how big do golden retrievers get?

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Ok I thought that golden retrievers get to be about 60 lbs or so but the vet said no they can get 75 lbs and over! How big do MALE golden retrievers get to be about? I don't know much about the breeding but I know the mother is 6 years old and is about 60 lbs and we don't know who the father is but we're going with he is purebreed.

Elwood has really big paws though and he's 17 lbs, from what I can tell from our scale and he was born January 25th. He's the smallest of the litter as well.

Does anyone know how big they are breeding goldens these days?

jess2416

Who woulda thought
On the AKC website it said from 65-75 pounds but I really dont know...

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
On the AKC website it said from 65-75 pounds but I really dont know...
yeah I read that too. He'll probably be about that though I'm thinking. He was the smallest of the whole group just scared me that his paws were the size of Holly's paws when we got her!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I couldn't really say...I get more 100 lb Goldens in than the 'standard" sized ones these days. "Supposed to be" and "will be" are two totally different things these days.

bubbatd

I've had them from 70 # ( females ) to 105 # ( Bubba ) . Daughter's Seger was said to be about 70# at maturity but at 5 mos is over 50# . Size really doesn't matter ( except if you show and they were too tall ....mine always were within the standard height wise ) as there's more to love . Who knows how big Elwood will be , since you know nothing of his father . Enjoy him !

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
How old is he ?? I forgot :eek:
He's 12 weeks today. I forget too how old he is. I have to keep checking. I forget his birthday too though. I feel bad. Although for the first two days I kept calling him Elway instead of Elwood.

Grammy we enjoy him SO much! He is such a goof he's so much fun. The girls adore him too. Well Hannah doesn't enjoy him humping her but other than that she loves her little brother.

Members online

No members online now.