Would you give money to someone rehoming?

LauraLeigh

The reason I ask is I have found a JRT/Pug mix who is absolutely adorable... Is good with kids, other dogs and cats....

He comes with his crate, leash, food (which is actually wellness, not Old Roy!) all health records and rabies, toys a bed.... He's well trained on basic obedience

She's hoping to recover some of the value of his "stuff" and also weed out people just looking for a "free dog" as she was advised to do...

Parting with him due to a divorce and move out West

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Yes I would.

Not an outrageous amount of course but I certainly wouldn't expect a free dog.

DJEtzel

If the dog were utd on vaccines and being rehomed responsibly, I would pay a small fee to cover the vaccines/items coming with him if I needed them. I wouldn't pay over $150 for a pristinely kept/trained dog though being rehomed by someone I didn't know.

I don't see why not, as long as it's a reasonable fee.

It sounds like she took good care of him and is wanting to find him a home that will do the same.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Nope. Unless it was specifically you were taking the dog and then buying the crate/whatever. Or if it was a small fee, maybe. But it would have to be a very small fee.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
If it's a reasonable fee, yes.

Also, pictures?! That sounds like an interesting mix.

LauraLeigh

She's looking for $200, and said if I being a vet reference she may lower that, she's really just wanting to be sure he has a good home, I may meet him then give her my vets number..

Oh it seems he squeaks in under weight enough to fly! Allowing for carrier weight!

LauraLeigh

I'll share pictures once I'm sure she won't mind, I haven't ruled this guy out yet, they are not looking for a fee, but he's oversize and would have to fly cargo, as checked luggage which is no more expensive but I would think alot more stressful...

I've decided to really try and find an adult rehome, or rescue as I'm not truly enjoying the puppy stage with Larry... I forgot how much work it was!!

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
No...

And if you don't mind me saying, are you sure you want the dog just NOW?

I know things have been horrible for you and there is a massive void there. And I know that I won't understand how that feels....

But you've just got the two puppies, don't you think it might be an idea to get them on the right track first, then add another?

I'm not saying its a bad idea, just are you 100% sure you want this dog, are you filling a hole in your heart?

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I could understand wanting like $50 for that size crate, but why should she be getting money back for food and rabies? Those are expenses you take on when you get a dog. That's like "oh, I changed my mind, I don't want this dog, here, pay me for what I've spent on it!"

DJEtzel

I could understand wanting like $50 for that size crate, but why should she be getting money back for food and rabies? Those are expenses you take on when you get a dog. That's like "oh, I changed my mind, I don't want this dog, here, pay me for what I've spent on it!"
That's a really good point. I guess I always thought of it as "I would have to pay this anyway..." (or more)

LauraLeigh

No...

And if you don't mind me saying, are you sure you want the dog just NOW?

I know things have been horrible for you and there is a massive void there. And I know that I won't understand how that feels....

But you've just got the two puppies, don't you think it might be an idea to get them on the right track first, then add another?

I'm not saying its a bad idea, just are you 100% sure you want this dog, are you filling a hole in your heart?
We actually only have one puppy, we decided to let the people we were staying with keep Sophie, they fell in love with her and the pups were bonding so tightly to each other that they were not too interested in people... We made sure her breeder was ok with that first...

It's just so quiet here with one little pup, I may be trying to fill a hole, that's true, but I really miss having some bustle around the house...

I don't know what to do to be honest, but I may be flying home more often and was terribly lonely there without a pet

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
Yes , I would pay a rehome fee , you would pay an adoption/purchase fee right?
Especially for a vetted , trained dog with crate and things.

As to just trying to fill a void , so what ? It is not like you have 57 dogs and want one more because you stubbed ya toe, You have one dog that is more your hubbies , I see nothing wrong with getting your own dog.

HUGS

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Yup, this is how I've always though of it.

Money exchanging cannot replace, nor ime better guarantee, getting to know the new home.

I don't really care "why" they want money back for food or rabies. If I really wanted a particular dog and it was within my personal financial limitations, I'm going to pay it and get the dog I want instead of being righteous and dogless.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Yes , I would pay a rehome fee , you would pay an adoption/purchase fee right?
Especially for a vetted , trained dog with crate and things.
Rescues and rehomes are not the same thing.

Rescues don't get dogs and then try to sell them when things don't work out. It's not the same IMO, to each their own but I would not purchase a pet because it didn't work out because frankly these are things that we shouldn't be recouping costs on.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Rescues and rehomes are not the same thing.

Rescues don't get dogs and then try to sell them when things don't work out. It's not the same IMO, to each their own but I would not purchase a pet because it didn't work out because frankly these are things that we shouldn't be recouping costs on.
This. So much this.

Members online