In ICU with Dad...

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
While I was at work yesterday, my dad called me at lunch and told me he needed me to come take him to the hospital immediately. He had been going through severe abdominal pain on and off for three weeks apparently (I didn't know this), and had been having issues controlling his bladder. He had lost a ton of weight and was so weak I had to wheel him into the ER in a chair.

They discovered his potassium was dangerously low and his blood sugar was 306. When they did a c/t scan they discovered that his bladder was EXTREMELY enlarged, but he didn't feel like he needed to pee. They catheterized him and got a liter of urine out almost immediately. Apparently his urine was backing up into his kidneys due to an obstruction and that was the cause of the pain.

They admitted him and sent him to the ICU to stabilize his potassium levels and make sure his heart was not damaged, as he had two abnormal EKGs. They also discovered he had diabetes. The urologist thinks the issue is a very enlarged prostate so they are going to put him on meds and see how that works. If it doesn't they are likely going to do surgery.

My aunt says that he has ruined his mattress and that the house is filthy. :( He is out of work right now so it seems that I will be buying him a new mattress, but I am trying to find a delicate way to bring it up. My aunt wants to come up and stay (she lives 3 hours away), but can't stay at his house without a new matress and claims that the house needs to be cleaned by a service. I know I certainly don't have time to clean it between going to work and coming up to the hospital, taking care of dads bills, etc. My aunt can't stay at my house because she is literally allergic to every animal I own, and even if she weren't she goes nowhere without her Maltese who I really doubt Sally would tolerate.

Plus, dad has no health insurance, so that's awesome *sigh*. I was very certain not to sign ANYTHING because I CANNOT afford to be held responsible for this bill, which I'm sure will be massive.

As of right now dad's potassium is still too low and they are having some trouble getting it where it should be. His urine looks like red Kool-Aid, which is super creepy but the nurse assures me it is to be expected considering his circumstances. The worst thing now is that he is having severe bladder spasms, and he is in excruciating pain when they happen and there's nothing that can be done as they are already giving him powerful pain meds. :(

So I'm laying here now next to his bed in the hospital recliner in the dark while he sleeps. I was crying in bed last night and Jack, who normally sleeps at the foot of the bed scooted up and snuggled next to me. One thing I love about him is that he is a very sensitive dog and fusses over me if I cry.

So, if anyone has spare vibes or prayers for my dad, that would he awesome and very appreciated. And if you read all of this you get cherry hospital Jello with whipped cream on top.....

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Oh gosh. =< I hope they can get his potassium levels under control and he can start feeling better. Just take it one thing at a time... no other way to go about it. ((((((HUGS)))))

Jenne

Ball Thrower
Hope your dad gets well soon. If he doesn't have any income he may qualify for health insurance through the state or federal government.

Sending tons of healing vibes to your dad!

Does your dad belong to a church or another group where there might be a group of ladies willing to pitch in to help get his house in order?

As far as not having health insurance check in at the business office at the hospital. I know our local hospitals have people to assist patients to get assistance with their medical bills.

ACooper

Many many prayers for your dad and the whole family.

If there's anything I can do Sally, please don't hesitate to ask.

Doberluv

I'm so sorry for your Dad and you. He sounds just miserable. I do hope they get him under control and things leveled out so he'll recover soon. Lots of get well vibes headed his way.

joce

Thinking of you both!

The hospital will want to go paid so they should be trying to set him up with insurance if he is eligible in any way. To make sure put in a call to the social worker on his unit and discuss it. And mention the condition of his home. Is there a lot of confusion? Has his home always been like this? See if it looks like he has been eating at home. Is he depressed? Ask he been seen by psych and neuro if you think it's needed. They will get him stepped down to rehab at a nursing home sooner than you think likely.

And before he goes home they should have a diabetic educator really sit and explain things to him. May be good if your there.

How old is he? Sometimes just a uti can have some people way off. Hopefully he will be feeling much better soon.

Toller_08

(((hugs))) I am really sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope they're able to get him all sorted out soon! That sounds awful. Lots of good thoughts headed your way!

Members online

No members online now.