"Breeding Quality"

Is this a real thing? It seems that I see a lot of ads (all from BYBs/Puppy Mills) advertising Pet, show and breeding quality animals.

Does this ever happen with reputable breeders? Maybe a dog who is structurally lovely and health tested but is mismarked and can not show?

I'm really curious about this.

Red Chrome

To me a puppy is nothing more than a prospect. Some Yvette better potential than others but they are merely prospects till they mature.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I think "breeding quality" is a stupid buzz word that doesn't really mean anything.

However "can be shown" isn't the only measuring stick for if a dog should be bred or not, so, sure, why not? It's not often you'll find a breeder advertising a dog who would make a good addition to someone's breeding program publicly though. Usually they already know people looking or they just kind of put the word out in their circle and somebody knows someone looking for something...

SaraB

I'm pretty sure it's a relative term and doesn't really mean anything. What I think is "breeding quality" is going to be different from what someone else would think. Plus, you really have no clue if puppies will turn out to be what you want to breed anyways, so generally puppies labeled as such are really misleading.

Freehold

Well, it's not hard to define non-breeding quality... Maybe the rest are breeding quality? I mean, I've had several of my dogs go to breeding homes, and some have been bred and others have become pets because they grow up to not quite be suitable. I'd never think of advertising a puppy as breeding quality though.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Sometimes a dog is born where they are not what one would consider a great show/working dog but may be a dog who can produced crossed to the right "type" a really high quality show/working dog.

In some breeds a true dominant or high fight drive male is a prize find - not as a working dog - sometimes the dog just thinks so highly of himself that biddability will always be of question but even a shade of that kind of confidence in his offspring will increase their working potential as adults. This would be considered a "great dog for breeding" but maybe not so much for competition.

In my own breed a really correct structure bitch that never really gets the modern sweeping coat is also a prize find - even if UKC is the only place she could hope to point. Poor fronts are often a common issue even in the best coated lines.

Members online

No members online now.