Chocolate v. Yellow v. Black Labs

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Well I think IF my dad and I get a Lab puppy were just going to go see all the puppies and decide which one we like the best but I would prefer a female.
Yellows and Chocos are very pretty dogs but Yellows have that "sweeter" look to them.

lizzybeth727

I'm pretty sure that my dad will fall for the little Lab puppies since we have Jet and my dad LOVES Jet and would probably want a Lab puppy, but he don't know is that the puppy will be mine haha :D
You live with your dad? And Jet will live with this puppy? How old is Jet?

Many adult dogs (particularly middle age or older) get very annoyed with puppies. It can cause a lot of stress for the older dog, which in turn could cause a lot of health and behavioral problems. You might consider adopting an adult dog which will probably be easier for Jet to deal with.

And personally, I don't think there's any significant difference between black and yellow labs. I work with a LOT of labs, and the "softest" one I've met was black, while the most strong-willed was yellow. Chocolates are usually strange, though, probably bad breeding. But then again, if you adopt an adult, you'll KNOW what you're getting, which makes the decision a lot easier.

lizzybeth727

Yellows and Chocos are very pretty dogs but Yellows have that "sweeter" look to them.
There have been studies done that proove that people consider lighter colored animals "friendlier" than dark colored animals. More black dogs are euthanized in shelters than white/blonde dogs. It's not only dogs, either - cats (orange/calico versus black/grey), rats (peach hooded versus black hooded), even fish (gold goldfish versus black goldfish).

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
You live with your dad? And Jet will live with this puppy? How old is Jet?

Many adult dogs (particularly middle age or older) get very annoyed with puppies. It can cause a lot of stress for the older dog, which in turn could cause a lot of health and behavioral problems. You might consider adopting an adult dog which will probably be easier for Jet to deal with.

And personally, I don't think there's any significant difference between black and yellow labs. I work with a LOT of labs, and the "softest" one I've met was black, while the most strong-willed was yellow. Chocolates are usually strange, though, probably bad breeding. But then again, if you adopt an adult, you'll KNOW what you're getting, which makes the decision a lot easier.
Jet is around 7 years old. When my dad and I adopted/rescued Jet she was living with a 4 and 8 month Huskies and she did really well with them. Jet loves puppies to be honest, she plays with them and all but she will let them know when she is done by doing a low, nonaggressive grrrr at them. I would say my dog will do good with puppies since she's been around them alot before my dad and I got her.

lizzybeth727

I would say my dog will do good with puppies since she's been around them alot before my dad and I got her.
That's fine, but just throwing this out there for what it's worth: Within the next 3-4 years (while the puppy is still young, energetic, and very playful), Jet will probably develop one or more of the following: arthritis, cataracts, hearing loss, incontinence, cancer, organ failure, mental illness, etc. A puppy (or young dog, at that time), who doesn't understand that he's sick, will give him a lot of stress. I've heard many stories of older dogs becomming aggressive and attacking young dogs just because they don't feel good or are developing dimentia. By all means, do what you want, but just understand that 3 years is NOT long.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
That's fine, but just throwing this out there for what it's worth: Within the next 3-4 years (while the puppy is still young, energetic, and very playful), Jet will probably develop one or more of the following: arthritis, cataracts, hearing loss, incontinence, cancer, organ failure, mental illness, etc. A puppy (or young dog, at that time), who doesn't understand that he's sick, will give him a lot of stress. I've heard many stories of older dogs becomming aggressive and attacking young dogs just because they don't feel good or are developing dimentia. By all means, do what you want, but just understand that 3 years is NOT long.
oh ok. thanks. i will keep that in mind. :)

All of there temperments depend on how you raise them basically. ;) Goofy. All three colors. I have 2/3 colors. Chocolate and yellow. Temps are wonderful. LOVE to please, cuddle, and be lap dogs. lol Good luck! I have more info, but I am too lazy to write it as of now.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
All of there temperments depend on how you raise them basically. ;) Goofy. All three colors. I have 2/3 colors. Chocolate and yellow. Temps are wonderful. LOVE to please, cuddle, and be lap dogs. lol Good luck! I have more info, but I am too lazy to write it as of now.
thanks. and lol on the last sentence.

noludoru

Bored Now.
You want to be looking at the temperaments of the parents and the temperaments of the puppies.. not their colors. While color is nice, it's not even on my top 20 list. My dog is primarily black.. which is a color I honestly hate, especially without white to break it up a bit.. but he fits in very well.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
You want to be looking at the temperaments of the parents and the temperaments of the puppies.. not their colors. While color is nice, it's not even on my top 20 list. My dog is primarily black.. which is a color I honestly hate, especially without white to break it up a bit.. but he fits in very well.
I will be looking at the parents is all ways possible and the puppies the same. Health tests are a BIG thing with me since my first dog i had was a Black Lab and the mom had a disease and it went with all the puppies. So yes, everything will be reveiwed when I look at parents and puppies.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
IMO color can factor into personality. For example red & White Beagles are COMPLETELY different than the Tri's....and it's usually apparent right in the whelping box. Not better or worse...just different.

I don't discount colors making a difference...just because it does seem to in my own breed...and most Beaglers tend to agree.

GipsyQueen

It depends on the chocolate lines. Personally, I perfer Chocolates to black and yellows (maybe it's because I have one) but i have always perfered the chocolates. Chocolates are harder to breed than yellow and black labs. To breed a chocolate, and be certian that you will only get chocolate puppies, you have to breed 2 chocolate parents that only have chocolate in their lines. Breed the other colors, and you can't be certian.
As far as temperment.... well, it depends on how you raise them. My aunt had an 8-year-old yellow lab who was raised just as any other dog and was INSANE until she calmed down with 11 years. Gipsy is a pretty calm (and snotty) girl. MOST of the time, the only thing that sets her off is the door bell. She has a perfect re-call (she comes every time, but I wouldn't trust her not to follow something) and can calmly walk down the street by my side. Other than that she is as calm as can be and LOVES to cuddle ;)

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
thanks GQ.
I am still loking into getting a yellow, female.
I am trying to figure out names.
So help me yall. :D

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
IMO color can factor into personality. For example red & White Beagles are COMPLETELY different than the Tri's....and it's usually apparent right in the whelping box. Not better or worse...just different.

I don't discount colors making a difference...just because it does seem to in my own breed...and most Beaglers tend to agree.
My family has noticed that too . . . we thought it was just the English blood in the lemons . . .interesting to know that it goes across the breed.

H

HarleyD

There is absolutely no difference in temperament between colors. Coat colors are coat colors - that's IT! It's like saying a red doberman and a black/tan doberman are going to have different personalities or that a brindle pit is going to be different than his solid white brother. It's utter nonsense.

Breeding, raising and training are what determine ANY breeds temperament.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
But I've heard people say that there are differences between red and black dobes. I've heard (though of course I can't remember exactly now) that there are temperment differences related to color in Aussies as well.

Something this prevalent had to start somewhere and shouldn't be totally brushed off, IMO.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
It's like saying a red doberman and a black/tan doberman are going to have different personalities
HarleyD, how many Dobes have you gotten to know? I've lived with dobes for 6 years and have known many dobes a lot longer. IMO, there IS a difference in the colors... especially the reds and the blacks.

There is even a term in the fancy that hints at this difference - it's called Red Male Syndrome. Once you get a red male... hoo boy you're hooked for life. The reds have something that I haven't seen in the other colors. Don't get me wrong, some of my favorite dobes have been black (or fawn, or blue) but the reds have an extra spark. They have something extra, something special that can't be explained or understood until you actually own one, or spend extended amounts of time with one. I've known die-hard black dobe lovers who have done complete 180s once they got their first red... and the reason? The reason they give is simply "that red dobe personality".

noludoru

Bored Now.
If it is true, Zoom, and it's not just the lines... it would have to be proven that coat colors are linked to personality. Which I guess isn't that far-fetched, but it honestly seems a little crazy to me.

Members online

No members online now.