Stupid Dog Owners (RANT!)

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
The ammonia idea is a good one. I carry treats with me on walks, but only use them to praise Bamm when he looks at another dog. As far as oncoming unleashed dogs? I might have to invest in the ammonia. In the case with the offleashed dobermans, I ended up having to kick one of them to get him off my dog. That actually worked well since I kicked hard enough in his gut to nock him off his feet.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Guess I'll be investing in ammonia then. What about an air horn? I know that won't work for sound sensitive dogs, but maybe for some?

Chewbecca

feel the magic
I recommend HALT! dog repellent spray.
Mail men use it all the time. My sister-in-law has had to use it and it works.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
I have a few offleash dog stories myself.

The first one took place in the Between Time, after Coco but before I had Benji. I was in my old neighborhood walking Daisy and this golden retriever comes BARRELLING toward us on the street offleash with the owner like 10 feet behind going "don't worry he just wants to meet your dog!" and indeed once the golden got to us he simply sniffed Daisy and went on his way. Its a good thing I didn't yet own Benji at the time because he would have freaked the heck out.

Another incident that happened in the old neighborhood occurred when I had Benji. We were walking by one of my neighbors' houses where they had somebody visiting who owned a cute little bichon frise. As we were walking by the bichon came running out, his behavior all happy and friendly. The woman of course says "its ok he's friendly." while I am holding a freaking out Benji behind me. I tell her that Benji doesn't like other dogs running up to him and she says (about her dog) "Let him get bit. Maybe he'll learn not to run off!" :mad: I couldn't believe she said that. Her dog didn't get bit though because Daisy loves little dogs, and Benji doesn't actually bite other dogs, he just ACTS all big and bad. But being a small dog, her bichon could've got way more than "bit".

In my current neighborhood, Benji has been attacked by my neighbor down the street's female boxer (Foxy) twice. The first time the dogs and I were in my yard and she was in the adjacent yard with her boys because they were playing with that neighbor's kids and she just ran over and attacked Benji. Daisy grabbed hold of her skin on her back and wouldn't let go. One of Foxy's boys started running over to help and I told him to stay back because I didn't want him getting bit by any of the dogs. I did get Daisy seperated from Foxy and Foxy ran to one of the boys who took her home.

The second time Foxy attacked I was in MD visiting my friends. My parents had taken the dogs out for a walk on this gravel road that runs behind Foxy's house (and some other houses) when she flew at them and started attacking Benji. Daisy protected Benji again and sent Foxy back home bleeding. My dad called AC that time who just gave Foxy's owners a warning. I think Foxy learned her lesson though, she doesn't try anything with my dogs anymore.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
I had Ares at a park, and we were doing some obedience training - drop on recall - on a flexi lead. Someone else was playin ball on the other side of the park, and his dog - a pointer mix - decided to come running over to Ares.

Well, Are doesn't appreciate big dogs charging at him, he is DA, and I don't appreciate other people's dogs charging at us either. So the first thing I did was picked up Ares (I'm not going to let him get jumped on). The guy who owns the other dog continues playing ball while he yells over to me, "Oh, he's friendly!!" He didn't even call his dog! I had to walk over to where he was to bring his dog back to him. He continued to inform me that his dog is friendly, I informed him that I'm not.

Another time, I had Alley at a park and someone had 3 0r 4 little white fuzzy dogs and a little sheltie and they were all off leash. Well, they all decided to come meet Alley ~ who had great obedience training on her, but she thought little white fuzzy dogs were a prey animal. So I attempt to get Alley out of there, and the dogs keep following and they're up her butt. She's looking at them trying to decide who to eat first. I put her on a sit stay and asked for attention (at that point it that had become my only option for saving the lives of these little white fuzzy dogs.) Every time Alley looked at them, I gave her a light collar pop to remind her that she was under a command to watch me. The owner of this menagerie starts going off, talking to anyone who walks past him about how I'm abusing my dog, yanking on her like that. I told him that next time his off-leash dogs (we do have a leash law, ya know) came over to Alley, I would refrain from "abusing" her, and would simply let her eat a dog or two.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
*sigh* The weather is warming up, and the idiots are coming out of their hibernation holes, I swear!

I'm in the same boat as many of you - I have a dog that is *fine* if he's given his space, but a monster is a strange dog rushed up to him. Ronin goes into damage mode if his personal bubble is invaded by a strange offleash dog.

Thank goodness I've never had an incident... but I'm one to scan the horizon and listen for any noise that even *might* be a dog. I don't carry a spray, but I should. I know a lot of people who carry cattle prods (the kind that electrically shock) on their walks... works like a charm to keep any critter away!

Hillside

Original Twin
Django is kind of in the same boat. He is extremely reactive, but he isn't DA, he just wants to be BFF with every dog we see. We don't encounter offleash dogs at all. Why? Because I refuse to walk him in our neighborhood. There always seems to be SOME dog running around. I don't want to run the risk of a) them not being friendly and attacking me or my little monster or b) them being friendly and reinforcing Django's spazzouts. And c) our neighborhood isn't the greatest and neither Django nor I are intimitading upon first glance.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I just want to point out also, even though I didn't mention it in my first post...

Even if my dog WAS friendly towards other dogs when he is on a leash, I DON'T WANT YOUR DOG RUNNING UP TO ME!!! I don't care who the hell you are, or who the hell your dog is. Get the f*ck away from me.

(Sorry, I'm still pissy about this... Jess, where's my button? :D)

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Even if my dog WAS friendly towards other dogs when he is on a leash, I DON'T WANT YOUR DOG RUNNING UP TO ME!!! I don't care who the hell you are, or who the hell your dog is. Get the f*ck away from me.
Agreed!!

If I want my dog to play with your dog, I'll go to the public dog park. The fact that I am outside the fenced dog area should clue you in to the idea that maybe, just maybe I don't want to deal with your little fur ball.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Jazz is excelent off leash. However she has one weakness KITTY. she loves to chase them then hold them there and lick them. This being said I dont want her seeing one and getting hit by a car. Also I have a breed that most people are scared of and I respect that. She is never off leash unless in a dog park. I cant even take her there without a muzzle. Idiots have the DA foo foo dogs there and when the Chi attacks my dobe who will win and whos going to get blamed

darkchild16

We are Home.
:hail::hail:

Believe me Im with you 110% the only time I ever let Walker offlesh is when we are in the field because no one knows how to get to it or has gone there in the 4 years I have taken him and the woods at my dads house. We have only run across one dog there and Walker was acually helping me find it for the lady who lost it. Other then that he is on a leash and a chain becuase of the simple fact that we have stupid people in my neighborhood and i like the added security.

do any of you with reactive dogs carry any type of deterrents on you to ward off any approaching dogs?

I think it's completely ironic that *I* am the one with the dog aggressive dog and *I* am the one that carries at least 5 deterrents on me. I even carry a bad cuz ball as a distraction tool for Ella. And I simply pray the day that I have to use that to get her attention off an off leash dog, that that off leash dog doesn't enjoy squeaky balls as much as she does.

I know people who carry treats on them to simply toss at off leash dogs. I REFUSE to do that. I REFUSE to reinforce the behavior of a dog rudely running up to us. To me, it's also a good way to get that off leash dog to continue following you.
I haven't had a chance to buy any HALT! spray deterrent yet, but I'm going to. I usually carry treats for my dogs to distract them. For everyone else's dogs, I pick up a few pebbles from the end of my driveway and I WILL throw them.

My problem isn't really on walks, it's taking my dogs out to go potty. I live in an apartment and I guess all my neighbors think it's fine to just let their little fluff balls run outside to go potty without a leash on. Then, of course, when they see my dogs they come running towards them. Joey doesn't care, but Roxie has a particular hate of small fluffy dogs. She just wigs out. I'll bring her inside and I'll have to put her in her crate to get her to calm down. :rolleyes: Definitely doesn't help her leash reactiveness. She's gotten a lot better about bigger dogs, but she's got a whole lotta hate for the little fluffy ones! Of course they owners don't have a clue and assume since their dog is cute, little and fluffy it can do no wrong.

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
I will admit I allow my dogs off leash in my own yard because its MY YARD.

I have had more problems with people who can't control their dogs ON leash. Twice people with dogs they couldn't handle have broken free and run on to my yard. Maggie is really good with other dogs when not with Tucker. But Tucker who is STILL not neutered (not my fault he's my moms dog. She plans to have him neutered this summer) is very territorial when it comes to his property and his Maggie. And he will attack dogs who come into his yard if she is outside as well. And so a lopey dog will come running into my yard and I will yell for Maggie and Tucker to come. Which 9 times out of 10 they responded wonderfully when in that situation. But sometimes Tucker lets it get the better of him.

I always hear the "Its okay he's friendly" and I go annoyed "Yeah but HE'S NOT" pointing at Tucker. And you better beleive if Maggie thinks Tucker is in danger she will defend him. Its annoying.

Tenebrion

Ok, i completely agree, though our problem here in South Texas is the people who leave the dogs in their yard at night, the people who run up to him, and people who wont teach their kids that big dog/little dog doesn't matter, any dog can be dangerous. It gets so hot, i rarely take Brutus for a walk during the day. I do in the early morning and when it starts to get dark. He really enjoys walks to the bay front.

Brutus is a Rhodesian Ridgeback... He's naturally DA and Small animal Aggressive He's bred to be especially weary of people he doesn't know. I try to stress this to people and constantly get "But he's so pretty" and i mean, this dog will do a back flip to keep his eyes on a person. I take him on walks around the neighborhood when i know there aren't that many little ones out. Children around... ok, most of the people around here have no respect whatsoever. I do not mean to offend. It's just what I've witnessed while being here..

When i first got him, i took him on a walk around the streets near the house to get him familiar with his collar and lead. He did great. he was 3 months old. There was a family which *JUST* moved in. What did they do? let two weird unfed pittbull looking mutts run loose. They started killing small animals and attacking dogs. If the two women standing at the end of the street with their dogs hadn't told me, i would have walked down the street. I would never hurt an animal. But if anything were to try and hurt my pup, i would defend him with my life. We all called animal control. They wouldn't come out because it was after 7pm. So we called the cops. They came, took information and confronted the owners, who said "we" had no right to call the cops on them. We even got screamed at for it. Lord forbid i take care of my dog, and don't want him attacked.

What i really don't like are children, Not because i don't like them, because i hate the stigma a dog gets if he gets scared and makes a face at a kid because the child ran up to him from behind and completely caught the dog off guard. I don't understand where parents learn or think that letting your child run up to any animal with your arms flailing and screaming would be an ok thing. Honestly, it's happened dozens of times, i ignore or at least try to ignore every single person who i see on a walk. i talk to Brutus and keep his focus on me or the walk. I've had more than 15 children run up to him or scream and run past him trying to play with him. The poor dog isn't used to this. He's a very kind and friendly dog, as with any dog, within reason. You can't expect him to tolerate complete strangers when his first notion is to protect.

Not only do children bother us. But the people who put their dogs in short chain link fences at night. The dogs have no food or water during the night, nor do they have a lead or anything keeping them from jumping up on the 4' fence that's far too small and far too weak to keep them in. I've been semi attacked by three chow things... ive had a chow chow.. i don't know what mix these things were, but they were all very aggressive, and mostly chained in the fence that is way too small. Brute gets very aggravated by dogs who bark at me. When we walk past a fence and they have no light in the yard, i can't be expected to be able to see this dog hiding in the dark. Waiting till i got close enough for him/her to jump on the fence and snarl as i walk close enough to lose an ear.

Honestly. How old do you have to be before you say "i shouldn't run up to dogs i don't know" I don't figure i have to go into this one very deep. But the people who run across streets behind you and wait till they're right behind you to say "what kind of dog is that, can i touch him?" Not only do i have a panic attack.. but my dog is none to kind to that. Talk about PO'ing a big dog ...

Thank you for the rant, at least i know im not alone in this crap...

Which 9 times out of 10 they responded wonderfully when in that situation. But sometimes Tucker lets it get the better of him.

I always hear the "Its okay he's friendly" and I go annoyed "Yeah but HE'S NOT" pointing at Tucker. And you better beleive if Maggie thinks Tucker is in danger she will defend him. Its annoying.

It's the 10th time that the leash law is trying to protect people from. Not trying to jump on you, but I have heard that a lot, "Oh he NEVER left the yard before!" Well, he just did, and he chased me and my dog halfway around the block, Thanks.

Miakoda

Read my story on here about what happened to me, my family, and worst of all to my dog, Miakoda. She lost her life because of an unrestrained/uncontained dog and it's idiot owner.

And personally, unless your yard is fenced in, then you are still breaking the leash law by allowing your dog to roam your yard unrestrained/uncontained. I've heard the stories all to often about how "my dog has never left my yard before!", but all it takes is one time for someone else to have their life completely destroyed by your dog's actions.

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
you must live in MY neighborhood! The dogs are either off leash running around (we have at least one stray a day, it's ridiculous) or are TIED UP all the time in the front yard so I can't walk by. I have one DA dog, and one enormous reactive dog, so if I want to walk, I have to either do it individually or walk around paranoid and stiff and not enjoying anything.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Exactly. Oz is out in our yard, off leash and supervised BECAUSE there is fence all the way around our property. If there wasn't, I'dve invested in a runner or stake out for him. Not taking any chances whatsoever.

Members online

No members online now.