Is this a good way to train my 3month puppie to not run off while off leash?

EnglishWB

We have a fenced in Yard but I want to train my 3month old beagle to not run off while off leash.So I take her into the front yard and let her run around off leash and I will call her name and when she comes I'll give her a treat or praise her.So far it's working good but I have only been doing this for 2 days. Will this be a good way to teach her so when she gets older, she will just stay in the yard with me or if we go to the dog beach she will stay near and not run off or is their a better way?

lizzybeth727

This is a good way to teach her to come to you when you call. It doesn't, though, teach her where her bounderies are. Personally, for me, I think it's kind of a disaster waiting to happen to trust a dog to know where his bounderies are, even after a lot of training. You can't control everything, and there's inevetibaly going to be a cat run across the street, a smell down the road, or something else more interesting than your yard, and once your dog learns that he doesn't HAVE to respect his bounderies, all your training is lost.

It's usually even more difficult to teach hounds, because their noses are so good and their instinct to follow the scent is so strong.

For your yard, you can put her on a tie-out or just keep her on leash whenever you're out with her (don't leave her out unsupervised). At the beach, you could use a flexi leash or long line leash to give her some room to run, but keep her safe at the same time.

mrose_s

BusterLove
At 3 months your dogs probably pretty glued to you, but she is a puppy, and a beagle at that, so maybe not the best idea.

Beagles are in the same class as whippets IMO, if a whippet see's soemthing with their eyes, they go a lot of the time, they're a sighthound. If a beagle smells something, their distracted, their a scent hound. its expected.

I'd start with recall inside the yard, get it very solid then move to some new area's also fenced.
My boys recall is great... most of the time. But if your near bush land he tries to sneak away. His philosophy is that if you can't see him, he doesn't have to listen. And he loves looking for things to chase. It's actually pretty entertaining watching him trying to sidle off into the tree's while your attention is elsewhere.

L

Lyka_01

This is a good way to teach her to come to you when you call. It doesn't, though, teach her where her bounderies are. Personally, for me, I think it's kind of a disaster waiting to happen to trust a dog to know where his bounderies are, even after a lot of training. You can't control everything, and there's inevetibaly going to be a cat run across the street, a smell down the road, or something else more interesting than your yard, and once your dog learns that he doesn't HAVE to respect his bounderies, all your training is lost.

It's usually even more difficult to teach hounds, because their noses are so good and their instinct to follow the scent is so strong.

For your yard, you can put her on a tie-out or just keep her on leash whenever you're out with her (don't leave her out unsupervised). At the beach, you could use a flexi leash or long line leash to give her some room to run, but keep her safe at the same time.
I like the beach idea...
I think it is dual purpose your dog will have fun as well as you...lol

milos_mommy

Errr...yes and no.

Is it a good idea to let a three month old (or any age) beagle in an unfenced area, possibly close to a road?

Nope. Never.

But if you want to teach the puppy to stay close to you, then you can do the same thing in the back yard or another enclosed area, or on a long line.

L

Lyka_01

Errr...yes and no.

Is it a good idea to let a three month old (or any age) beagle in an unfenced area, possibly close to a road?

Nope. Never.

But if you want to teach the puppy to stay close to you, then you can do the same thing in the back yard or another enclosed area, or on a long line.
Got a point there...
But actually when you hang out to your dog...
Your probably 100% focus on him/her so that s/he will not be in trouble...:D

R

RedyreRottweilers

As stated above, the way to keep a puppy near you, and keep it from running off, is to keep it on leash.

IMO a Beagle will NEVER be reliable off leash, as they are always driven to follow their nose if they find a wonderful scent.

Set your puppy up to succeed by using a leash, and working with her in an enclosed area if not using a leash or longline.

J's crew

I live in the country. There are alot of hunters all around and I would say 90% of the PB strays I see are Beagles. Please keep your dog on leash at all times, especially at this age. It is rare to have such a breed that is reliable off lead. :)

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
You have a beagle. your dog will NEVER be 100% reliable off leash. Fact of the breed. I dont care if you put a GMOTCH title (good luck) on your beagle, if it gets a scent its gone. Fact of life. Its a hound thing be it a scent or a sight hound. No hound should be off leash ever unless in an enclosed area.

I have lost Emma a few times, mainly to my dad being cocky saying Oh I will teach her not to chase a rabbit or fallow a scent. Uh huh, 4 hour latter when he finds her or she comes back. Yup good training session you had huh dad? Eric has learned the hard way now about beagles.

No I dont have a untrained beagle. She has ALOT of hours upon hours in the agility ring.

I agree with alot of what the people post on here. At 3 months old any dog breed cant be trusted off a leash. Puppies have a very limited attention span and will find something of more interest than their owner quite frequently. And again I agree with a beagel and their inherent ability for scenting things and getting distracted by them. I always inform my students in my class that when you attempt to off leash train your dog make sure you teach your dog the "focus" command and then "stop" or "Freeze" command. This allows you to have more control with your pup off leash.
I will have to respectfully disagree with the idea of a beagel not being trusted off leash. Everything in time and diligence in training will allow it when the puppy gets a bit older. I was told a long time ago that I would never be able to have my dog off leash and respond. I have a Shiba Inu and they are notorious for taking off on a whim. But 5 yreas of owning her and equal that amount in training time and now she is glued to my side on or off leash. I completely agree with the idea of having complete control of your dog by having it on a leash. There is honestly no better way. But its not impossible to train any dog to be off leash. Its just a matter of training steps and adhering to your dogs needs.

Good luck with the training
If you have any more questions and want advice from a certfied obedience instructor contact me on my website.
Love your pups and have fun
Powerful Pups mom
http://powerfulpups.blogspot.com/

adojrts

Well I am going to go against the grain here. I have a breed that so many people say 'oh keep them on leash'. My dogs spend most of their time Off leash and I have yet to loose a dog.
The easiest time to start training is when they are pups, the younger the better. And my dogs will call off of a scent and in pursuit of critters, including squirrels, cats etc.
It can be done with lots of training and dedication, if the OP or anyone wants to know how I do it, let me know.
And it was all done with positive reinforcements, no E collars.
Lynn

Members online