our next dog should be??

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
Hubby has really grown to love shelties. but it is a fact they they do not fit his lifestyle the best. I picked a sheltie as our first dog, and I agreed that he can pick our next dog.

he would like a dog who's
a couch potato, not a hyper overly active breed
preferable large dogs, nothing under 40lbs
short or smooth coat
he likes elegant looking dogs

his favorite breeds (as far as looks) are
-greyhounds
-pharaoh hounds
-whippets (a bit too small?)
-saluki smooth or regular
- sloughis
-azawakhs (one of my fav breeds :) )
- great danes

Cheza

My votes go to Great Danes and Greyhounds. I was super surprised to learn they greys are really lazy hehe.

Cheza

Danes are typical puppies (just from my experience) and can be fairly hyper, but I've heard so many people say at 1-2 years they really calm down and just like to lay around on the couch.

mrose_s

BusterLove
yeah. grehounds are ment to be realy couch potaties to. but they do require a large safe area that you can take them for long fast runs 3-4 times a week

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
i read that most sight hounds are super lazy. they just need a good run or sprint every now and then.
they would get that from playing in the yard with Ruckus doing zoomies :)

oh of course go on daily walks! not for sprinting, i could never keep up.

mrose_s

BusterLove
if you could fin d a large fenced area, like maybe an oval. you could take it there.

but a greyhound would pose more of a danger to your rabbits. even if its very sweet 99% of the time. my mum had a stag hound that adored all my mums kittens, once they were all eating together out of one bowel. a kitten got up and ran off frollicing and before the dog even relised it, it grabbed the kitten and killed it. her dog sulked for weeks. but ts just their basic instinct.
so maybe go with a dane.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
yeah i know that being sighthounds they can never have access to the bunnies.
hubby says no irish wolfhound. they are huge, and have so many health problems and dont live long enough. thats also what i think of the great dane, but atleast he likes how a great dane look! he does like how a IW looks

mrose_s

BusterLove
okay. i saw my first IW the other day. i was running up the beach to catch up with mum and i saw this dog bounds up and TOWER over sophie. not many dogs can do that to her. it was MASSIVE.

i thought "OH NO" because if it came to talk to buster he'd have a go at it and i didn't need a fight between him and somehting 4 times his height. so i ran up the sand dunes and hid in the grass. lol i'm quite the courages type

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
id personally say a grey hound personally! there a wonderfull breed, real mellow, true couch potatoes, no real upkeep on the coat and generally NOT dog agressive.

I LOVE danes but as a breed they can occasionally be dog agressive (particularly same sex)(and like wolfies there huge and prone to a short lifespan)

whippets are fun too but i think would be too small.

Members online

No members online now.