Ears?

bubbatd

I've only seen them in Pitties ...... look like a boxer's " cabbage ear " to me .

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Good question Renee!!

I've always like the ears part of the Pemmie standard -

Ears-Erect, firm, and of medium size, tapering slightly to a rounded point. Ears are mobile, and react sensitively to sounds. A line drawn from the nose tip through the eyes to the ear tips, and across, should form an approximate equilateral triangle. Bat ears, small catlike ears, overly large weak ears, hooded ears, ears carried too high or too low, are undesirable. Button, rose or drop ears are very serious faults.
Not very many breeds mention the ears moving and reacting to sounds. :D

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Oh Renee, I think "rose" ears are the ones that are facing forward and don't stand at all, they do kind of look like a rose petal?

Bat Dog says "What about mah eahrz?"

Hehe...

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
When I hear "Rose ear" I think of Greyhounds and some other hounds whose ear carriage is folded onto their head - so when you look at them it looks abit like a rose.

Ok - just found this:
Rose (folded) ears, small in size and when unfolded, triangular in shape. Emphasis is put on ear form because a major cosmetic trait distinguishing the windhounds is in the form of the ear. Breeders who empahsize the conformation ring are quite intolerant of dogs with stiff upstanding ears.
Greyhound Breed Information

So, Tallulah's ears, with the kind of double fold thing going on, is that what's meant by a "rose ear?" Or is that something else?

Whens she's holding them more to the sides the folds are more apparent, but sometimes they just fold over forward.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
She has ears like Lily right? They kind of wing out to the side but sometimes are facing forward and floppy? Lily has a half standing ear (the flying nun style like in my siggie) but when she was a little puppy, and I'll be damned if I can find a pic, she has rose ears...but yeah the first pic you posted shows a rose ear, though they usually lay flatter...

Like this dog -

S

Squishy22

Tallulah has some sort of cross between a rose ear and half-prick ear it looks like, but I'd say mostly rose. I am no ear expert thought.

Wow, that corgi one sure is unique.

BostonBanker

Tallulah has Meg ears. They are without a doubt the best kind, because if you don't like the way they look, they will change within a few minutes!

I've always thought rose ears were like the one on the sighthound as well.

Romy

Taxiderpy
This is more of a half prick

And this is more of a rose

Strider has rose ears, which is correct for a borzoi. Most sighthounds have them. They greyhound pic bigpoodle posted is a perfect example of a rose ear.

A lot of sighthounds will also hold their ears at half prick when at attention, like when a bunny is zooming by the fence ;)

The puppy on the left in this picture also has rose ears

Tallulah has Meg ears. They are without a doubt the best kind, because if you don't like the way they look, they will change within a few minutes!

I've always thought rose ears were like the one on the sighthound as well.
LOL! And sometimes one of each :D I love her ears -- I'm so glad she wasn't cropped. Some dogs look amazing with a crop, but I love the personality of most Pittie ears.

ACooper

Little miss Phoebe has the rose ears too :) Hers NEVER fold forward. This is how they are 24/7 She can perk them for noses and such, but they just raise slightly and that's it.

Front view:

Side view:

Dekka

Just try me..
Lula just has drop ears...JRTs do.. they are soo expressive and changeable.

Bounce and Dash's ears are rose ears. (and the previous example was good too)

the whippet on the left is trying to prick its rose ears up (doesn't work so well) the one on the right isn't.

mrose_s

BusterLove
My personal favourite are prick ears, like Buster's. His are so strong I can't even fold them inside out, I love them.

Sophie has Rose Ears, they suit her down the ground. I'm guessing she probably got them from the boxer in her.

And Harry's just fold straight over. They suit him perfectly.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Millie has rose ears. :D

(In this pic the wind is blowing one of them up, though)

Teeny has PERFECT rose ears

Blue has rose ears as well, though his aren't long enough, IMHO, to be perfect ;)

He looks more like the Flying Nun!

I'm wicked picky about ears. I can't STAND drop ears in my breed. Drives me out of my mind. Of course the sire to Teeny's litter has one rose and one drop. I'm crossing my fingers for all rose!!!

Members online