camera people

Ben promises that if he gets a new job, I get a new camera (it's my consolation prize for him loving his job and me hating mine). I love my Canon Powershot. I really do. I like how portable it is, I like it's size, I like it's price point because I drop it a lot. But, I want something that takes better action shots of the Pup. Better low light pictures in the house.

Suggestions??

DJEtzel

I started out with a Nikon D60 and upgraded to the Nikon D5000. I loved both. Both are entry ish* level cameras... settings to take pictures with AND manual to play around with. They were both really easy for me to use and I had no previous camera experience, but I'm able to use the Manual setting 100% of the time now! :D

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I have the Panasonic g3. It's light and portable, and has a sturdy aluminium body, but takes really good quality photos, can be used as fully manual and you can buy lots of different lenses for it (the pancake lens is permanently attached to mine).

It's not a dslr, but its almost a dslr, and the pic quality is just as good as some dslrs.

You can also use it on auto with some really good results, and you can get great low light pics (again, pancake lens recommended!!).

I always had canon power shots too :) the g3 is pretty good for out and about, I usually sling the strap over me and off we go. It's small enough not to be a nuisance.

I just don't use any camera as much as I used to.... And often can't be bothered so use my phone!!!!

But my recommendation is g3 for portability, weight, quality of pics and versatility.

Do you have a brand preference/budget?
I do not have a brand preference. I have a my Cannon Powershot that I really like, but I don't have any sort of brand loyalty to Cannon. But I know that this jump is going to push me to brand loyalty. Once I collect a lens or two from one brand, I am unlikely to want to switch to another.

I also don't have a real budget in mind yet. I want something that is beginner friendly, but with enough oomph and control to not become a frustration after a year or two.

You like your canon, why not a rebel?
I will look at the rebels.

I love my Canon Rebel XSI

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Yeah, I would say a rebel would be good. If you want to save a little you can find older versions to buy used. They're nicely affordable cameras new or used so you can sink some money into lenses, that's where you'll really want to spend $$ *laments*.

kady05

Well I shoot with a Canon, so I'd go with a Rebel. I started with a T1i and loved it. They're up to a T5i now so the older models can be found used for good prices. I'd go that route and invest in a nice lens, especially if you want to take better action and low light shots.

Well I shoot with a Canon, so I'd go with a Rebel. I started with a T1i and loved it. They're up to a T5i now so the older models can be found used for good prices. I'd go that route and invest in a nice lens, especially if you want to take better action and low light shots.
What's your favorite lens for dog action shots?

I'm pretty thrilled with my 80-200mm f/2.8...although you weren't asking me :)
Your input is equally valuable ;) you shoot with a Nikon right? I want a new lens but I'm stuck on where to go for less than $1,000. I love love love my 85mm but it's not a zoom lens which kinda sucks.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Your input is equally valuable ;) you shoot with a Nikon right? I want a new lens but I'm stuck on where to go for less than $1,000. I love love love my 85mm but it's not a zoom lens which kinda sucks.
I'd recommend to you what kady rec. to me, 70-200mm f4. The non is ones run about 5-600 used from what I've seen, is ones more like 900. It's a really nice lens, going to buy one or possibly the 2.8 v sometime.

DJEtzel

What is it that makes each lens more or less expensive? I randomly got this lens for my birthday two years ago and really like it, but I would like something a little nicer... I'm just not sure where to start analyzing them, spec wise..?

kady05

What's your favorite lens for dog action shots?
I'd recommend to you what kady rec. to me, 70-200mm f4. The non is ones run about 5-600 used from what I've seen, is ones more like 900. It's a really nice lens, going to buy one or possibly the 2.8 v sometime.
Yup, that! 70-200mm f/4 (non IS) is what I have. It's also a great portrait lens. It is NOT good in low light though.

An action shot with it:

Portrait:

Oko

Silence, peasants.
What is it that makes each lens more or less expensive? I randomly got this lens for my birthday two years ago and really like it, but I would like something a little nicer... I'm just not sure where to start analyzing them, spec wise..?
How sharp the images are/image quality, how accurate the colors are, speed of focusing, how durable the lens is (weather sealed, etc.), how low the fstop number goes (important for low light), whether or not it has image stabilization (not sure if it's a different term for nikons?), etc. is all going to effect the price, to name some things. When I'm considering a lens I like to go on flickr and search tags for the lens, and see what kind of photographs have been taken with it.

Oh, and Kady, sorry for not capitalizing your name, was on a phone and didn't notice. :)

Members online

No members online now.