Thinking of changing dog food.....is this a good idea

Says goodbye to chazhound....done with forums
Our pet food shop stopped carrying the California Naturals Low Fat Chicken and Rice.

Its the only store in the area that carries California Naturals and Innova.

We have been cleared to put our dog back on regular food (his pancreatitis was acute and last go round wasn't pancreatitis it was a parasite)

California Naturals has changed their chicken formula it appears and I am thinking of putting my dogs on California Naturals Herring and Sweet Potato.

Its 2 dollars more but I was told it would be good for them and sweet potato is good for sensitive stomach.

Has anyone tried this food and how did your dog do

(instead of 22 dollars a month we will spend 24 but I feel its worth it)

California Naturals is the best we can afford right now. (We are both out of work and doing everything we can to keep them on a good food)

A 15 pound bag feeds both our dogs for a month

We have like a days worth of the old stuff left so its going to be a big change I know.......

But the don't sell what they were on anymore

Also do you know if they indeed changed the Chicken and Rice forumula?

It was Chicken and Rice and now its Chicken Meal and Rice?

Boxer100

It is good sometimes to change food. We mix two types of foods for our boxer: Salmon and Rice and Beef and Rice formulas. His coat looks much better and he is very active. Fish is good for sensitive stomach and skin. We tried 3 other brands of food before that, and he had diarrhea with one of them and the other his coat started deteriorating.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
From their cat formulas, which have chicken AND chicken meal as opposed to chicken meal, you can see the difference as CaliNatural defines it:
Chicken is the clean combination of flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts or whole carcasses of chicken - exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, and entrails.
Chicken meal is the dry rendered (cooked down) product from a combination of clean flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts of whole carcasses of chicken -- exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, or entrails.
And more from their FAQ:
Fresh meats have around 80% moisture in them. Dry kibbles have around 10% moisture in them. Because of this, manufacturers are limited in the amount of fresh meats that can be used. Using a high quality meal that is meat based adds the protein without the moisture.
When you see a high quality meal listed above the grains in a food it ensures that the majority of the protein is coming from meat instead of grains. This may not be true if only fresh meats are listed first because water weighs a lot, and ingredients are listed on packages in descending order by weight.

Looking at DogFoodProject.com's product list, which is old and hasn't been updated for a while (2003), it looks like the product list hasn't actually changed... Natura just adjusted the name of the product to more accurately reflect the actual ingredients list.
So I wouldn't worry too much about changing.

For a while I alternated Auggie on all three CN products. I bought the smaller bags which last almost two months for him, so every couple of months I got a different variety for him. The salmon food stank of fish SO bad I couldn't hardly feed it to him without feeling ill every time I opened the food container, so I dropped that one out probably the second or third time I bought it, and just rotated between the chicken and the lamb... until he got a stomach buggy that was possibly related to having the foods switched around on him.
He's on the chicken formula now only. I would really like to rotate the foods for him and have considered trying the lamb again for a little while, but I hate to give him another upset belly. Unless your dog has a history of sensitivity with switching foods or is a breed that's somewhat notorious for sensitive stomachs (like shelties are) I wouldn't worry too much. =>

Members online

No members online now.