Down

Doberluv

Oh wow, yes....Chi's are a riot!

When i said a toy breed, i thought maybe it would be allowed in the house all the time because it wouldn't be as, well, labradory.
That is a remote possibility I suppose. At least I would hope so.

Since you didn't research the breed because you just got him from the pound, maybe it would be a good idea to do some heavy research now on your dog. Go to the library and get books on training dogs, look on the internet, go to the pet store, talk to your vet. There are many different avenues for you to aquire knowledge of your dog, and make your living situation comfortable, for both you and your dog.

I agree with you for leaving him on his run when he is outside because of the situation with your neighbor. I don't agree with him being left out there all day, everyday, but that is my personal opinion, and I am entitled to have that, and it is not criticizing you by any means, I'm not in your situation.

About the baby gate and him chewing through it, provide him with the appropriate chew toys or spray the baby gate with an anti-chewing spray, like bitter apple. Bring him in the house and start gating him off in the kitchen or whichever room you feel suitable for him to be in. Let him see that he is part of the pack, but when you are not home, he needs to stay in the kitchen. You need to show your dog that you are the dominant one in the pack, that you are the leader, by showing him this and showing him the appropriate behavior for him in the house, he will catch on. He won't understand the "rules" of the house until he is allowed to spend time in there. Try starting him off in a puppy proof room and then gradually allow him more freedom. He is just a 7 month old puppy, you need to be his teacher and facilitator.

Playing fetch with him for 15 minutes is not nearly enough time for a hyper, excited puppy. You need to spend quality time with him. I understand you are busy with schoolwork and your own life, but if you are too busy to spend adequate time with your dog, why did you get a dog? 15 minutes of socializing with his family/pack is not enough time to establish that bond you need to have with your animal. Your dog will not stop acting hyper and crazy and destructive until you do some serious work and training with him.

Have you thought about maybe enrolling in puppy classes? Not only will that help with obedience training, but he will be socialized with other dogs, he will be spending time with you, and will be more socialized with humans.

Just a lil food for thought....I don't by any means want to come across as rude, but you need to assess your situation and try the options offered to you. I highly suggest researching your dog and finding adequate ways to work with him. If you do not have the time or interest to put into this dog, I really suggest re-homing him and providing him with the lifestyle he needs.

If you were in his situation, do you think that you would want to stay outside all day by yourself, be played with for 15 minutes, be left outside again, alone, until it gets dark, and then and only then be allowed to come inside with your pack? I doubt it.

Members online

No members online now.