How to Introduce Cockatiels?

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
My sister is coming by later to drop off her 6 month old female Gray Cockatiel named Sweet Cheeks. Sweet Cheeks is staying with us until Friday because my sister, brother inlaw, and their children are going to visit her husbands family and they can take the dogs but not the bird and it would be easier for me to have SC here then to me to have to drive all the way out to her house to feed, water, and play with her Tiel. Well as some of you may know I own a 9 month old male Lutino Cockatiel named Scooter. We are planning on possibly breeding Scooter and Sweet Cheeks next fall and I would like for them to bond some here. So im assuimng it would be best to introduce them in a neutral envorment but any other idea and tips I'll be happy to take.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
just put the cages together for awhile, do not put them in the same cage, i have seen some nasty fights..but as long as they can see each other they will say Howdy do and how are you..then you can open the doors (best if they align so they can come an go to each other's space) if not i am sure they will be so happy to be together..can u imagine what it is like for a bird to hear the ones outside but not in your language..to live and love, but not with your own words..oh ohoh your bird is going to be sooooo happy!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
how are the birds liking each other? i can hear the cockatiel song in my head even now..my mom's bird called dorsey and I use to have a game..he would whistle and I would anser, then he would add and i would repeat..this got so long and exciting for him until i would finally lose the thread..it was fun for both of us.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Their getting along great I put Sweet Cheeks cage next to Scooters and opened them that evening and it seemed like Scooter thought it was time to show off. He started whistling andy griffith and whistleing like men whistle at women to her and she was just looking at him like thats different lol. They have been playing and preening each other today with only a few minor disagreements. Also i woke up this morning movely slowly cause i still don't feel good at all. And both Scooter and Sweet Cheeks were covered and usually Scooter flips if he hears that im up and havent let him out yet. I usualy say Morning Scooter to him but i did'nt this morning. Then I was standing in the hall (the birds cages are in my bedroom) and i here him say "Morning Scooter"!!!!!! I was so happy and got him to repeat it twice this morning. Im so happy considering Cockatiels airn't known for their huge talking ability and Scooter is not an easy name for a tiel to say but he did!!! Im so proud of my baby :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
he sounds like a terrific bird..i adore birds and have had the extreme pleasure in getting to know so many species..they would swirl around me when i walked in their flight pen like ribbons of colour...each so smart in different ways..the littlest finches will always be my favorites..we had a green singer that came in so hurt..i called my mom and said..my inn is full, do you want to try with this bird and she said yes....the little bird, no bigger than your thumb had no legs at all and was very weak.
Mom made a ladle perch for him and a platform that he could land on to eat his food and drink. He lived for over a decade singing in the morning and put the sun to bed, always happy, sounding more like a canary than the inkspot of a bird that he was...congrates on your boy's new words..if they speak at all they usual gain more and more..he must be very smart...(and very loved)!

Members online

No members online now.