What do you think Joey has in him?

RD

Are you dead yet?
Oh for god's sake are people really making a fuss because you're calling your ibizan hound an ibizan hound? that's not a black nose.

I think it's much fairer to say that he's an ibizan hound than try to justify why there is some terribly obscure, rare breed like azawakh mixed in there.

momto8

The dog's legs, from the elbows down, are actually fairly short. What makes him look like he has super long legs is a combination of long upper arm, shortish scapula, and almost no angulation between the two which is making the point of elbow fall awkwardly far below his ribcage.

Like these?

BYB/rescue dogs don't follow standards. ETA: Not implying the above dogs are either of those, I pulled a photo off the internet showing a structural point that the quoted poster said didn't happen in purebred Ibizans.

No BYB's don't, but typically it is something you do not see byb's in this breed are few and far between, and from the photo's i've seen of Joey his back is way more roached.

I know that Amber talks to me all the time and I have not heard of anyone giving her a hard time, this is very sad to hear and will be addressed to the proper people.

Last edited:

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
No one is giving me a hard time. That's not what I meant when I said some of the Ibizan don't think he could be pure. The people I've talked to are all Ibizan people that I highly respect in this breed. They are going off of their knowledge and experience with the breed. Undoubtedly they are all show people (then again I don't know of a single Ibizan breeder that doesn't show) and maybe there is a difference depending on the lines. They also pretty much all lure course their dogs too. I know the people I got him from said he came from a breeder in Florida. I seriously want to contact them to see if they can talk to his original owner so I can find out who he came from originally.

Whether he is mixed or pure, I absolutely love him and I honestly don't regret my choice to keep him at all. I do wish I could actually course him though instead of only doing CAT, but if I can't then I'll obviously stick with CAT and get my lure coursing dog later down the road. It's not the end of the world if he isn't pure... Really isn't.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
The dog on the left in that pic looks just like Joey's back to me though I don't exactly have a super trained eye when it comes to this stuff. I'd have to compare them side by side, but I just looked at him and his back looks just like the dog to the left.

I don't care about having a show quality type dog honestly. I used to be more interested in showing but my main things I really want to do with an Ibizan is lure course and I really really want to do a little rabbit hunting though he would have to be on a long slip right now.

Pops2

I found this and think it's interesting:

"Very dark brown or black eyes suggest impurity. If one looks at pictures of some of the rural farmer's hunting packs one will see many miss colored dogs with dark pigmentation. There are of course many stunning pure individuals in their native land. I have seen videos of entire packs of hounds that any breeder here would be proud to claim." http://www.amberlithe.com/articles/20

Because it sounds like dogs in the hunting packs in the breed's native land do sometimes have darker pigment. American breeders may have determined this is "impurity" but it can be hard to say what the truth is.
it's mostly (but not solely) a side effect of ribbon chasing that they glom onto a specific look within the wider variation of the breed & decide that ONLY this look is the breed. later the knowledge of the variation is lost and they start deciding older looks must be "impure." for example a LOT of show dale breeders are adamant that Matt Thom's slicks & broken coat dales MUST be crossbreds. they have all forgotten the woolly poodle coat was NOT the original preferred coat style. likewise solid red & wolf grey rottweilers, merle & brindle american foxhounds, black saddles on redbone coonhounds, short cur ears on plotts, brindle & B&T RR and labs, 20-30# fit poms & pugs, wrinkle free shar pei & neos, ETC.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Azawakh really don't have roaching. Many have high slung fila butts and many are flat backed. I think what makes Joey's legs seem long is that he's shorter in the loin than the standard calls for. Also, his head is on the opposite end of the extreme from what azawakh would have contributed.

And while there aren't many bybers in ibizan hounds, not all fit the standard. I'm guessing we don't see those often because they're placed in companion homes and don't make it to confo and performance events.

The roaching could definitely have been exacerbated by being crated too much/not enough exercise while he was developing too. That sort of thing can really ruin the body of even well bred sight hounds.

Aleron

it's mostly (but not solely) a side effect of ribbon chasing that they glom onto a specific look within the wider variation of the breed & decide that ONLY this look is the breed. later the knowledge of the variation is lost and they start deciding older looks must be "impure." for example a LOT of show dale breeders are adamant that Matt Thom's slicks & broken coat dales MUST be crossbreds. they have all forgotten the woolly poodle coat was NOT the original preferred coat style. likewise solid red & wolf grey rottweilers, merle & brindle american foxhounds, black saddles on redbone coonhounds, short cur ears on plotts, brindle & B&T RR and labs, 20-30# fit poms & pugs, wrinkle free shar pei & neos, ETC.
Good point. I think most breeds started off with a lot more variety than what many modern breeders would recognize. I have had non-PyrShep people question what is actually correct in the breed because they all look so different. I have actually been firmly told by multiple people am shows that "Pyrshep people really need to make the standard more strict. There is too much variety in the breed!"

Lyzelle

Definitely true, and ditto with the Sibes.

Aleron

Amber, do you think the Beezer people would be mad if you got a PAL number on him and did coursing? I really think he could get one but you couldn't keep calling him a mix :)

momto8

"The roaching could definitely have been exacerbated by being crated too much/not enough exercise while he was developing too. That sort of thing can really ruin the body of even well bred sight hounds. "

That is a thought I had, i would defiently get him to a chiropractor

momto8

"Looks pure to me. Someone should probably inform all of these breed "experts" that rescue dogs rarely conform wonderfully to their given breed standard..."

In Ibizan's most rescue's do though..including my own dog who is a rescue. there are some that don't, typically mixes,which is not seen often, but it does happen time to time.

and you can see some of the rescue Ibizan's that have passed through our IHCUS Rescue
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.262057183900490.48609.262049927234549&type=3

momto8

I do have to add one thing to this thread. And it does not really have to do with the fact that Amber's dog is mixed or not.

Alot of ppl seem to attack the Ibizan owners and breeders every time this subject comes up.

The Ibizan community is like a family, everyone knows everyone. They are supportive and great people who really love their dogs. We do have our issue's and don't always get along, and there are even ppl amongst our "family" that do not talk at all, but we are a group that are very protective over their dogs and their lines. We do not want the Ibizan Hound to become the next lab, they are not overbred, they are not just handed out to anyone, most the time you have to be on a list for years to get a puppy.
So I just wanted to put that, that we Ibizan people are not bad people, I don't know why it seems to be that everyone thinks that. We want the best for our breed, to keep it as it is, healthy and all around amazing dogs, much like the original 2 dogs that came to the United States.

And as far as I know and was told nobody has been nasty or mean to Amber in any way, they do however want her to know what she has, which is a very special dog.

Barbara!

I don't think anyone is bashing "Ibizan people". But you can't really say that they keep their dogs in check or they aren't handed out to anyone when some of them end up in rescue. I'm sure the breeders/owners you know are great, but you can't speak for every single Ibizan owner.

momto8

I don't think anyone is bashing "Ibizan people". But you can't really say that they keep their dogs in check or they aren't handed out to anyone when some of them end up in rescue. I'm sure the breeders/owners you know are great, but you can't speak for every single Ibizan owner.
Like i said..everyone knows everyone. And almost every Ibizan is co-owned and some do end up in bad situations, but are taken back by their original breeders and then adopted out, but they are labeled as rescue's because that is what they are..they are spayed/neutered and go on to pet and/or performance families.
It happens in every breed, unfortunately there are alot of shitty owners out there.

Pops2

momto*
i don't mean it as an attack on Ibizan breeders or even show folk in general, so much as an attack on a mindset. for example somewhere along the way redboon people decided the high tan or saddleback redbone was unacceptable regardless of the fact that many saddlebacked redbones were exceptional coon catching machines. likewise the plott folks eradicated teh leopard spotted plott (last known litter occurred in the 80s) and there is a big split in the breed now w/ one faction wanting to eliminate the buckskins (yellow). it's just nonsense. if nose color or coat color or type had ANY effect on the ability to do the job, then all scenthounds would be the same color, same nose color, same coat type, same ear length etc.
likewise w/ all the concern over existing limits on gene pools it is an inherently BAD idea to further narrow the gene pool based on PURELY cosmetic issues.

momto8

So if everyone knows everyone, why can't anyone trace Joey back to his breeders?
because he's not from any of the breeders that know each other at all, there are only like 2-3 breeders in FL and they did not produce him. and probably because he's not purebred..therefore he did not come from one of the breeders.

there is a possibility that he could have been a product of a dog that a woman that used to breed in FL, she was not a good breeder by far, ppl knew of her. She apparently tried to commit suicide years ago and from what i've been told nobody knows what happened to her. He could be a product of something she sold and then was bred by other ppl to something else. He's not old enough to have actually come from her though

Barbara!

I think it is very naiive to think that just because you don't know where he comes from, that he isn't pure bred or that you can possibly know every Ibizan breeder/owner out there. Sorry, but it just doesn't work like that and I am quite sure there are probably breeders out there that you don't know about.

momto8

I think it is very naiive to think that just because you don't know where he comes from, that he isn't pure bred or that you can possibly know every Ibizan breeder/owner out there. Sorry, but it just doesn't work like that and I am quite sure there are probably breeders out there that you don't know about.
that is not the only reason. there are many little things about that say he is not purebred, in spain there are dogs with darker pigment, but if you do the research and look back at historty those dogs were typically dogs that had bred with other breeds on the island, since in the past Ibizan's were left on the Island of Ibiza to fend for themselves for a very long time and sometimes they outcrossed. Hence why you do not see many imports from Ibiza, and when they are imported they are imported from extremely good kennels/breeders

and no I don't claim to know every ibizan person, to date i have about 400 or so that I know , a handful that i talk on the phone with and get together with, but pretty much all the breeders here in the US know each other, our dogs are pretty much all related in some way or another, therefore most research together, show together ect

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Woah guys. This was meant to be a fun "guess what else he could possibly have in him" thread. Wasn't meant to turn into a debate. Regardless if he is pure or not I've said it before and I'll say it again... I love this dog and I do not for a second regret deciding to keep him even if it ends up meaning I can't actually lure course for now.

Members online

No members online now.