Aquarium lighting

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I have a topfin 5.5 gallon setup. My lighting is very yellowish. I'd like something more blue or white. Here is what I have:

(In person it's more yellowish even).

Here's what I'd like:

How do I find what I'm looking for? I have tried to find different lights at Petsmart with no luck. Each one I bought was still yellow.

~Tucker&Me~

Are you trying to grow plants or does that not need to be factored in?

Don't bother with aquarium stores. Is the fixture in your tank for a screw in bulb or a tube? Go to your local hardware store and look for a bulb/tube that is within the allotted wattage range that your lid is capable of but look for one that is 'cool white' and not 'soft white'. Cool whites tend to have more of a blue, crisp tinge rather than the yellowy type you have.

However, I do agree with CharlieDog that your background is probably helping to make it look on the yellowy side.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
It's a screw in bulb. And thank you I will check the hardware store!!

The background is pink and white, I wouldn't think that would give off yellow? The rocks I could see, though. The light still looked yellow before I put the background on. But I'm changing my rocks out to white so maybe that will help.

Is your bulb incandescent? See if you can find a florescent (cool white) light that fits. Or if incandescent again look for cool white, they often have different hues..cool, warm, natural, etc

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
The lower on the kelvin scale, the more yellow it will be. Higher kelvin will be more blue. Look for a saltwater bulb. You need to know what kind of replacement bulb you need, and get one that is called "reef bulb" or "saltwater tank."

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Thanks guys! I'd love a reef bulb, they are gorgeous, I didn't think to try them in a regular tank.. I will look. I took some pictures that I will post later comparing lights/backgrounds/etc. A bulb I have in one of my lamps (one of the swirly energy saver ones) is beautiful color-wise but doesn't fit in my aquarium hood.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
FOUND ONE! It's fluorescent and it has one "clear white" and one "cool blue" bulb. It's perfect.

Before:

After:

Members online

No members online now.