details of proper sled dog yard operations as outlined by "Mush with Pride"
I wrote an article after analyzing our local control and restraint laws. Here in Mat-Su Borough in Alaska, is a link to it. http://tinyurl.com/AkDNleashlaws I think we are a bit more lenient. I agree with an “able bodied person†after a 70 lb 10 year old was dragged to us by her 80 lb Golden in the park yesterday. Fortunately, I had a head halter on Daisy.

Linda

Lolas Dad

Pennsylvania's anti tethering law when and if it passes will make it illegal for anyone to chain or tether a dog between the hours of 10pm-6am.

There are a lot of dogs that are living on a tether or chained up 24/7. I think that is wrong to chain a dog up 24/7. These dogs get no human interaction at all and the only time they do is when they are being fed and that is IF they are being fed.

Dogs Deserve Better State Bills Pennsylvania's Wall of Shame: No Chained Dogs!

Chaining or tethering it does not matter. Both is better, then crating, because the dog can move more and see more around. What matters is how much active or quiet time do you spend with your dog, when it is free of restrains. This is what makes your dog really happy. My dogs prefer being chained or tethered, then being penned away from the house and out of my presence. Tethering with a cable is not good for every dog, some of them try to chew on deceptive plastic coating and damage their teeth. Chain is all metal and the dog does not chew on it. If my dog is chained for a few hours and runs free every day for a few hours, it is not a problem at all; it accepts it easily. I know many dog owners, whose dogs are barking many long hours in a crummy crate, when their owners are working. This is a cruel and unusual punishment. All this fuss about chaining does not make sense and serves only animal rightist sympathizers.
I do not agree here...I think crating is very safe and great for dogs who are indoors. I would rather mine be inside where they live and be crated when I am not home than stuck outside on a tether or chain. My dogs love their crates and get plenty of time outside to run around.

I know many dogs who are stuck outside all day while their owners are at work and they spend the day barking their heads off...more annoying when its outside than inside IMO

I think the real bottom line is ~ we need to stop ALL invasive laws and emphasize teaching responsible dog ownership (or responsible anything else). More laws is NOT what this nation needs ~ at least not this kind. More loss of freedoms.
From the Rewritten Princess
This is the thing! I think some peoples issues with tethering and chaining (for example mine) is when an irresponsible owner does it and a dog strangles himself to death because it wound itself around a nearby tree and freaks out to where it strangles to death, or the random dog that breaks the chain/tether or even pulls it out of the ground and then inflicts damage on someone or something or is just out roaming the streets. Not every dog can be chained or tethered and kept in its own yard. Every case is different and I think its happened enough to where some places (probably ones with more frequent chain/tethering than others) want to pass a law to hopefully keep it from happening.

Miakoda

Pawz, that is your opinion and I respect it.

But don't allow your opinion to cloud over the fact that more dogs are happy, healthy family members while also being chained/tethered than those that are abused.

Just because you believe dogs want to be inside in a crate all day doesn't mean you can actually read their minds thus have the authority to speak for them. My dogs don't want to waste their time stuck in crates in a dark room watching Animal Planet. Don't believe me? Just ask them...I guess.

But don't allow your opinion to cloud over the fact that more dogs are happy, healthy family members while also being chained/tethered than those that are abused.

Just because you believe dogs want to be inside in a crate all day doesn't mean you can actually read their minds thus have the authority to speak for them. My dogs don't want to waste their time stuck in crates in a dark room watching Animal Planet. Don't believe me? Just ask them...I guess.
:rolleyes: Never said I asked my dogs, I also never said they couldn't be happy outdoors, I was simply stating that I feel my dogs are better off inside and in a crate than outside chained up because they are indoor dogs. I ALSO DID NOT SAY THAT THEY ARE CRATED ALL DAY:eek: Mod Edit. I speak of my dogs behaviors toward their crates and how they go in just find with no fight or fuss. Never said they weren't better off than abused either, not sure where you are getting your words from. :rolleyes: I simply said that the reason people are against chaining is probably because of the bad seeds who neglect their dogs on chains. Next time thoroughly read my post before coming at me like that. Thanks ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Zoom

Twin 2.0
She wasn't talking about your dogs, she was speaking to your opinion and please refrain from blatant name-calling or further action will be taken.

Funny, I don't remember saying anything about how dogs feel in general :confused:

I specifically said crating is good for indoor dogs..then I said MINE love their crates... This was in reference to the person who said dogs are miserable in their crates..that person was speaking for dogs in general not me, so let me repeat myself..

Do not come at me about something I did not even say

Here...I never said this about dogs in general :)

misfitz

Ruddy Buttinski
Pretty much, you can't legislate responsibility. Though that apparently doesn't stop people from trying. And who's going to define "responsibility" anyway?

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
There are a lot of dogs that are living on a tether or chained up 24/7. I think that is wrong to chain a dog up 24/7. These dogs get no human interaction at all and the only time they do is when they are being fed and that is IF they are being fed.
OUCH! While I personally keep my coonhounds inside (being that we have only two), I know plenty of people who keep theirs outside on chains. One of my best hunting buddies does this, and his in tact male coonhound listens better than most of the "'house dogs" in my neighborhood. He gets off his chain periodically throughout the day and follows my buddy around to clean kennels and just generally meander through the yard. He's also a high quality show dog, and a working hunting dog. He's not lacking for anything, including human interaction (they have a fabulous and very special relationship!) and he is CERTAINLY being fed! :eek:

Other friends of mine were primarily tethering their hounds as well, and they got off the chains plenty for training, hunting hard almost every night of the week, and traveling to hunts and shows. And yes, they're being fed, too!

It's statements like the one you posted that fuels these HSUS-type groups. My goodness! Go to the HSUS's website and watch the video about "hunting with hounds" - but with the sound off! Aside from photos of a few emaciated dogs that were from who knows where, and one yahoo slapping his dog with what looks like a long horse whip, all you'll see is bordering-on-chubby, ECSTATIC dogs pursuing game. Listen to the commentary and suddenly all the dogs are skinny, neglected dogs who never see humans except on few & far between hunting trips... it's amazing.

I think this is a issue that can be affected by area.

Personally, if I tethered my dogs outside...unsupervised.... eventually one of two things would happen....

they'd be poisoned

they'd be stolen.

keep in mind where I live the largest lots are 1/8th an acre...and all lots but up to streets...

My nieghbor tethers their dog night/day...it barks like mad, sleeps in the street and nearly hangs itself on a regular basis. It scares passing children and annoys all the neighbors...I have also seen stray dogs attack it.

that said, the TETHER is NOT the issue...if the dog was tethered in a different area (say that back yard they don't use) all those issues would go away (expect stolen/poisoned, like I mentioned already)

or perhaps they shouldn't have gotten the dog to begin with, but thats another can of worms.

I understand som' of you tether for good reasons, but I must admit the first thing I think when I see a barking dog tied up in som'ones yard isn't "wow what a great dog owner".

The act has a stigma attached because others are ruining it for you. Unfortuanetly...where I live, I see it used incorrectly...all.the.time.

Lolas Dad

OUCH! While I personally keep my coonhounds inside (being that we have only two), I know plenty of people who keep theirs outside on chains. One of my best hunting buddies does this, and his in tact male coonhound listens better than most of the "'house dogs" in my neighborhood. He gets off his chain periodically throughout the day and follows my buddy around to clean kennels and just generally meander through the yard. He's also a high quality show dog, and a working hunting dog. He's not lacking for anything, including human interaction (they have a fabulous and very special relationship!) and he is CERTAINLY being fed! :eek:

Other friends of mine were primarily tethering their hounds as well, and they got off the chains plenty for training, hunting hard almost every night of the week, and traveling to hunts and shows. And yes, they're being fed, too!

It's statements like the one you posted that fuels these HSUS-type groups. My goodness! Go to the HSUS's website and watch the video about "hunting with hounds" - but with the sound off! Aside from photos of a few emaciated dogs that were from who knows where, and one yahoo slapping his dog with what looks like a long horse whip, all you'll see is bordering-on-chubby, ECSTATIC dogs pursuing game. Listen to the commentary and suddenly all the dogs are skinny, neglected dogs who never see humans except on few & far between hunting trips... it's amazing.
Their not saying that you can't keep your dog in a garage at night or a large shed. They are saying that you can't keep your dog tethered outside between 10pm-6am. Now I am sure that your friend that tethers his dogs outside over night has a shed or garage or a barn on his property that they could sleep in at night.

I think it is a great idea especially in some parts of PA where they have Coyote. What's to say that a Coyote will not harm a dog that's tethered outside. They kill livestock so I am sure that a tethered dog would be fair game for a Coyote and even easier because the dog can't run far if he had to.

DanL

Is there a problem with some tethered dogs and how they are treated? Sure, just like there are dogs who have problems who are not tethered. Lack of socialization, general care, basically being left outside alone. It's not just tethered dogs who have that problem. There are plenty of happy healthy dogs who enjoy being outside who are tethered for whatever reason- lack of funds to have a fence, whatever it might be.

If you don't want to understand why people might tether their dogs, then stick to the causes you might have a better grip on.

I don't tether my dogs because I'm lucky enough to have a nice sized fenced in yard, and they have free run inside and out, but I can understand the need and really, lack of issue when people use the tether responsibly.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Now I am sure that your friend that tethers his dogs outside over night has a shed or garage or a barn on his property that they could sleep in at night.
Bear has a dog house, he just refuses to use it. Unless it is flat out freezing rain and hail, he will sit his fool butt out in the rain. He doesn't even like coming in my apartment when I have him for a long weekend. He's a 75lb male and close enough to the house that I don't believe they've ever had a problem with 'yotes. The beagles are all contained in kennels with indoor/outdoor access at all times.

Lolas Dad

The law if it passed or not yet I do not know but it was brought up because their are people in PA who have their dogs tethered 24/7 and the only time they have any human contact is when they are brought food and water. Sometimes people do not even do that. Also if I was living in PA and a neighbors dog was barking in the dark of night being tethered outside all night I would have a complaint.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
So let people get in trouble for violating noise ordinances, or animal cruelty - DON'T punish the people who are doing it RIGHT! If we (I live in PA) just had more dog law officers doing their JOB and actually ENFORCING the laws we already have, it would be a non-issue :(

Lolas Dad

What ordinances would be enforced for leaving a dog outside tethered in the winter when the temps are around 10 degrees? What ordinances are violated where the dog that is tethered is not even provided a dog house?

Members online

No members online now.