Yet another dog shot in his own yard

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
It's a really sad story. I do feel for the guy and his poor dog but unfortunately I do agree with the cop defending himself even if it was the dog's yard and his house. It's ok to be pissed, it's ok to even sue the fleeing guy for the loss of the dog as a result of his eluding law enforcement, but it was a reasonable act.

I am glad they nailed the home invasion guy. As far as scum of the earth go these guys are right down there with rapists, and child molesters.

darkchild16

We are Home.
But they went in HER yard. Its not like they could have went around the front and got him Im sure. Just because some jackass went through my yard to get away from you doesnt mean you can shoot my dog.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
The problem is that by the account, they shot the dog for barking, not for attacking. I'll tell you for sure that if a bunch of people just dashed into my yard, my dogs would bark. They'd bark and posture and probably growl. But I don't think they'd bite. Sarama would put on a big show, but unless they tried to get into the house, that's what it would be. But she will stand her ground and bark at intruders in the yard.

Using the logic here, if a criminal comes into your yard, the cops shoot your dog. Because unless you have a really strange dog, the dog is gonna bark.

darkchild16

We are Home.
I just read it didnt watch it yet so I was just going by the story that said:
Police said the dog attacked an officer, but the dog's owner said that explanation is ridiculous.
Even with that there is a thing called a TASER. or even non lethal shooting to stop the dog. Yes I know shoot to kill believe me I know but a dog thats been shot in the leg/foot is no longer a threat if you are a cop.

Mine would be trying to bite anything in my yard without me there. Walker and Oakley are very protective.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
If a suspect enters your yard fleeing the police they absolutely can enter your yard in pursuit. If your dog makes any sudden move towards a police officer they absolutely can defend themselves, your yard or not. Police officers generally speaking don't start their day thinking how they can get their name in the paper, I'm sure they don't delight in shooting an innocent bystander's dog.

If the dog has teeth it's capable of biting, I can't tell you how many people think Poopsy couldn't possibly bite until they get built up with enough prey drive. Unfortunately in a foot chase you often don't have the time to stop and check the barking bouncing possibly aggressive dog to see what it's intent is. Also, most police depts don't issue tasers because they are insanely expensive, Seattle PD actually finally just got them because they're a multi million dollar purchase for the entire dept and since this guy was armed a taser would not be the weapon the officer had in hand.

A armed home invasion suspect isn't a petty criminal lifting gum off the store counter. It's in everyone's best interest that this guy is apprehended. Unfortunately the dog was in the right place at the wrong time, doing what dogs do.

Xandra

I would be OK with police shooting a dog on someone's property if it was a single officer pursuing a serial killer and he was going to lose the suspect

Police are supposed to serve and protect the public. They voluntarily sign up for the job and if an innocent party is going to suffer a loss it should be them, not a random citizen. They can taser, they can restrain, they can stand there and be bitten for all I care, but they shouldn't get a green light to shoot someone's dog on that someone's own private property.

That is if the dog actually attacked, I wouldn't be surprised if it jumped on the officer as well.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
a bunch of adrenaline soaked people...I don't think there's a dog alive that wouldn't bark. Yet another reason to not let my dogs outside without me.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Ugh. When we buy a house I'm building a 6 foot concrete wall with shards of broken glass sticking up along the top. That'd keep the crooks and the cops the heck off my property.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
The story would not open up for me,

But either way that is a very sad thing to happen to the family of that dog. I could not imagine. I know my dogs would bark their heads off and Emme would posture.

When I get my own place Im building a large fence. With electricity running along the top lol

mrose_s

BusterLove
Thats awful.
I don't think Buster would bite but he would put on a hell of a show if he suddenly found a bunch of people in the yard. Its ridiculous that dogs can be shot for acting that much like dogs.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
From the article I dont thing the officer was in the wrong.

They are chasing a armed suspect. Chances are they're not going in with tasers in that situation. They had every right to enter the yard in pursuit of the suspect. It is also stated that the dog attacked the suspect. OK, "jumped on". However in that situation a growling Doberman jumping on a suspect is a threat to the officer. They do not have time to wait and see if this large powerful animal with teeth is about to attack. Yes the dog was protecting its home, as it has every right to. However the police also have every right to protect themselves from harm as well. That does not give them the right to go into random peoples yard for no reason. Some departments are not issued tasers. Yes there are bad cops out there. We all know this. But until you are in that situation facing a armed suspect fleeing from you and a dog who, from the sounds of it, was going to bite you, then you cant really say, well why didn't you shoot it in the foot.

I really do feel for the owner. It was a sad situation.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
If the dog has teeth it's capable of biting,
and a man has a penis and is capable of raping, can we randomly shoot them too?

You had better believe that if someone enters my yard and shoots my dogs they are going to be facing a bullet too.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
and a man has a penis and is capable of raping, can we randomly shoot them too?

You had better believe that if someone enters my yard and shoots my dogs they are going to be facing a bullet too.
Don't be stupid. Sometimes in life *stuff* happens, it sucks sometimes more than we can imagine and yeah, sometimes it's not even fair. It doesn't ever give you the right to shoot a person at least not in most of the USA (not sure about Texas property laws.) The police dept in this case appears to be handling this the right way.

The police have a job to do, in case you're not familiar with how home invasions work that's where someone breaks into your house while you're home, ties you and your family up and if you're lucky just takes your stuff without killing, seriously injuring, or raping you or a family member. It requires a grown up evaluation of life to understand that a dog (yep even your dog) is not more important than a person, and especially not a police officer who is doing their job.

As far as your comment it's not about a random shooting it's about a behavior, a dog was interfering (possibly aggressively) and yeah got shot. If a man (or a woman) was behaving aggressively (or even possibly aggressively) you better believe I may use force if need be to neutralize a threat, penis or not. It doesn't matter to me that the person is someone you know and trust and "couldn't hurt anyone", just like it doesn't matter to me that your dog is one you know and trust "wouldn't bite anyone." If a dog has teeth and a working jaw it is capable of biting, to pretend that it just "doesn't have it in them" despite the behaviors to the contrary is simply delusional and will get someone hurt.

Members online

No members online now.